High RPM when in Idle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought my Land Cruiser 81' today. My dad drove it 30 min home as I can't drive stick yet. Everything felt good. However, he noticed rhe RMP's sounded high when at stops or when starting up the car. Almost like the choke was on but it wasn't. Could it be something with the Carb? Anyone else have similar problems? Sorry if that doesn't make sense and TIA .
IMG_3394.jpeg

I'd look for vacuum leaks. There should be a idle adjustment screw. Maybe the throttle cable is sticking a little, weak throttle return spring. Yep, nice looking unit.

Congrats on the new ride! Adjusting the idle shouldn't be that big of a deal, should just be a screw. Go ahead and check all the linkages to see if they're loose and clean and lubricate them.
My 76 had a high idle whenever you used the choke. Whenever it warmed up I would pull up on the throttle pedal and it would go back to normal. Best of luck

Like others have stated adjusting the idle screw should do the trick.

I would also have someone in the cab pull the choke cable in/out while you make sure it works smoothly...not sticking, hanging up, and returning to the correct position when pushed all the way in.

Let us know the results, the truck looks great and we need more pics!

1. Try pulling up on the gas pedal.
2. With the hood open, watch which way the linkage moves when someone pushes on the gas pedal. Then carefully reach in and try to pull on the linkage in the opposite direction.

Occum’s razor (courtesy of @kulangot)

Make small adjustments and then see the effect if any. You don’t want to make it run worse 😀.

There are a few videos on line that show the process and what each screw on the carburetor does.

Good luck learning to drive a stick—you will be learning skill that is becoming less known to many drivers.

Congratulations on your new truck! There’s a lot of knowledge and support here, so you have come to the right place. Personally, I’ve had mine almost 44 years. As others have advised, make the necessary adjustments and see the results. I’m naturally skeptical, so I wonder if someone turned up the idle to mask another problem. You’ll know soon enough. Sounds like a proper tuneup and fluid check is next. You will definitely need a Toyota factory service manual, aka FSM!

Do you also have a hand throttle in the cab?
Between the steering wheel and the door - sometimes another cause of sticking.

Add some pictures of the linkage if you have problems adjusting

Maybe not the easiest clutch or gearbox to learn to drive with; good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom