This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after hashing things out at the DMV I can finally move forward with my build. I have a 1987 FJ60 with a tired 2f engine that needs replacing. I have been slowly acquiring the parts I plan on stuffing underneath the hood and have the usual head scratching moments that come with a project of this magnitude :hmm:. I plan on changing the engine, transmission, and transfer case while maintaining the stock axles yet play around with differential gearing.

The plan is to power and propel the the beautiful Toyota styling with the heart and soul of America, sacrilegious maybe, but Im not a purist by any means and I want to make this a fun and reliable daily driver with enough power to get up from under its own weight with ease.

My Grown Man Wish List:

- 5.3? 5.7? 6.0 L Vortec Engine
- 1997 4x4 GM NV4500 (Already Purchased)
- GM NP205 Transfer Case

I am not concerned with compatibility of the components on the list more than the fitment of the entire drivetrain in the Cruiser itself.

Questions:
- Will any modifications to the transmission tunnel be necessary to fit the NV4500?
- I know the NP205 is a big t-case, will it fit underneath the body without a body lift?
- Will the NP205's front drive shaft align well with the front diff to keep vibration to a minimum?

Since this is my first big project that involves swaps the learning curve is quite steep, so any tips that go beyond my questions will be very helpful.

For Sale:
- 2f Engine and everything with it. 260,000 miles (Minus Trans & T-case)
- Toyota 4-Speed Transmission.
- Toyota Transfer Case

I am located in San Francisco, so locals get first bite. You may buy everything together as a group or individually. Direct Message me for further questions.

BUILD THREAD COMING SOON!

You will have to do some checking around at the different build threads but I believe the main modification that has to be done to the trans tunnel for the NV4500 is cutting the hole so the shifter can come through properly a little further back. Other than that I don't believe you have to do anything else as long as you center the tranny and engine in the hump.

As for the Vortec, please know that the 5.7L is vastly different than the 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2. The newer LS engines (4.8-6.2) are almost completely different where as the 5.7 is a somewhat first gen Vortec. That being said, many have done both versions and been very happy but ultimately the newer the engine the more efficient it is going to be (VERY basically).

Just do a search for V8 swap or LS Swap on here and start reading to get a better idea... One of the main things you WILL need to do is get a different oil pan to be able to clear the front diff, unless you plan on going SOA. Most guys either recommend the H3 Hummer oil pan or there are certain Camaro pans or Hot Rod pans you can get that will allow you to clear the pumpkin. Front driveshaft will need to be reworked and you may possibly need to massage the tranny pan to get a little extra clearance. Again all this stuff can be found in the various build threads.

Oh and one last thing to think of..... junkyard/salvage yard pull vs. turnkey purchase. This is where you really want to pay attention as one may make things slightly easier. This is simply because by going with a turnkey purchase many of the companies (BD Turnkey, Pacific Fabrications, etc.) will modify the harness to your liking (e.g. somewhat custom) with the purchase of the engine from them. So your money may be best spent splurging a bit there... (oh and Pacific Fab is in Salinas/Gilroy area I believe)

Get to know Georg (aka @orangefj45) from Valley Hybrid in Stockton as he will be a source for LOTS of stuff and just and all around good guy.

I have done this swap in @SharpasMarbles 87 fj60 the trans tunnel where the old shifter came through will need to be modified as the nv4500 comes through it further forward the 205 fits under the body its close but it fits but it is centered as far as the rear drive shaft so that will be an issue we put a currie enterprise centered rear end in so you might want to rethink the 205 and stay with the split case. We used the camaro pan witch I had to modify to clear the front shaft. The motor was put in centered not offset the h2 pan will probably work better. We used camaro factory manifolds they workes out great. I would recommend an in tank fuel pump instead of external he has been through a couple pumps. The front shaft clears the transmission just fine. Check out his build thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or @SharpasMarbles
Good luck!

@tmxmotorsports @SharpasMarbles Its crazy how this world works, Your build is actually whats inspiring mine. That video you have on youtube of your cruiser doing donuts is the most badass thing i have ever seen that I want to experience. :clap:. You wouldn't mind if from time to time I asked you guys some questions that may come up during this build, would you?

And as far as the 205 not lining up with the rear axle, I may go with a similar axle choice as you did. You wouldn't happen to still have those dimensions you sent out to currie would you? @SharpasMarbles @tmxmotorsports :D

Ha yeah @SharpasMarbles tore my yard up. All I can say it's fast 6000 rpm 5th gear to 3rd at 60mph is fun to drive burn outs no problem. Made me sick for months after driving it around for a while then getting in to my stock motor 62. The rear end is the same width as the factory 60 rear end the rear end didn't have the leaf perches welded on pinion angle was set here with weight in the back of the truck the brake lines were done here also the factory mounts were cut off the rear end and were used to hold the hard lines on. Lots of time to keep amost everything toyota except the obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom