• Trail Tailor

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Build your own

Votes: 23 16.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd take the mod'ed ARB... IF it was still in good condition (not sure what condition it is in... but I lean towards to plate type bumpers and want the high elevation bar work. Deer in the mountains here can be an issue.
It's still in decent condition and it's already sold. Like I said before, it has been a good bumper I'm just looking for something different now.

I really dig my shortbus from Slee. Unless you're going home or custom built. It sits really tight up against the front and looks great IMO.
I just gotta move that winch controller somewhere else.

View attachment 1632456

if you take the innards out of the winch controller box, there is enough space to mount them to the right of a 12K HF winch

Last edited:
Slee modified by sawzall

26073436_170216367083125_7327207528301854720_n.jpg

Build your own! This was my first attempt at a front bumper. All the plate was cut with a torch.

BA5A9409-E15C-41EB-A2CB-D719FA0C57A2.jpeg

5E0DE9C9-AAEA-45AD-982E-2516F970A561.jpeg

I'm likely to be no help (as usual), but here I go. I'm not a fan of the ARB, it's more of an old-school design. To me it just "doesn't look right" on an 80 Series. I have not been a fan of a lot of the tube bumper style things I've seen. I see that people have some nice designs that conform to the rounder features vs 60 Series and all. Which I like.

Mine came with this:
3DFAFF67-0A79-4D0E-A14D-60A91D4C241F.jpeg

My biggest complaint with all the “armor” made for 80s is the weight.

I vote the build something unique, light weight and your own.

I hate making a heavy pig heavier. My truck was rusty and the green color everyone seems to hate. I cut out more weight/rust than I added with the rear bumper I made. Next is the front.

I want a plate center to mount the winch with tube outers while keeping it tight to the body and up high. I also plan on removing the lower valance and chopping the grill up like a few here have done like @ExpoMax. Not that this helps the discussion on the front bumper but cut weight and clearance where you can. Here is what I did on the rear and sliders. And of course a pic of my massaged stock front bumper :)

Hoping to have front built by summer.

77E10C08-B44F-496A-AC26-62ECD17DF0DB.jpeg

E49E5086-2016-4EDD-8A6A-447CC23163C5.jpeg

676FC0FE-004E-499D-991E-F47F605E2FD9.jpeg

Last edited:
Totally agree in most cases. There are definitely some limitations to the DIY bumper unless the individual has access to the necessary tools like a press brake, a plasma table, tube benders etc. I'm still pretty limited in my tools. I still do all my cutting with a grinder/cutoff wheel, and I use the "whiskey bend" method for any plate bending (cutting through the plate for most of the bend so there is only a small portion that needs to bend, then weld up the seam).

I am nowhere close to the quality of a Shortbus bumper or a 4x4Labs bumper because of those limitations but I've enjoyed the DIY stuff. I built my own rear bumper (but outsourced most of the cutting and bending). But my son and I did all of the work on the bumper for his minitruck. We started with a TG winch mount which helped but the rest was us. Come out ok I think but again, not to the level of a professionally produced bumper. Still has a boxy look and sharp angles, which isn't always a bad look.
View attachment 1634661 View attachment 1634662
Oh look it's my 2nd favorite truck again. :)

Costa Fabs
really like the unique recovery points. and just a good looking Bumper. I've Put this thing through the paces And it just shrugs every thing off

98E4144E-AE2A-4282-8AE9-FE910D5039B2.jpeg

D420DBF4-7CF1-46DB-A08F-B0AB533E916A.jpeg

The bumper in the photo above is the one that sold me on the Costa. Those lines!! Sweet ride man!

I like mine...AOE.

img_0422-jpg.1608213

I actually really looked into getting one from AOE a couple years ago. Some nice things about it. But in the end, I didn't like that it covered up the indicators and the main bumper section is just too big for my taste.

I enjoy messing with my junk but I'd rather be out bashing it up. Will you using tubing or plate?

I enjoy messing with my junk but I'd rather be out bashing it up.
TMI. This is a family site. Wait...... No it's not. Continue messing with your junk and whatever weird kinky bashing you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom