In Search of the Elusive 1980 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish that I had the definitive answer to the many mysteries surrounding the US model 1980 FJ55 :pig: but, just like everything else related to 55s, the answer is not simple or straightforward and there is a lot of conflicting information out there. So, I am going to put my findings, conclusions and speculations out there and let anybody that cares provide different facts and opinions.

After hours of searching Google and the IH8MUD forum (I know I should get a life), I report the following:

Facts:

· Toyota built the FJ55 (and the Japan domestic market FJ56) from 1967 through about July of 1980 (according to the Toyota Global site).

Findings:

· I cannot find any definitive proof that a 1980 FJ55 was made for the US market or imported/sold by Toyota in the US.

· Some have written that 1980 FJ55s were sold in the US, but that they were essentially leftover 1979 models.

· Most, if not all, of the 1980 FJ55s have “ambulance” or “barn” double doors in the rear. FJ55s with “ambulance” or “barn” double doors were never directly imported into the US by Toyota.

· I cannot find any FJ55s with US Frame or VIN numbers plates showing a 1980 model year. The 1980 non-US model FJ55 do not appear to have model year identification plates located on the drivers door pillars or elsewhere and I could not find any published data for the Non-US Frame or VIN numbers. So, the actual model year of non-US FJ55s is more difficult to determine.

Conclusions & Speculations:

· 1979 was the last USA Model year of the FJ55. According to Jonathan Ward, only approximately 250 of the US model FJ55 were imported into the US by Toyota in 1979. (It has been reported, but I cannot confirm, that his source for this information was Toyota USA).

In 1980, Toyota continued to import FJ55s into Asia, Australia, Canada, Central and South America, Europe and the Middle East, but they were not imported or sold in the US in 1980 (by Toyota). I cannot find any published data about how many were sold outside the US in 1980

Hi Guys, I just came across a 1980 FJ55, owned by the same people for 39 years. 2F with factory air. What do you guys think? I believe it is a Canadian truck. I should get to see it in the next few weeks. I have pursued for almost a month now as someone gave me a lead.

Is this the Holy Grail for the Model? I want to take this in to account in case I have the opportunity to purchase so that I am fair with the current owner.

Hi Guys, I just came across a 1980 FJ55, owned by the same people for 39 years. 2F with factory air. What do you guys think? I believe it is a Canadian truck. I should get to see it in the next few weeks. I have pursued for almost a month now as someone gave me a lead.

Is this the Holy Grail for the Model? I want to take this in to account in case I have the opportunity to purchase so that I am fair with the current owner.

Original owners? AC?
Definitely sounds interesting!

The “Holy Grail” for any 55 is condition (least amount of rust) regardless of year or rarity.

Lots of US pigs will be unique enough to be called 1 of some really low number to be imported but unless they are completely original (unmolested) and in exceptional condition then really they’re just a driver and should be enjoyed and valued accordingly.

Good luck, post lots of pictures if you get to go see this one.

Last edited:
@PabloCruise & @J Mack I will definitely take your comments in to consideration. Owners are the original owners and the truck is Inspected, Serviced and driven regularly and owners have all documentation on the truck (manuals/window stickers) plus all maintenance receipts. I will definitely post pics when I see it. My hope is to find a rig in fantastic condition that is rare because it's well kept and even rarer because of the year.

I will check build dates and let you guys know. Thank you for the feedback!

The “Holy Grail” for any 55 is condition (least amount of rust) regardless of year or rarity.

Lots of US pigs will be unique enough to be called 1 of some really low number to be imported but unless they are completely original (unmolested) and in exceptional condition then really they’re just a driver and should be enjoyed and valued accordingly.

Good luck, post lots of pictures if you get to go see this one.

The ‘74 year is probably the most in-unique. Seems like there are lots of them...

Post up some pics, I had a late ‘79 with factory PS and 3:73 gears. The tail and license plate lights are damn near impossible to find at this point (so make sure they are at least there). Otherwise pretty much like any other piggy 🐷

Hopefully you have some kind of car warehouse you can park it and have Jeeves tend to the cleaning and once a month driving around the block.

The Land Cruiser market is an enigma. One of the only ones (at least that I know of) that will demand these ridiculous prices on the most utilitarian of vehicles. But the further we get from the era, and the fewer of them there gets to be, the rarity value increases. Soon we’ll be to the point that those that remain never see the likes of a dirt road again because the owners are terrified of depreciation.

Is this red and white? If so the A/C is add-on.

An 80 was just listed locally here in bc. I am going to try and get it

An 80 was just listed locally here in bc. I am going to try and get it
The one rusted to nothing? I’m interested in a late grill if you do pick that up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom