GX470 - OME lift, wheels and tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi y’all,

I used this site a lot when I was deciding what to do and how to do it to my GX470 so I figured I’d share my experience with everyone to make it easier for the next person. Thanks for all the folks that posted before! It helped a ton.

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG

Parts list

· 2008 GX470
· 2.5” OME Lift Kit (OMEGX470S - Assembled OME GX470 Kit - Medium springs) with preassembled front struts from Rocky Road Outfitters. These guys are great – they answer questions quickly, they're friendly, all around 5 star experience. Next time I do something similar I will 100% use these guys.
· Bump stops (48302-35040 - Toyota Rear Upper Bumpstop) – also from RRO.
· Differential Drop Kit (300705-1-KIT - Toyota Diff Drop Kit) – Haven’t installed yet, but will at some point. Not required for 2.5” of lift but I’m sure my CV’s would like it.
· LT305/60R18 FUN COUNTRY - these are actually riding very nice and aren’t loud at all. Happily surprised.
· Method Roost wheels 18X9 6X5.5 4.5 backspacing -12 offset – love these. Would have went with 17” wheels, but couldn’t find anything I liked with enough offset to stay off the control arms, brakes, other gear. I think any less offset (without spacers) and you’d be in trouble. Got these from 4 wheel parts – Will not be using them again. They’re slow (2.5 hours to pick up wheels and tires and that’s with an appointment). Also pretty rude. Lesson learned.

Installation – I’m no mechanic

If you have a friend with a post lift and air tools, buy him a beer – or a case of beer – or a new bass boat. It will be worth it. This would have been a lot tougher without good tools and my father-in-law’s help.

Most of the videos online for air bag delete and suspension installations are of Toyotas. This was scary initially but it’s really straightforward. They’re pretty similar – the just has some additional electronics (trash). A lot of the videos mention hydraulic lines. I didn’t have any. Not sure about the details here. Maybe mine had aftermarket shocks on it.

Some special items

1. Penetrating oil. Use it early, like a week early, and use it often.
2. Get spring compressors – word on the street is they aren’t required. I couldn’t maneuver the axle out of the way far enough without them and I’m a big fella 6’5” 240.
3. More rear spring stuff - The lag bolt that attaches the lower spring support to the axle should be 2.5” – the kit had a 3” bolt, which hits the axle. Long story is that dog won’t hunt. No big deal but it would have sucked had tractor supply not been open.
4. There are electronics on top of the front struts. They are a huge pain to get off. Mine didn’t have teeth in the allen heads. Get your vice grips ready. These parts went in the trash after I got them off. I expected my dashboard to light up like a Christmas tree but it didn’t.
5. The back nut (there are three) on top of the front struts is damn near impossible to get to. Remember the penetrating oil? Use it early and often. I had to get at this with a hammer and a wrench. Might could have got it from the top.
6. Save those front strut nuts – new ones aren’t included.
Trimming was required on the fender well, front bumper, and running boards. My father-in-law and I did it with a dremel in about 30 minutes. I’m biased but I think it looks pretty darn good. My wife didn’t mention it – must look okay, right?

Note: The whole thing took us about 12 hours.

How it works

It rides and drives noticeably better than stock. This is coming from my wife, who thinks I’m a bit of a dumb redneck (true) for wanting to lift a Lexus. I personally love it and can’t think of anything I’d do differently.

Roll Tide

It's facing down. Maybe it was a shorter cup or something. Not sure. The 2.5" bolt fixed her up though.

That looks really tall to me. Are there any drivability issues with the OME lift and no Diff drop?

I have more lift than that with no diff drop, and no issues.

Haha. Awesome write-up. Truck looks awesome!

Any rubbing issues you've noticed? I want to run that wide of a tire but didnt want to put any spacers on. The negative offset seems to be the ticket.

It looks awesome btw. Great job.

Hey great write up.

I just got my 2.5 inch lift kit from metal tech. Also not a mechanic but do have a father in-law with nothing to do all day and a garage full of tools. Any chance you have any links to the videos that where helpful to you?

Do you know the actual numbers from the springs used? I'm guessing the 887 front and 896 rear from what I've found online.

Also, has it settled any more since install?

How do you think the lift kit will support a front and rear metal bumper? I’m considering the same lift kit but don’t believe the shocks are adjustable to compensate for the additional weight.

This post is older but still relevant, and I just finished the ome heavy kit from Rocky Road Outfitters.

Some notes to be aware:
  1. Lag bolt from rocky road is still 3" I was able to back mine off with washers, but if you can find the right bolt do that.
  2. The air controls on the front are probably not moving with an allen wrench (I stripped the first two before I just forced them out with vice grips). For the back I used a wrench to twist the bracket a full 180 to get to the rear bolt.
  3. If you are planning to include anything (bumpers, extra weight, ect.) several forums have suggested going with heavy. So far, the ride is far better than the rollercoaster of a failing air suspension!
  4. My kit instructions were incomplete, if you have any questions feel free to send them my way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom