Builds HZJ75 Troopy - campin' roadtrippin' wheelin' build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How are the st maxx holding up? How many miles are on them. Truck looks great.

I'd have to look at my notes but I bet I've put more than 10k miles on them. I've rotated them twice since I have an alignment issue and I don't want to wear them unevenly.

But I am very happy with them. No visible wear, easy on the highway, and they eat up sand really well.

Hey you wouldn't happen to have a photo up under the rear bumper of how it mounts up to the frame?

Imagepipe_26.jpg

Imagepipe_25.jpg

Imagepipe_24.jpg

I hope these are helpful. This shows where the crossmember was cut and the mounting to the frame on the RH side.

Yes it was. On the far right side of the pics you can see the main part of the 4x4 Labs bumper, roughly in place of where the stock rear cross member used to be.

On a side note I have the stock bumper (did not save the hunk of cross member) in a box. Is this of use to anyone? I hate to scrap it. I would bring it to one of the central california swap meets.

I have so much to catch y'all up on. The Mulgo pop top. The new suspension. Transmission and driveline work.

But my focus at the moment is my upcoming HVAC refresh. I have a new condensor, compressor, dryer, pressure switch, expansion valve and evaporator. My blower motor recently quit, and surprisingly crosses over to an '80s 4Runner, so I got that ordered from Toyota.

While I'm in there, I'd like to pre-emptively replace the heater core.

But 87107-90k00 seems to be no longer available from Toyota. I'm also striking out on ebay.au/megazip/partsouq/amayama.

What do folks in Australia/Japan do for heater cores in their older 70 series?

I have so much to catch y'all up on. The Mulgo pop top. The new suspension. Transmission and driveline work.

But my focus at the moment is my upcoming HVAC refresh. I have a new condensor, compressor, dryer, pressure switch, expansion valve and evaporator. My blower motor recently quit, and surprisingly crosses over to an '80s 4Runner, so I got that ordered from Toyota.

While I'm in there, I'd like to pre-emptively replace the heater core.

But 87107-90k00 seems to be no longer available from Toyota. I'm also striking out on ebay.au/megazip/partsouq/amayama.

What do folks in Australia/Japan do for heater cores in their older 70 series?

Requires more investigation to ensure fit, but Terrain Tamer look like they have a heater core:

Just discovered this thread. Fantastic real world stuff - exactly what I'm aiming to accomplish with mine. Couple of questions: Have you found that the big Baja lights in front of the radiator cut into your cooling efficiency? And how do you like the 1HZ on long cross country highway stretches? I will not turbo mine - it's smooth as butter at 60-65 mph.

There needs to be a Troopy forum. We have issues. We have needs!

Just discovered this thread. Fantastic real world stuff - exactly what I'm aiming to accomplish with mine. Couple of questions: Have you found that the big Baja lights in front of the radiator cut into your cooling efficiency? And how do you like the 1HZ on long cross country highway stretches? I will not turbo mine - it's smooth as butter at 60-65 mph.

There needs to be a Troopy forum. We have issues. We have needs!
There’s a Facebook group troopy of NA or something like that 😉

Yep - he is
Requires more investigation to ensure fit, but Terrain Tamer look like they have a heater core:

That is for an hdj78. It is interesting that they don't list one for an hjz75. The dash is different but I wonder if the guts are the same. I will reach out and check. Thanks for the lead.

Yep - he is

That is for an hdj78. It is interesting that they don't list one for an hjz75. The dash is different but I wonder if the guts are the same. I will reach out and check. Thanks for the lead.
I would assume dash is the same for a HZ and HDj one.

Yep - he is

Dash is the same to 2007, but even after that the heater core is likely the same. Cross refrencing the PN 87107-60210 (TT shares the Toyota PN) it shows it working on Hzj78, Fzj78 and many others. But as you said, it's definitely worth getting some kind of confirmation that it will fit.

But they are ozzie dollars, so cheap as chips... well not really, but at least you have an option if Japan4x4 can't find you an OEM one

Since I am stuck in the lobby of a mechanics shop in Amarillo, TX (Subaru ate its clutch and shift fork, I should have taken the Troopy!) I have time to update this thread.

Thanks to some help from Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids and Dave @Japan4X4 I believe I have all the parts ordered to completely refresh the AC and put in a new heater core. As luck would have it my harmonic balancer came apart during all this and while replacing it I saw the AC pulley was coming apart, so I have one of those coming too.

And how do you like the 1HZ on long cross country highway stretches?
Great motor for the flats. Climbing up to the Eisenhower tunnel on 70 at 11k feet can be a real chore though.

Have you found that the big Baja lights in front of the radiator cut into your cooling efficiency?

No issues at all. The 1hz runs nice and cool. If yours doesn't, I would investigate. The only heat issues I had were caused by a bad fan clutch.

That said I thought the lights were overkill and their high power draw melted my Toyota OEM aux fuse box under the hood. I pulled them off and slapped on a pair of cheap colight off road lights. They are helpful in Baja but definitely not suitable for highway use.

My stock headlghts suck. So here is what I have done and what I am thinking. Note I am committed to halogens for the time being.

Already Done:
  • I built an ultimate relay/fuse box (thanks @slcfj62 for the diagrams!) to take care of voltage drop.
  • Replaced the headlight housings with new ones from Toyota. Very cheap! Highly recommended while they are still available. Even comes with a relay harness (which I did not use).

But they still suck. It turns out the Hella bulbs I have are some of the worst performing bulbs according to some guy on TacomaWorld, and mine are old.

Plans:
  • Ordered a couple Osram Super High Watt bulbs. I put the Osram Night breakers in my other car and the difference was huge. We'll see how these go.
  • Looking at street legal fogs and/or driving lights.

I am going to wait and see how my updated stock perform before making any more changes, but I sure like the idea of putting in some fogs for bad weather. Not many options in Halogen that I can find. Used/old stock IPF 840 fogs are out there and Hella still makes the 450 fogs. They are annoyingly rectangular (I like round things) but I will probably go this route.

I am hoping I will be satisfied with my upgraded headlights but if not I would add an aux driving beam. Right now that looks like a Hella Rallye 4000.

Whatever I do I want halogen reflector lamps (the superior lighting tech) with SAE or ECE cutoffs so I don't blind other drivers.

I really don't see the point of long throw offroad lights on this rig, other than for my amusement. I drive on trails at night but a 1hz Troopy is probably not going to outrun its lights offroad.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Last edited:
Lighting is half technical (lumens, throw, output, efficiency) and half subjective (looks, cost/reward).
I am also a huge fan of the "halogen look", but it cannot be disputed that LED's are more efficient in just about every way.
For fog lights, I installed Baja Designs fogs on the corners of my bulbar and they are great (currently brighter and more illuminating than the halogen headlights). Yes, they aren't round, but neither are most of the lines on our Troopies!!
For headlights, I am thinking of going Holley Retrobrights. Round Headlights - Holley - https://www.holley.com/brands/holley_retrobright/products/restoration/lamps_and_lighting/retrobright/round_headlights/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom