i wanna go V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello all, i wanna go a v8. Im thinking of an LS, not sure which one but i have to daily this car so id like to try go something with alright economy. I have a few questions if could help me out that would be unreal.
1. what type of fuel economy would i roughly get with a LS 1,2,3? (running 35's)
2. which one is most reliable?
3. how much would is roughly cost to put one in professionally?
4. is there any other V8's i should look into?

cheers

You have a lot of reading to do. Ton's of info use the "Search Forums" at the top of the page.
:beer:

Others will disagree, but I've come to the conclusion that if you want a V8 in a cruiser - buy a 100 series. They're cheap nowadays

Yes but the 40 will always have more personality. You have to take a second look to tell a 100 from a 200 or a sequoia or 4runner.
To an untrained eye they even look like Expeditions, Explorers, Infinitiy and Rover. New cars lack the personality of old cars. I think
manufacturers are too afraid they'll lose sales if they stray too far from normal. In 45 years of driving I still one favorite driver, a fuel
injected v-8 powered , topless FJ40. Outside of a couple motorcycles I've owned it's the only vehicle I've ever just jumped in to drive
for hours with no intended place to go..... of course that only applied to nice weather days but in the Phx area there a lot of them

hello all, i wanna go a v8. Im thinking of an LS, not sure which one but i have to daily this car so id like to try go something with alright economy. I have a few questions if could help me out that would be unreal.
1. what type of fuel economy would i roughly get with a LS 1,2,3? (running 35's)

cheers
First post and you are from Australia with a 60? Search here will list a couple of dozen builds of guys who go through
the whole process. You've got to decide stick or slushbox, that is going to make a big difference in which generation
engine you look at. Also, wiring issues. If you get it done professionally, make damned sure they can deal with the
wiring. There are any number of threads of guys who have an engine installed, and then they spend months here
trying to work out problems and errors.

Last edited:
I have a friend in Vermont who has a 5.7 vortec I think. It came out of his Tahoe and he no longer has the Tahoe. If you are near Vermont I’m sure he’d make a deal

Wow. Your in Australia, seem to have concerns about reliability and fuel economy, and you're not looking at a diesel? People here would love to have access to the Toyota diesels that you have access to.

Last edited:
Yes but the 40 will always have more personality. You have to take a second look to tell a 100 from a 200 or a sequoia or 4runner.
To an untrained eye they even look like Expeditions, Explorers, Infinitiy and Rover. New cars lack the personality of old cars. I think
manufacturers are too afraid they'll lose sales if they stray too far from normal. In 45 years of driving I still one favorite driver, a fuel
injected v-8 powered , topless FJ40. Outside of a couple motorcycles I've owned it's the only vehicle I've ever just jumped in to drive
for hours with no intended place to go..... of course that only applied to nice weather days but in the Phx area there a lot of them

Anyone with an untrained eye says a 40 is a Jeep. A few weeks ago I overheard someone in a parking lot talking about my 60 and they said "Look at that Bronco!". But I get what you're saying.

You have a lot of reading to do. Ton's of info use the "Search Forums" at the top of the page.
:beer:
this x2. i've said my piece in an other thread regarding v8 options ... there's a multitude. in the end the one that puts a $h!t eating grin on your face is the correct one
welcome to mud

Last edited:
Your talking about a 60s series Landcruiser in Australia and wanting to go LS... are you out of your mind
ADEBBE84-A64E-44C0-A3F0-0E990A272CD2.jpeg

A Toyota turbo diesel would be saweeet!!!

cheers
You should get 12 to 15 MPG with a LS motor. They are all reliable motors. I would not consider any other v8. In the states a professional install is about 30k dollars.

Anyone with an untrained eye says a 40 is a Jeep. A few weeks ago I overheard someone in a parking lot talking about my 60 and they said "Look at that Bronco!". But I get what you're saying.

Bronco! My Neigbor bought me this for Xmas. He’s a great guy so I didn’t throw it at him. I just had to smile and nod. Even my wife looked at me like “don’t throw it at him”. He followed it up with... “can’t wait to see the pic of them side by side.” It was hard not to throw it at him... he’s such a nice guy....

BED1F4E7-9832-4E9C-931F-DA53E9911EE3.jpeg

Check out this video and shoot the owner a message. They are running an LS1 with the stock 80 5 speed.

I get nice bronco and nice scout and nice Cherokee. People seem to miss the secret Toyota symbol well hidden in the front.

I have a 60 series with an ls-3 and automatic transmission. Rear is 3.70 on 33s. I have a 6 in Confer roof rack mounted and get around 10 mpg at around 75 mph on the road. Obviously this would improve at lower speeds and without the rack. Oh, and I’m heavy. Extended range tank, after market front and rear bumpers and a winch. Without the extras and At lower speeds I’m told you can get around 15 mpg with the ls-3.

I have an LS1 / 4L60E in my FJ62 and I average about 17.5 miles to the gallon. This is mostly driving on the highway to work. Stock gears, 33 inch tires, 2.5 inch OME lift, front and rear aftermarket bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom