Full float axle infrequently asked questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FF axles are a neat non-USA novelty item, but not worth the trouble people go through for them.

Trouble... my semi float axles were shot due to pitting on the bearing surface so I bought a complete 45 FF axle for $50. :D The seller called me before I could come back with a truck and tools to pick it up and offered to sell me the 45 for $100 :eek: I didn't waste any time... and had it towed home before he could change his mind. All in all it cost me $150 for the 45 less the trans and T-Case. I sold off at least 3 times as many $ worth of parts. Oh to be the early '90s again.

Biggest up side is there's are races for the bearings and they don't rely on the axle surface.

For anyone wondering why it was being parted out... the part of the frame that hadn't been replaced with channel evaporated. The tub was rotted out, hardtop rough, 2F needed a rebuild, fenders shot, and box was confetti. I sold everything salvageable and the rest was recycled... that didn't crumble when touched. However, I've seen worse repaired now.

It may not be as Toyota designed, but it works well running the hubs on diff oil like most other full float axles out there including semi trucks. One thing i found is to set the wheel bearing up not too tight they get hot but tighter than looser. That way the hub seal isent flopping around wearing out. Most people have a hub running oil and don't even know due to lack of maintenance. When the seal wears out eventually and you get a very slow leak (Your running a hub dust seal right?) it dosent get into the brake it dribbles out the back of the backing plate onto your tire. 80 series would be different. Changing a hub seal is very easy and cheep. I carry a spare front free wheel hub if i ever broke a axle I could remove it. put the free wheel hub on my rear hub and keep on going.

Here are some threads where other people mention they are also just running oil.

full float rear axle seal question

Rear axle seal question....

Last edited:
Building your own full float.

there’s a lot of different options out there for building your own. I’m using these axle flanges.
B1DE45D7-B7CE-4E4F-969C-224128400B82.jpeg

Axle Flanges, Rear, Toyota, Full Float
They made to fit Toyota spindles and callipers. The problem with that is it leaves you with a parking break dilemma. other company’s make flanges to fit gm calipers so you get a parking brake. I wanted to stick with Toyota so I’m going to have to use a drive shaft brake. This is the one I have.
439191D7-9643-484E-ACD6-FDEC730C7B56.jpeg

it works well the issues with them is if your not locked and have a wheel in the air it doesn’t work. Also if it gets bent you can’t drive although it dosent hang below the bottom of the tcase and there’s a skid plate.

Normally to align the flanges you would use a bar and pucks.
E49F6BA7-E839-4D35-9D77-034D0C1D1A88.jpeg

I don’t have these or feel like paying a thousand bucks for them. These flanges have to be aligned perfectly this sounds like it would work. (“You just have to build the outers with the axles, hubs, bearings and the plate (no seal), install the diff with a few nuts, and slide the whole assembly into place before you weld it. It was easy and I don't see how it's possible to make it anything other than perfect. The axle and diff acts as the alignment bar you're talking about.” Fast Eddy.) Perhaps not as good as alignment bar but sounds like it would work.

I got my new hubs from here very happy with them.
Rear Axle Full Float Hub 76-90 [FTL-621/42411-60011] - $170.63 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
A4C61737-FA5C-4A0A-914C-7C26BC9C64BB.jpeg

Axle seals need a insert I haven’t tried these out but they mount in the spindle in place of the bronze bushing. Full Float Seal Holder
E81A46EB-0AAA-4CEF-8AF6-952F398558A8.jpeg

Some usefull links.

Can a semi floater be converted to a FF axle?

Toyota Rear Full Floating Axle

FJ40 Full Floater Axle Build (IH8C-CLIPS)

Ruffstuff full float conversion

Toyota Rear Full Floating Axle Flanges!

Last edited:
Full float disc brakes kits.

Pre 8/80 full float axle (same 8 bolt pattern as a front Spindle)
64C23DAF-8EE4-4A24-AA32-71694E732CF0.jpeg

FJ40 FJ45 Full Float Rear Axle Disc Conversion Kit [fj40fulldisckit] - $600.00 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
E41ACDDD-E81B-48AE-9628-2A3FDCB3103F.jpeg

Front Disc Brake Kit Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ45 FJ55 - JTOutfitters
22390077-F957-4F75-9A18-30125CBF1E54.jpeg

Post 8/80 full float axle (four bolt pattern)
34FB0908-E303-4E10-82B6-2F5C4D611E70.jpeg

This one says it will fit late 40 and 60 series with the 4bolt.
http://redlinelandcruisers.com/product/toyota-land-cruiser-1960-1980-full-float-fj-40-45-55-60-rear-disc-brake-kit/DACE869A-8595-4963-BB62-EBBDFE0C87C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Building a full float rear axle. there’s are a couple different options out there these Axle Flanges, Rear, Toyota, Full Float are for Toyota calipers but other company’s make some for gm calipers so you get a parking brake. I used this method to align them. (“You just have to build the outers with the axles, hubs, bearings and the plate (no seal), install the diff with a few nuts, and slide the whole assembly into place before you weld it. It was easy and I don't see how it's possible to make it anything other than perfect. The axle and diff acts as the alignment bar you're talking about.” Fast Eddy.) Perhaps not as good as alignment bar but seems to work.
View attachment 1601041
I have a disc drive shaft brake for my parking brake. Works dam good unless you bend it on a rock, but It dosent hang below my skid plate so I haven’t yet...
View attachment 1601052
New rear hubs are available from cruiserparts Joint Fuji : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
View attachment 1601043
Axle seals need a insert I haven’t tried these out but they mount in the spindle in place of the bronze bushing. Full Float Seal Holder
View attachment 1601044
I got my full float axle shafts from here Toyota Land Cruiser Chromoly 30 Spline Axle Shafts, 40, 55, 70 Series Full Float, Pair (AX TFF-FJ40) they are made by nitro gear and custom lengths are available. And are cut with longer splines for fit stock Toyota lockers.
View attachment 1601042
It you need hub studs and cone washers these guys have several options much stronger than stock. Trail-Gear Super Metal Hub Stud Kit, for 2 Hubs (300578-1-KIT)

Some usefull links.

Can a semi floater be converted to a FF axle?

Toyota Rear Full Floating Axle

FJ40 Full Floater Axle Build (IH8C-CLIPS)

Ruffstuff full float conversion
Where do you get the tcase brake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom