• Trail Tailor

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Build your own

Votes: 23 16.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So much subtle ARB bashing in this thread. It's surprising. I can appreciate all of the different front bumper designs for various reasons. In my mind, the ARB has several good characteristics as well.
No disagreement there. I don't see it as ARB bashing. I made it clear that I'm replacing an ARB and am looking for something different so while there are comments pointing out where other options differ from the ARB I don't see that as bashing, but answering what my questions were from the original post.

Sure the ARB has its good points. I've been running an ARB bumper for almost 20 years. That should say at least a bit about how I view them.

No disagreement there. I don't see it as ARB bashing. I made it clear that I'm replacing an ARB and am looking for something different so while there are comments pointing out where other options differ from the ARB I don't see that as bashing, but answering what my questions were from the original post.

Sure the ARB has its good points. I've been running an ARB bumper for almost 20 years. That should say at least a bit about how I view them.

Your modified ARB looks better and performs better offroad than a stock one by a long shot. I love the look of the ARBs when they go on a diet.

I am ARB bashing! That’s the problem! I have been stopped at several ledges in Moab because the ARB hangs out too far and too low to get a tire on it. If I have the room to really angle towards it and get a tire on, the 80 has NO problem dragging itself up, but I have faced ledges where I can’t maneuver around the ARB and couldn’t get up.

I love this thread, I am leaning towards 4x4 Labs. @benc of Dissent off road makes some wonderful 100 bumpers, would love an 80 version.

It goes back to individual needs and priorities, I suppose. I don't want to divert the thread. There are a lot of great bumpers being mentioned here. Keep it up.

I am ARB bashing! That’s the problem! I have been stopped at several ledges in Moab because the ARB hangs out too far and too low to get a tire on it. If I have the room to really angle towards it and get a tire on, the 80 has NO problem dragging itself up, but I have faced ledges where I can’t maneuver around the ARB and couldn’t get up.

I love this thread, I am leaning towards 4x4 Labs. @benc of Dissent off road makes some wonderful 100 bumpers, would love an 80 version.
I'm with ya. ARB isn't the best for rockcrawling, but it is a great option for other reasons. FWIW, with the bits I cut off my ARB I never have been stopped by it in the rocks. ;)

Reminds me of the Cake song “Short skirt and long jacket”.

I want a bumper that’s rockcrawler below the beltline and “get me home after hitting a deer on the highway” above the beltline. Experience with both in my area.

I went with 4x4labs kits during the group buy really couldn't beat the cost for both front and rear bumpers vs buying a built front. Luke was great to deal with and I like the look and quality of his products.

full

Last edited:
@Box Rocket do you have a thread showing how you cut the ARB? I have a winch bar, would like to cut off the bottom half. Sorry to get ot with the thread

The only way to get exactly what you want is to build it yourself.

IMG_0449[1].jpg

will stop you on a ledge, will also stop a roo from demolishing the front of the car. i am very tempted to get a slee shortbus, however the arb on my last 80 saved that 4 or 5 times in the one ski season here.

are there any bull bar destruction threads on mud? i'd like to see some of these US bumpers V's various things.

Not the best picture of it but I have always liked @jfz80 ’s AOE bumper.

35D092B2-1A07-463A-8EA5-30E229CC3623.jpeg

The only way to get exactly what you want is to build it yourself.

View attachment 1634355

But then you end up with what looks like a piece of lumber.

No offense because I know how much work it involves. Most DIY guys don't have the tools to build a good looking bumper and avoid the boxy look with sharp angles. The shortbus and Labs bumper are popular because they are shaped and formed to compliment the truck and took a lot of effort to design.

Last edited:

No offense because I know how much work it involves. Most DIY guys don't have the tools to build a good looking bumper and avoid the boxy look with sharp angles. The shortbus and Labs bumper are popular because they are shaped and formed to compliment the truck and took a lot out effort to design.

Amen!

No thread for the bumper but there are lots of pics scattered through the thread link in my signature.
View attachment 1634410 View attachment 1634411

I'd take the mod'ed ARB... IF it was still in good condition (not sure what condition it is in... but I lean towards to plate type bumpers and want the high elevation bar work. Deer in the mountains here can be an issue.

No offense because I know how much work it involves. Most DIY guys don't have the tools to build a good looking bumper and avoid the boxy look with sharp angles. The shortbus and Labs bumper are popular because they are shaped and formed to compliment the truck and took a lot of effort to design.
Totally agree in most cases. There are definitely some limitations to the DIY bumper unless the individual has access to the necessary tools like a press brake, a plasma table, tube benders etc. I'm still pretty limited in my tools. I still do all my cutting with a grinder/cutoff wheel, and I use the "whiskey bend" method for any plate bending (cutting through the plate for most of the bend so there is only a small portion that needs to bend, then weld up the seam).

I am nowhere close to the quality of a Shortbus bumper or a 4x4Labs bumper because of those limitations but I've enjoyed the DIY stuff. I built my own rear bumper (but outsourced most of the cutting and bending). But my son and I did all of the work on the bumper for his minitruck. We started with a TG winch mount which helped but the rest was us. Come out ok I think but again, not to the level of a professionally produced bumper. Still has a boxy look and sharp angles, which isn't always a bad look.
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1471_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom