HDJ81 - HP Diesel Series 2 Intercooler Install & Review (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Malahki , where did you order the kit from? I see there is an ebay retailer on the Canadian ebay, but they want $390 for shipping. Cheaper direct from manufacturer? I sent them a message but have gotten no reply.

Any of you guys have trouble with the hex head bolt? Is the adapter threaded or smoothe on yours? My bolt is way too short to bolt onto the enginr
I actually did use the original bolt and realised after install I had the hex bolt left over. Perhaps I was wrong in assuming it was meant for the adapter?
@Malahki , where did you order the kit from? I see there is an ebay retailer on the Canadian ebay, but they want $390 for shipping. Cheaper direct from manufacturer? I sent them a message but have gotten no reply.
Order direct from manufacture. The shipping is cheaper. The only down side is they wont take orders over the phone and took a few days for them to reply to each email. It took over a week to place and process the order but once completed shipping was super quick.

I initially tried ordering through a vendor on ebay but after making payment and sending several messages, I had not recieved a reply in over a week. After filing a dispute I was contacted by the seller and givin a fake tracking number... I eventualy got my money back but it took a while.

Last edited:
Got it all installed. Here is the 'clearance' from the winch control box. You can see I had to notch out the bracket to clear.

IMG_1506.jpg

And tapping the body - not nearly as elegant as the provided sleeves, but it works.

IMG_1499.jpg

And here is some better detail of the upper brackets. You lose the center mounting point for the grill that was on the original crossmember, but it still feels solid.

IMG_1508.jpg

Got it all together just in time for a camping trip. Climbed from 5,280 to almost 12,000 feet. Fueling is up a bit and wastegate is set to 14psi. Was able to keep 110 kph on steep highway grades while only tickling 1200 fahrenheit (max temp for me) once. Happy to not have my eyes the EGTs as much.

IMG_1527.jpg

Only downside was hacking at the passenger battery box. I had to remove quite a bit more than the OP and add shims below the battery to get it away from the charge pipe. I will probably be looking at making a custom battery box for a smaller battery in the future. Overall I'm happy with the kit, but had I known about all the modifications I had to make to clear the winch I might have looked at some other options.

@dan1554

Thanks for the information you posted. So, when you mention climbing steep hills, were you referring to climbing I70 from the east at roughly 70 mph (110kph) the entire way? That's pretty good! What boost are you running? Is your exhaust still stock, or do you have a high flow 3" on there? I'm starting to think about trying to fit an Evo 9 intercooler on mine as it's pretty similar in dimensions but I have an auto trans cooler to worry about. I just want to see what the improvements are before committing to a project like that. Thanks, in advance, for the info.

Just a bit of an update. Along with the HP Diesel intercoolet I am now running 4.56 gears, Wholesale Automatics Extreme valve body and have really dialed in my tunning with 20psi of boost.
I had absolutely no problem pulling this little Boler trailer on a 2500km road trip through Montana, idaho, Washigton and BC. I literally only had to back off the throttle twice on mountain passes due to EGT's
20180716_114619.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom