Headliner and sunroof pulled to fix leaks if anyone wants pics! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
fixing leaks and welding roof rack holes so headliner and sunroof are pulled for now. Let me know if anyone has questions or needs pics!

I suspect my rusted through driver floor to originate from roof leakage, yes pics would be a great help to investigate. Thanks

Everyone here loves pics. [emoji1]

We love pics, why even ask the question? Bring us pictures!

Got a suggestion..... Instead of taking a bunch of pics. Maybe do one of those sphere/panoramic things? Most "smart phones" have this feature already built in, if not. A lot of apps that can accomplish this idea are free.

Just sit in the middle with good lighting and then you're all set.

Just a thought.

image.jpeg

Here is the cause. These are the rear sunroof drain hoses. They were still connected to the pan, but were kinked and rotten at the hole in the B pillar. I assume that Toyota tried to address this with the clear hard plastic you see wrapped around the hose as a sleeve of sort. So mine would not drain, overflowed the pan, and ran down the B pillar and soaked the headliner, seatbelt garnish and rear carpet.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here is the headliner, B and C pillar seatbelt garnish, front and back after they have been cleaned. The headliner is all one piece fiberglass, and the garnish are plastic. So I just soaked them with meyer's then let sit for 5 min, then hosed them off and they are now soooooooo much cleaner! Then let them all dry in the sun. Took 10 min to dry. Very pleased with how clean they got cause mine were gross, and no scrubbing!!

My plan is to leave the front drain and hoses alone as they were tested and are clear.
The rear hoses will be replaced. (FYI, each rear hose measures 5'5")
And a new clamp.
I also bought a new sunroof glass with new gasket fro CDan.
Together that should solve my leaking sunroof!!! Better, cause I'm allergic to mold!
As soon as I unpack the new sunroof glass I'll take pics of old and new to compare.

Very informative pictures @Surfdc . Thanks for taking them. Could you take a couple of the dome light wiring for future reference?

I see you have a dark truck. I had my sunroof "tinted" silver when I had the side windows done. It seems to help a bit in the summer sun. I find myself driving around with the inside slider open more now, rather than keeping it closed and dark. Now would be a good time to get it silvered if you are so inclined.

Very informative pictures @Surfdc . Thanks for taking them. Could you take a couple of the dome light wiring for future reference?
Sure. stay tuned...
I see you have a dark truck. I had my sunroof "tinted" silver when I had the side windows done. It seems to help a bit in the summer sun. I find myself driving around with the inside slider open more now, rather than keeping it closed and dark. Now would be a good time to get it silvered if you are so inclined.
Great idea, Ill do that with the new roof.
Did you clean the headliner, or just the garnish pieces?
Cleaned the headliner and the garnish.

Cleaned the headliner and the garnish.
Cool. Hosing down the headliner would make me really nervous, but it seems to be pretty common in these. Mine is filthy! Anything to look out for when removing the headliner, or difficult areas?

Great work. A daunting task mine could benefit from as well. Thanks for sharing.

What's the Myers product ?
Like the household hand and laundry soap?

I see the front drain hose running down the a pillar. Is there a seam/Union/straight coupler in that hose visible? I had read years ago to use caution when poking and clearing these out not to separate them. Just curious of its presence and location

And the rear drains went through the round or the rectangle hole? Think you could replace them by dropping one side of the liner at a time or no way?

Cool. Hosing down the headliner would make me really nervous, but it seems to be pretty common in these. Mine is filthy! Anything to look out for when removing the headliner, or difficult areas?
No.
Really easy. Just work.
Remove all dome lights.
Remove all overhead handles.
Remove seatbelt shoulder bolts from B C and D pillars.
Remove rear inner fender covers.
Remove A B C and D upper garnish.
Pull down door mouldings.
At this point, get a helper.
Step 6.
Remove sun visors and rear view mirror. Have helper hold front of headliner while you pop out the rear plugs and down it comes!

Washing it with hose was too easy. Another member commented that it is heavy when wet so don't move it or it will break. So I rested it up on its side the long way like in the above pic out side against our fence, and there it could be sprayed, the water ran off, and sun dried it!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Great work. A daunting task mine could benefit from as well. Thanks for sharing.

What's the Myers product ?
Like the household hand and laundry soap?

I see the front drain hose running down the a pillar. Is there a seam/Union/straight coupler in that hose visible? I had read years ago to use caution when poking and clearing these out not to separate them. Just curious of its presence and location

And the rear drains went through the round or the rectangle hole? Think you could replace them by dropping one side of the liner at a time or no way?
Front drain hose is connected to 1" nipple by a hose clamp. Then it's just one run of hose right down A pillar, past the foot rest, and right out the front quarter panel. No Union, seam or coupler.
The rear hose went through the rectangle hole down the C pillar, through the rear quarter, under the gas neck, behind the bottle jack and drains out the bottom.
IMO I would not mess with anything one one side at a time without dropping the whole headliner, because it's actually up there pretty secure, manipulating one side at a time would break it. That's actually why I decided to do all this sunroof and weld up roof rack holes at once, so I don't have to drop the headliner again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom