Headliner and sunroof pulled to fix leaks if anyone wants pics! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the detailed pictures - I have a sunroof that's not tilting back into fully closed position and may be tinkering with it this weekend. Seeing how the sunroof mounts may help me decide if it's worth removing the full headliner to remove the sunroof (in one weekend, as I have a trip coming up) or if I can adjust it from the outside to get it seated again. Appreciate the time you've taken,
It can be done in one weekend, but I would definitely start to look at the mechanism without dropping headliner. Check that little grey wheel that gets flattens first. I bet if it is flat, rotate it 180 degrees and your glass might return all the way up. If that's not it you can adjust the glass by removing/breaking the side garnish and checking glass alignment. The FSM details this.

Here are some shots of the old and new sunroof glass to show the gasket. It's honestly not that different. The old one was just more stiff and dry. What I did notice in installing the new one is that the shims were not level from the factory. I re did all of the shims, adding washers to 5 of the 6 and now the glass sits level and probably seals much better!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Having fun driving this '94 with a 1FZ, while I work on mine!
:)
image.jpeg

Reactions: RFB
Hmmm. I honestly don't know. It seems that you could swap 95-97 headliner into a 93-94....

All buttoned up and hose tested for leaks and its water tight!:beer:
I have to mention though that while I was in there I installed sound deadening material on the roof.

This has made THE biggest difference in quieting the rig!

I have no definitive sound decibel measurements, but in my ADD, OCD, anal-retentive brain, it was immediately noticeably quieter.
I have previously sound deadened the rear floor, wheel wells and rear fenders as well as all 4 doors. And while this made a difference it wasn't as noticeable as doing the roof.
Maybe now that it all is done they all add up to an overall quieter rig, but IMHO, anyone who is looking to install sound deadening material I highly recommend including the roof :clap:

Surfdc,
Great work, your post motivated me to do the same to my truck. I ripped out all my interior including carpet and installed frost king insulation on the floor of the truck and I just got started on the roof. Looking to get a nice quiet ride. I will ask for your advise on one section that I'm stuck in. This is probably going to be a simple answer but I will ask any ways. How do you remove the adjustable seatbelt garnish in the front seats? And second, is it worth dropping the sunroof assembly to add that small section of insulation where the glass slides back.
It seems the sunroof requires a bit of adjusting to get it back to level and leak free.
Great job, and thanks for the extra push to get me motivated and starting the project.

Surfdc,
Great work, your post motivated me to do the same to my truck. I ripped out all my interior including carpet and installed frost king insulation on the floor of the truck and I just got started on the roof. Looking to get a nice quiet ride. I will ask for your advise on one section that I'm stuck in. This is probably going to be a simple answer but I will ask any ways. How do you remove the adjustable seatbelt garnish in the front seats? And second, is it worth dropping the sunroof assembly to add that small section of insulation where the glass slides back.
It seems the sunroof requires a bit of adjusting to get it back to level and leak free.
Great job, and thanks for the extra push to get me motivated and starting the project.
Nice!
Yes, that piece of garnish is the hardest one!
Yes! Definitely remove the sunroof. It is so easy. 12 (10mm) bolts. No adjustments done. Literally just unbolt it. Take the glass off first. 6 (10mm) nuts. The glass you may have to adjust, but also easy.
With the sunroof assembly removed, definitely apply sound deadening to the roof behind the sunroof pan as it is the largest piece of roof!!!

Remove the B pillar garnish like this:
1. remove door trim.
2. remove lower trim (important because there is one clip behind it that will be your demise if this piece is not pulled away.
3. pinch adjuster, flip up cover, remove 14mm seatbelt bolt.
4. gently pry garnish out from both sides (purple stars indicate where there are clips)
5. pull lower clip strait out, then
6. finally lift garnish up out of slot at the top. See the pic of the garnish backing to locate lower clip and upper slot.
PS B garnish.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

Surfdc strikes again!!!

Great details on how to remove the garnish. Followed your instructions(thanks for the pics) and now my labor of love is complete. My LC is completely wrapped in insulation (frost King): the complete floor, doors,and roof. I even fixed the raddledly cross beams on the roof with silicone. LC is quiet and smooth. All that insulation even makes my scion radio install sound much better. Cost for materials 5 frost King rolls @ $18 each and 1.5 days of labor.

Thanks again Surfdc

Surfdc strikes again!!!

Great details on how to remove the garnish. Followed your instructions(thanks for the pics) and now my labor of love is complete. My LC is completely wrapped in insulation (frost King): the complete floor, doors,and roof. I even fixed the raddledly cross beams on the roof with silicone. LC is quiet and smooth. All that insulation even makes my scion radio install sound much better. Cost for materials 5 frost King rolls @ $18 each and 1.5 days of labor.

Thanks again Surfdc

Good job dude. Will the Frost King stuff on the roof be able to handle the temp w/o coming apart? I assume so.

Surfdc, when you initially took the drain pan down from inside the roof were any of the mounting bolts loose? The reason I'm asking is, I have an annoying buzzing vibration that comes from the sunroof just forward and above the front seat grab handle. Looking at your front drain pan drain hole/hose pic there are bolts that attach the drain pan to the roof via a bracket. Maybe that's the cause of the vibration. For some mechanical reason tilting the trailing edge of the sunroof up stops the vibration. Any input will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Can you replace the front and rear drain hose with the heater hose you mentioned??

I do this same work it's a pain in the ass to do because I have a very big and heavy roof that I must to take at out. New sun roof too and it continues filter water with hard raiN, the usually here. I just use then sika flex. No more roof problems. Off course no more posibility to open and close. For me sunroof is a crap design.

Can you replace the front and rear drain hose with the heater hose you mentioned??
The rear hoses yes, but the fronts are too tight. Perhaps a thinner OD fuel line.

I do this same work it's a pain in the ass to do because I have a very big and heavy roof that I must to take at out. New sun roof too and it continues filter water with hard raiN, the usually here. I just use then sika flex. No more roof problems. Off course no more posibility to open and close. For me sunroof is a crap design.
Yes, even the new sunroof will leak, I had to adjust mine forward and back until the gasket lines up evenly.

Surfdc, when you initially took the drain pan down from inside the roof were any of the mounting bolts loose? The reason I'm asking is, I have an annoying buzzing vibration that comes from the sunroof just forward and above the front seat grab handle. Looking at your front drain pan drain hole/hose pic there are bolts that attach the drain pan to the roof via a bracket. Maybe that's the cause of the vibration. For some mechanical reason tilting the trailing edge of the sunroof up stops the vibration. Any input will be appreciated.
No. All the 10 mm bolts and nuts that hold the pan to the roof were Super tight.
If your rattle goes away with the sunroof in the tilt position, it's not those, it's the glass that's loose, perhaps in its rails. Check the small grey guide wheels that get worn. These are probably worn flat on yours. Try rotating them 180*. I bet that will solve your rattle!

Surfdc, thanks for your reply. I'll check those wheels.

Nice!
Yes, that piece of garnish is the hardest one!
Yes! Definitely remove the sunroof. It is so easy. 12 (10mm) bolts. No adjustments done. Literally just unbolt it. Take the glass off first. 6 (10mm) nuts. The glass you may have to adjust, but also easy.
With the sunroof assembly removed, definitely apply sound deadening to the roof behind the sunroof pan as it is the largest piece of roof!!!

Remove the B pillar garnish like this:
1. remove door trim.
2. remove lower trim (important because there is one clip behind it that will be your demise if this piece is not pulled away.
3. pinch adjuster, flip up cover, remove 14mm seatbelt bolt.
4. gently pry garnish out from both sides (purple stars indicate where there are clips)
5. pull lower clip strait out, then
6. finally lift garnish up out of slot at the top. See the pic of the garnish backing to locate lower clip and upper slot.
View attachment 1205721 View attachment 1205722 View attachment 1205723
OUTSTANDING job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom