HELP NEEDED- Horrible grinding/ rattle when accelerating! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all- new to the Landcruiser life.
Picked up a triple locked 80 Series yesterday (‘94) anticipating a project.

After driving for about 10 minutes, I noticed a whining sound when hitting around 25mph.
It took no time for this to turn into a horrible grinding/ rattling sound.
Sounds metal on metal. And can be felt through gas pedal.
It kept below about 25 the noise went away. But when pressing the accelerator it immediately came back.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Check your brake caliper mounting bolts, they can back out and make some horrible grinding noises as they grind into the wheel.

Jack up each wheel and check it for play.

Check the drive flanges.

Goodluck

Drain and refill oil in F/R differentials, transfer case, transmission to determine if any have metal flakes / stripper glitter.

After checking caliper bolts and that you have the front diff, rear diff, and transfer case filled, check for play in the drive shaft u-joints and differential pinions. Jump to 1:32ish in this video:

If you can't find slop in the drive shaft u-joints or pinions, then look carefully at the drive shafts to see if they're in phase (I believe a '94 should have the front shaft in phase, 90-degrees out of phase for '95+). Search for drive shaft phase on the forum for details.

You might want to mention whether there is a lift and what, if any, caster correction was done.

+1 - Orientation and phase was my issue after a tranny shop put the front ds in backwards and incorrectly phased. Sounded like 2 musketeers in a sword fight with metal bats.
Unfortunately, I've long since forgotten but @BILT4ME will have to chime in with the correct orientation and phase.
He got me straightened out in back in the day. 👍

After checking caliper bolts and that you have the front diff, rear diff, and transfer case filled, check for play in the drive shaft u-joints and differential pinions. Jump to 1:32ish in this video:

If you can't find slop in the drive shaft u-joints or pinions, then look carefully at the drive shafts to see if they're in phase (I believe a '94 should have the front shaft in phase, 90-degrees out of phase for '95+). Search for drive shaft phase on the forum for details.

You might want to mention whether there is a lift and what, if any, caster correction was done.

No lift.

brake dust shields?

Take a video of the noise, post it to YouTube, then post a link here.

Otherwise, all we're doing is guessing.
Many of us can pinpoint an issue based on the sound and how the noise progresses.

Hey y’all- new to the Landcruiser life.
Picked up a triple locked 80 Series yesterday (‘94) anticipating a project.

After driving for about 10 minutes, I noticed a whining sound when hitting around 25mph.
It took no time for this to turn into a horrible grinding/ rattling sound.
Sounds metal on metal. And can be felt through gas pedal.
It kept below about 25 the noise went away. But when pressing the accelerator it immediately came back.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

dude,

Just put the 80 on four jack stands, start her up, step on the brakes, shift to 1st gear and check things out. Good idea to have someone on the driver's seat just in case they need to slam on the brakes or something. It'll soon become obvious where the noise is coming from. Please don't go under the 80 while it's "driving". The noise may not be loud since the speed isn't fast in 1st gear but you might hear something.

Any time I get a grinding noise I first out the rig in Low Range then drag the brake in reverse to attempt to dislodge any rocks that potentially get stuck in them

Faile drive belt bearing

explain.... you mean engine main bearing? IDK how you could make a diagnosis like that from as little info as priovided

This whole thread is a guessing game at this point.

You could probably hear the rocks in the OP head.

We need to wait till proper diagnosis. We can only suggest what the OP needs to do to help narrow the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom