fun with 40 parts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle said:
do you have any part #'s for those lenses i would like to try the dealer here in canada i am in the process right now of starting the same project , but have not got the bib lights yet because i wanted the clear lenses . great job bib looks awsome,CDan has no pm .right now ???
lenses aren't available oem anymore...specter has them for a small $, but mike's repro's were done by a mudder when they repro'd the 45lv taillights.

quick question .was wondering how hard it was to solder in the extra wire . would like to do this to my lights .just finished blasting and painting my bib today . only have stick welder so i used nutserts to hold the headlight buckets in .did you just slip the wire into position and solder .where did you apply the heat from underside of the light or did ya just stick the solder gun in where the light bulb goes ?? any info would be great .
amazing how there is no rust on this old stuff 1967 bib .so i was told . just blasted and painted done

IMG_0920 (Small).JPG
IMG_0911 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
looks great!

The hole is open if you look the base of the lamp. Stick the wire in and solder it from either side. Make sure the stripped wire isn't too long or it will poke through too far. I used a little flux, heated it from the front, and applied the solder to the front. It will pool up and look just like the factory one. The wet stuff in the picture is the flux that melted. It wipes off so don't worry about that. The light bulb base makes contact with the solder you will be adding.
before.jpg
after.jpg

Glad I read this thread, working a pailess in the ass wiring harness on a 1965 cruiser. Blinkers removed and the clear running lights appeared to have to contacts in them, made me wonder why?

Now I understand.

Thankks
Rob

did not mess with the lights yet .but needed to get the bib on to take it on the trails today just wanted to post a pic of the finished install . i love these bib lights .thanks TreerootCO for starting this thread .i have had the bib laying around for about a year or so.your pics motivated me to get it done .:cheers:

IMG_0928 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
great thread, looks great! I would like to do the same but am thinking it would be WAY easier on my 73 fj to just cut some holes and install some round lights. Does anyone have pics of what this would look like? I do like the earlier style bib with the recessed holes though. Anyone with a later style bib with these lights installed please post up some pics.

thanks,

Noah

soldered and wired up the lights today . thanks for the info ,it was a piece of cake, no more than a few minutes a side to get the extra wire in
.:grinpimp:
even slipped the wire in the oem plastic protective covering ..was a bit tricky shoving it through tho.

thats very cool thought iwas the only one who liked to do stuff the hard way

lenses aren't available oem anymore...specter has them for a small $, but mike's repro's were done by a mudder when they repro'd the 45lv taillights.

Could you provide the name of this person?? I'd love to get some lenses for a non-astronomic SOR price...Thanks!

Cheers!

i would, but i don't know if he was reproing them for general public.

Let me add a "me too". I have one clear, and one amber.....looks ridiculous. A sweet 45 deserves clears. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom