Hitch mount bike rack and slee bumper w/ swingout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pics with the rack folded up. There is one more hole in the Rakattach receiver that moves the entire thing closer to the truck by about 1”. With it moved closer, the tailgate brake light just barely touched the bolt on the swing arm. I didnt trust it to not crack the light with weight on the tailgate.
EC57F093-859E-4716-8974-996E13DF7250.jpeg
A5BA5F5E-0006-4A94-B1AD-B50E838AC366.jpeg
E32160BD-17A8-4A56-9AC0-A2E96F40BF8C.jpeg

Alright, I think I'm sold. I was sort of hoping to get crazy and mount a receiver on one of the Slee swingouts but this may be a safer route.

That what exactly what I was going to do but Slee wasn’t able to give me weight limits on the swing arm and spindle. Not worth the risk of watching Carbon get spread across the highway.

That what exactly what I was going to do but Slee wasn’t able to give me weight limits on the swing arm and spindle. Not worth the risk of watching Carbon get spread across the highway.
Yeah, sort of my thoughts too... I may try to fab up my own version of the rakattach after seeing the price tag... nearly 300 bucks for some welded together square tube, a toggle clamp, and a pin?

I had the saris freedom spare tire rack for a while on an older SUV. Worked great and it even has an ''offset'' mounting option for spare tires that are mounted to the side. This allowed the rear tailgate to open with bikes still attached. About 300 dollars. Not sure how much weight that swingarm can handle. I ended up selling it after I sold that Suv but wish I still had it.

I'm currently running a slightly different bike rack setup on my slee bumper for my bike. its a simple spare tire mount. gets the job done. I'll post up photos later.

saris-freedom-spare-tire-2-bike-194108-1.jpg

Yeah, sort of my thoughts too... I may try to fab up my own version of the rakattach after seeing the price tag... nearly 300 bucks for some welded together square tube, a toggle clamp, and a pin?

I’d say it’s up there with Slee quality. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Rated for 300#. I have no problem putting 3-4 bikes on my rack knowing they’ll be there when I get to my destination.

Ive pretty much given up on it. My father gave me a trailer small enough to get 3 bikes on that will set well behind the truck. In the event I take bikes that will probably be the route I go. If I’m alone I’ll take out the rear seats and put the bike there.

I use a Yakima spare ride 2 with top tube adapters. May not work with all bike types but has worked for beach cruisers.

IMG_6141.JPG

I use a Yakima spare ride 2 with top tube adapters. May not work with all bike types but has worked for beach cruisers.

View attachment 1710757

How did you attach the spareride to the slee? Mine doesn’t seem to line up with my wheel studs. I have a 100 series with Slee bumper.

This past weekend @lumbee1 built me a carrier for my 4x4 labs bumper. Can open the swing out with bikes still on it

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8201.jpg

IMG_8205.jpg

IMG_8207.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

Last edited:
This past weekend @lumbee1 built me a carrier for my 4x4 labs bumper. Can open the swing out with bikes still on it

View attachment 1768606

View attachment 1768607

View attachment 1768608

View attachment 1768609

View attachment 1768610

Might consider adding some gussets if you haven't already, the load from the bikes is going to put a pretty significant moment on those welds. I would keep an eye out for cracking at the welds and at the swing out hinge.

I have been mulling over ways to do this on my slee bumper but haven't come up with anything that is refined and strong enough... especially when a rack full of 4 full suspension carbon bikes is in the ballpark of $20k...

Share Somebodyelse5's concerns about moments....low amplitude (highway seams/washboard dirt roads) combined with high frequency (dictated by speed) will kill any structure subject to fatigue. Especially prevalent of the structure was designed w/o taking into account natural frequency/driving frequency (think Tacoma Narrows Bridge failure).

That being said, easy (partial) solutions: Run adjustable load straps from the 2 bike mount bar ends to the roof rack and tighten. This will "stiffen up" the "structure" significantly such that you will hopefully avoid any natural frequency issues.

NOTE: only way to ensure if structure/environment is subject to natural frequency coupling failure is 1) test (pitty those 4 composite $10K+ bikes if rack does indeed fail), 2) do a correct engineering analysis (need FEA), or 3) over engineer the hell out of it (that is, lots of iron beef with welds).

Go at it!

BTW: that rack looks designed for traditional top tube bikes. Any bike worth it's salt now has a non traditional top tube structure, thus needing an adapter (thule or such). Another potential failure point:bang:

I just mounted a RakAttach (sold by 1-up USA now) to my Slee bumper. I got the large driver side swing out and have a 1-up rack mounted to it. It's bad arse and I can finally take bikes AND easily access the back of my truck. Not the cheapest combo but considering the cargo it carries, well worth the price. I'll post up some pics later today.

Any examples of the RakAttach with Slee dual swing outs? Does it allow swing outs to fully open and lock in place with bikes mounted on rack? Thanks.

Sorry to bump this back up, but curious as to any other solutions out there?

I was debating the Yakima Dr Tray since the trays slide away from the vehicle as needed to adjust for the rear spare..

Any examples of the RakAttach with Slee dual swing outs? Does it allow swing outs to fully open and lock in place with bikes mounted on rack? Thanks.

I tried rack attach and at least on my Slee, it interferes with the hinge on the right swing out.

Maybe the driver swing mentioned above would work... need to look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom