Headliner and sunroof pulled to fix leaks if anyone wants pics! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sunroof dropped, and IMO is very light, I removed the glass first.
image.jpeg

Holes prepped for welding.
image.jpeg

All 16 holes prepped!
image.jpeg

Me practicing if I wanted to patch the holes or fill them.
image.jpeg

Decided to patch the 8 bigger holes and fill the smaller ones. This pic is from the underside.
image.jpeg

Looks great! I've seen where people use a big chunk of copper to back up the weld. The weld won't stick to the copper, and keeps the back side smooth. Not that you need something like that in this situation.
Yup. Have a copper spoon in the shop, and it was considered for the bigger holes, but decided in the end to just use patches.

How about a pic where the sunroof control switches / rear view mirror are mounted?
I want to mount a radio box /additional switches in that area. My Cruiser does not have the sunroof so no holes through the headliner to guide me.

Thanks

Great job. This has been on my to do list for forever.

image.jpeg
How about a pic where the sunroof control switches / rear view mirror are mounted?
I want to mount a radio box /additional switches in that area. My Cruiser does not have the sunroof so no holes through the headliner to guide me.

Thanks
Sure. It's is all removed currently. But here is a shot of just the headliner showing the sunroof and control cut outs.

May I get a picture of you sitting on the driver seat in the reclined position and looking up toward the front of the ceiling? Same from the passenger seat too please. I'm basically looking at the front of the ceiling that includes the sunroof hole and the interface of the windshield. There is a sound that happens when I go over washboards or rough asphalt and I think it's coming from the front of the ceiling area. I don't think the windshield is moving.

This is also a good time to apply sound proofing mat on your ceiling. Be sure to research the correct type that can withstand the heat and not get soft or release gaseous odor.

Thank you.

i hate sunroofs , why oh why are they so popular

Yeah me too, hate the moonroofs (rooves?) even worse. At least the sun roof has no glass. I'd rather have the head space and a cleaner ceiling.

May I get a picture of you sitting on the driver seat in the reclined position and looking up toward the front of the ceiling? Same from the passenger seat too please. I'm basically looking at the front of the ceiling that includes the sunroof hole and the interface of the windshield. There is a sound that happens when I go over washboards or rough asphalt and I think it's coming from the front of the ceiling area. I don't think the windshield is moving.

This is also a good time to apply sound proofing mat on your ceiling. Be sure to research the correct type that can withstand the heat and not get soft or release gaseous odor.

Thank you.
Sure. Sunroof is removed for now though

I've always wanted to install reflective sound deadening material in the sunroof sliding door (the side visible to the sky). Could make things more quiet/cooler.

The heater hose is a really great idea for protecting wires. Going to steal the idea if you don't mind.
And thanks for the pics. I will have to take my headliner off because there is so much to do for a good job.

very nice. I see that this is in a 97. I know the earlier head liners are different. Any ideas on how to remove the front corners of the headliner on a 94? My drain hose slipped of the drain.

very nice. I see that this is in a 97. I know the earlier head liners are different. Any ideas on how to remove the front corners of the headliner on a 94? My drain hose slipped of the drain.
No, but while this one is getting worked on, I am driving a 94 by buddy lent me, which is not his DD, I can take a look for ya.

While I'm in there...

Well that violates the 25% coverage rule but I think you'll be ok :hillbilly: I'm anxious to find out if you notice any discernible decrease in wind/road noise.

Well that violates the 25% coverage rule but I think you'll be ok :hillbilly: I'm anxious to find out if you notice any discernible decrease in wind/road noise.
Haha! Yup, sure does! This project was great for me, got to use up left over heater hose, and sound deadening crap from past projects! I'll let you know the difference if any.

Thanks for the detailed pictures - I have a sunroof that's not tilting back into fully closed position and may be tinkering with it this weekend. Seeing how the sunroof mounts may help me decide if it's worth removing the full headliner to remove the sunroof (in one weekend, as I have a trip coming up) or if I can adjust it from the outside to get it seated again. Appreciate the time you've taken,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom