gbentink Turbo Upgrade Users Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No worries above is a pic from the Gturbo tuning guide that Gturbo provides as a example of what a modified pin should look like when done correctly. I have mine looking as close as possible that i could get it.
Have my car booked in on there rollers in mid April for a full dyno tune and will provide an extra pin i purchased for them modifiy if they are not happy with how mine turned out.
I'm looking forward to the results an will post what my car puts down with the auto box, 35" muddies, AWD, safari snorkel an stock air box.

that's how mine is, but the nut has been ground to raise the pin with the standard boost comp cap. Now that I have the boost comp spacer its a bit too high (overall fuel pin length too short) so even with the off boost cam adjuster set on max the pin is over the top of the ramp by a few mm

Yeah right i was lucky enough that the previous owner of my car had already played with the pump a bit an installed what i'm pretty sure is a Zexal type boost comp as found on the patrols? this style has lock nut with a threaded rod through the middle which allows a lot more adjustment.
Boost comp.png

I've had a Grunter Extreme on the shelf for a couple years (literally), just got around to installing it (with a bunch of other stuff at the same time) and have some driving done. Here's a link to the thread: The official 1HDT Intercooler thread

Super happy so far, it just wants to pull out of the gate and keeps on going. As I said in the write up, doing the IC at the same time creates the two changes at once thing...so my experience is impacted by both changes. However, like I said...So far its...wow! Not whiplash wow...more like grunter wow.

Also, it has been a couple years since purchase, but I had a question during install and sent Graeme an email. Within a couple days had a response and kept on going.

hth's
gb

Last edited:
Graeme's putting down some impressive numbers out of a 1hd fte.

Gturbo Diesel Performance

For those that don't use facebook

510kW/684whp 1550Nm at wheels 1HD-FTE!!!!!!! Congrats Jim for the effort and inspiration and Mark at HP Diesels for building a sweet engine (HP Diesels 1HD-FTE 4.5 stroker). All on 37 degree day.

We believe a record for a Landcruiser Diesel engine in Australia? Not sure, but we just punched out 2 runs at 510kW/684hp over 1550Nm at wheels in 4WD on 35” rubber.

Vehicle Mods list;

- 35” KM2 tyres
- 3.7:1 diffs
- 1600Nm clutch
- 3.5” full length exhaust, 4” dump
- PDI FMIC kit
- Modded intake manifold (by Jim)
- Custom airbox (by Jim, 4” in/out)
- GTurbo performance injectors
- DTE module with custom wiring/modded sensors.
- Water/Methanol to cool things down
- NOS to get us up from the 500+ hp mark
- GTurbo direct bolt on “Blue Wheel” turbocharger running 47-50psi max with 40psi on road with load from under 2000rpm.

We have been building Toyota (now of course we do Nissan and many others) performance turbos now for soon to be 10 years. That we can push a direct fit turbo that has great daily driver manners this far is really beyond our intention when we designed the product.

For this job we weren’t trying to fit some huge turbo to get the biggest result (not that its a bad idea to do that for fun), for GTurbo it’s all about designing and building a direct bolt on turbo that our customers can use in their daily driver with awesome safe performance and response - and if you want to get crazy and beat up on it you can.

We ran out of fuel on dyno so stopped for today. Will come back in a few weeks to see if we can crack 750hp..... we think it’s realistic.

Run was done conservatively - we could easily bring in torque 400rpm earlier and 15% greater. Clutch is having some issues though (1600Nm NPC).

Engine sounds awesome on dyno

Next stop the mighty Toyota 4.5 V8. Easy to get similar results with direct bolt on turbo.

Ignore the boost graph - sensor had error

Regarding dyno;

All wheel drive, no weather correction factor (37 degree day)
FB_IMG_1515943631774.jpg
FB_IMG_1515943641155.jpg

Holy crap!

Well done those guys.

Wish Perth was not so far away. Keen to give my 1HD FTE some further tweaks. No interest in the methanol and NOS as not required for the drag track but have printed and pinned to the wall the modification specifications with a pencilled up target of 500HP and 1000NM torque. Now to find a shop who can put it together.

Wish Perth was not so far away. Keen to give my 1HD FTE some further tweaks. No interest in the methanol and NOS as not required for the drag track but have printed and pinned to the wall the modification specifications with a pencilled up target of 500HP and 1000NM torque. Now to find a shop who can put it together.
@Dougal may be able to steer you in the right direction

Just to clarify, that's 37°c. 99°F!

The same car did 484rwhp without the water/meth and NOS. Super impressive especially considering it's single turbo!

Link to that dyno session, including dyno vid.

Gturbo Diesel Performance

It's worth scrolling through the Gturbo page as they do a lot more than just Landcruisers. They have a few 1KD powered Hiluxes making around 500hp and running into the 11s.

Last edited:
So I'm jumping in here now. I've been all through the thread.
My truck is 60 with 12HT/H55 3" mandrel exhaust/flowmaster then out the rear bumper. 4.11's with LS, Toyo MT 285/75R17's
I'm installing a FMIC with 2 1/2" piping, it's all bracketed and ready to go. Its not full size like some of these ones
I'm seeing, it's 18"x9"x2 1/2". Rated from Performance World for up to 400 HP.
I've bookmarked a lot of the pertinent info but I need a few answers. ForealBoreal suggests pre turbo EGT, so my
question is on a 12HT can someone post up a picture and description of an installation of a preturbo EGT so I can see
how they did it? Is this with welded on bung and probe or is it drilled and tapped into the exhaust manifold?
What location on the manifold is the best?
Read lots of info on catch cans, and have to admit that I really want to install one, was wondering does it HAVE to
breath back into the intake or can it just be vented to atmosphere post catch can? I don't mind checking and maintaining
the thing. But would really not want to have that crappy air back into the system if I can avoid it.
BTW, I've already ordered my Grunter and am impatiently awaiting email answers, as its been a few weeks now and
no word. I've got new dual boost EGT gauge being made at Westach now too. Will be a few weeks before it's all together now.

So I'm jumping in here now. I've been all through the thread.
My truck is 60 with 12HT/H55 3" mandrel exhaust/flowmaster then out the rear bumper. 4.11's with LS, Toyo MT 285/75R17's
I'm installing a FMIC with 2 1/2" piping, it's all bracketed and ready to go. Its not full size like some of these ones
I'm seeing, it's 18"x9"x2 1/2". Rated from Performance World for up to 400 HP.
I've bookmarked a lot of the pertinent info but I need a few answers. ForealBoreal suggests pre turbo EGT, so my
question is on a 12HT can someone post up a picture and description of an installation of a preturbo EGT so I can see
how they did it? Is this with welded on bung and probe or is it drilled and tapped into the exhaust manifold?
What location on the manifold is the best?
Read lots of info on catch cans, and have to admit that I really want to install one, was wondering does it HAVE to
breath back into the intake or can it just be vented to atmosphere post catch can? I don't mind checking and maintaining
the thing. But would really not want to have that crappy air back into the system if I can avoid it.
BTW, I've already ordered my Grunter and am impatiently awaiting email answers, as its been a few weeks now and
no word. I've got new dual boost EGT gauge being made at Westach now too. Will be a few weeks before it's all together now.

@cruiserpilot - I have a hj61 with the 12ht and 5 speed. I have a EBay catch can that vents inside the front guard (not legal, but the engine gets only clean air...). Ensure the catch can has the same size inlet (and outlet) as the outlet on the rocker cover - you don’t want to pressurise the engine..
I have 591000kms on my engine, so am currently getting quotes for a rebuild - including the GTurbo Grunter (green wheel I believe).
I have a Redarc combination EGT / coolant temp / boost gauge that I would recommend. My EGT probe is post turbo, and responds immediately to a hill / throttle input etc, so I see no benefit to a pre-turbo as is is all relative to what the egt’s are under normal running conditions... My coolant temp is in the top radiator hose, and this is what I drive to in hot conditions when towing. When the coolant temp gets to 92degrees Celsius, I back off. I try to keep it under 90....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom