Is my Cylinder Head still stuffed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, i am new here but i was told you are good for technical information.

I have just performed my first ever cylinder head swap, and i followed all the instructions and i think i either messed up or i got a crap head.

The head is a "new" one from the wreckers, it was straight to my straight edge and came off a running car so i was lead to believe i could trust it.

This could of been my first mistake.

Anyway its smoking/steaming from the exhaust manifold and dripping from the exhaust.

Does this defiantly mean its buggered?

You did all this work yourself and you don't understand the principle?

How long has it run in this video?

I see normal steam from condensation out the exhaust until it's up to temp.

The steam or smoke on top is from where you spilled oil or coolant or new gaskets.

Ate there bubbles in the coolant?

Milky oil or coolant? Otherwise, DRIVE it.

I would have taken the head to a machine shop to surface and check before installing.

Did you adjust the valves or anything, agree with above poster. Did you follow the fsm?

i followed the FSM for the most part, i had my Mrs Old man helping me out most of the way (mechanic),so if it was me it was referring the the manual. but if he was there i went with his knowledge... but he passed away before we finished, so pretty much after we put the shims in the rest of assembly was me.

The oil or whatever it is on the manifold is causing that smoke, same thing happened to mine when i did the oil cooler, that will burn off after a good run. the exhaust vapor/smoke i think is separate and could just be some leftover moisture in the block or head. My other guess would be the dizzy timing being out a bit and running a bit off.
Does it smell a bit rich or does it smell burnt?

i just set the timing to 0 degrees before filming this, should it be dead on or a little bit off?

It was smelling very rich before i did that

i just set the timing to 0 degrees before filming this, should it be dead on or a little bit off?

It was smelling very rich before i did that
Aussie spec is about 6-7 deg advanced from memory so i think you have your culprit.

This statement leads me to believe that you don't have the factory service manual. It's downloadable on this site just search. You need to follow it, short cuts may work on Fords or Chevy's but not on Toyotas.

Aussie spec is about 6-7 deg advanced from memory so i think you have your culprit.
As i ponder that last one i think thats the timing for the better quality fuel timing (91 oct and above) but i just went and checked on the lcool page and yes if you advance the timing to around 6-7 deg it will run better on most. In your beast im not sure how it will handle it but if your comfortable experimenting a little with the advancing follow this:
Ignition timing for the 4500cc petrol motor

if it was me i would go +4 to 6 degrees as we have better baseline fuel quality here

That stray cobweb on the tailpipe tells me you JUST got this running, right?

I'm w/ everyone else, drive it a few good ~10-15 mile loops & check it @ the house between loops, so you're on the same exact level / not level patch of dirt each check.

Monitor the fluids, park over cardboard if you think you're losing coolant out the headgasket.

Keep an eye on your temp guage, and if a bad fan clutch was what started this better check it's situation. Heck, I think it's sorta Summer in the Southern hemisphere right now so maybe you already hit that fan clutch.

Just idling in the driveway I think it's over 10mins just to warm up, let alone get to selfcleaning where you burn the condensate out the tailpipe or any that may be in the crankcase (prob not an issue for Australia???).

@Formulaonehd I see a smoking pair of exhaust manifolds which as mentioned looks like oil. From the tailpipe; I see condensate all around and I wonder what the outside temperature is? That looks like most cars on a cold morning and if your catalytic converters are working proper, you should have some degree of condensate and even liquid water coming out of your exhaust. If you're concerned about the steam from the exhaust I would just say keep an eye on your coolant and oil and be gentle with it for the first oil change worth of miles. Or, buy a block testing kit like what is sold at NAPA. That will tell you pretty quickly if it's the gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom