Builds H55/Splitcase into 02/79-40 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More....
pbd03.jpg
pbd05.jpg
pbd04.jpg

More.....

That dark 'thing' is the fuel tank.....Close. :)
tcas01.jpg
tcase02.jpg
tcase05.jpg

Drive shaft just pinned...It will need to be shortened just bit....no biggie.
ds01.jpg
ds02.jpg

Goofer puck is back on....WCHA Final Five.... OT. :rolleyes:

Back in a bit.

:beer:

They just beat the ND Sioux in OT!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

This truck is not going to see hard core off road trails, so the fact that the trans and tcase are sitting an inch and a half lower than they would be is of no real consequence.

Lowering the trans/tcase sneekee but I like it, how was this done

I have a very small clearence dent in the cross memeber but we do play hard:D

Mine

100_1706.jpg

I actually tapped the fuel tank seam gently:D to give a little xtra clearence it's real tight.

I had issues with the low range shifter interfering with the hand brake but looking at your pics been left hand drive it's not an issue. I had to bend the gear leaver over to the right of the hand break and shorten it other wise it also interfered with my leg. Before the hand brake was in the way between high 4 and low 4
100_1705.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All:

Cool pics! Thanks Steve and Matt!

Steve, I assume these are "mock-up" photos of the PB drum since then PB backing plate is apparently missing? :D

Regards,

Alan

The s***tiest part of doing it is getting covered in the little metal fines that end up being metal slivers in your skin. A good tweezers, just like a quality church key, arm a must in the toolbox. ;)

I feel your pain. I cursed that bit for weeks before doing the same thing again and again. It's a love, hate relationship.

Nice writeup.

Great thread Poser. It's bookmarked for my current project. Did you give any thought of using the MAF "disc" parking brake to help with clearance? I haven't seen anyone mention that before so it must not be a great option. Keep the great info coming.

I really didn’t.

I have not heard anything good about any of the disc brake parking brake conversion kits that have been out there for a while now. This will work great. The stock speedometer cable reaches, as does the stock parking brake cable.

I'm a little late to the thread, but I just noticed your pilot bearing removal tool, and though I'd share a little trick I learned when I had to remove mine. Maybe it's common knowledge, but I had no idea how I'd get that little f&#(@* out the crank when I was rebuilding my F. Fortunately a mechanic gave me this little tidbit, so I thought I'd share.

If you pack the pilot bearing with grease, then insert the clutch alignment tool and hit it with a mallet, it'll pop the bearing out with almost no effort at all. Obviously if your going to be replacing it anyway, damaging it isn't much of a concern, but handy in a pinch if nothing else.

Great thread though! planning on putting a H55 in my rig soon...

-brandon

WOW, excellent work! :)

and here(for reference) is a pic of the "almost" non-existent 40 series 5 speed top plate :D

64885106.jpg

64885112.jpg

had this for a few years, someday I might do the H55 in my green 82.......or maybe not.........did have someone offer me the large arount of $100 for it.......:eek:

I am just going to modify the floor. I think that is far more realistic and would be applicable to others wanting to see how this is done, since the top plate for this transmission to suit a 40 series is pretty much non-existent. I have been searching for one for over a year now, and they are not that easy to come by.

Marv found it for me, just asked him to look, he went to AUS.....came home with it, called me .

LP where did you find that at???

Marv found it for me, just asked him to look, he went to AUS.....came home with it, called me .

They are like rocking horse sh** though even here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom