FRP top question (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last is the rear cross member. It's aluminum, stupid light weight. It has a structure so the full size rear
doors seal, but it doesn't have the upper latch mechanism as the convertible doors with the removable window frame
don't have the upper latch. This thing has a very wide rear rain gutter, and again factory chrome snap fittings to hold
the soft top down. It bolts on by two lower corner bolts and also is supported with the horizontal tiny pipes from the
forward roll bar. This rear bracket can't be uses without the horizontal support pipes, just not enough structure.

I literally just dug it out of a snow pile out back, we've been pounded by snow.

IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

Crap, tried to delete the gutter drain pic, sad attempt at artsy fartsy photog.....

Good thing is that all of these parts are available still from Toyota.

Yeah, I just thought its nice for people to see them first, helps put it into perspective. I am certain I would not myself have gotten these unless I was really in need. This is lots of
money,

I just want to point out that my soft top does not have the convertible doors. Just the solid frame ones but no upper latch. I also have that rear black cross member as well.

This weekend....(if weather permits), I may be removing my soft top for the first time ever under my ownership. I can take pics and share on here if anyone is interested.

I just want to point out that my soft top does not have the convertible doors. Just the solid frame ones but no upper latch. I also have that rear black cross member as well.

This weekend if weather permits, I may be removing my soft top. I can take pics and share on here if anyone is interested.

Please do Matt. I've taken mine off and on maybe 20 times. Each time it's gotten easier. Getting a new soft top helped.

This weekend....(if weather permits), I may be removing my soft top for the first time ever under my ownership. I can take pics and share on here if anyone is interested.

I was just in San Antonio. I had wanted to reach out to you as I was there for a couple of weeks, but just forgot. Next time.
Really would like to see your truck. Be nice to see a soft top in full use and complete. Any extra pics you can load I would
welcome for sure too.
I find it funny, as I expand my stuff people think I want their old stuff and I've collected a couple of rear 70 series doors that
are all beat to crap. I plan to trim the windows off and make them convertible doors for any of my club guys next spring.
Maybe you could find a couple of damaged doors to cut down, might be cheaper than buying convertible doors with the
removable window frame.

Next time you are in San Antonio, feel free to contact me. I don't mind showing you the truck.

I actually have a set of rear doors that are pretty beat up with the upper part cut off. I tried selling them on here before but no one wanted them (condition not worth the shipping cost probably). Maybe one day I will try using them. Here is a pic of them:

IMG_0985_zpshlasj4jg.jpg

IMG_0984_zpsibbc8bfy.jpg

Yup, that is what mine look like. Good cheap summer doors. You could pound out the dents and
spray bomb them the right colour for your truck. Then taking the top off would be fun.
This is mine with my convertible doors, paint job pending......

IMG_1337.JPG

Next time you are in San Antonio, feel free to contact me. I don't mind showing you the truck.

I actually have a set of rear doors that are pretty beat up with the upper part cut off. I tried selling them on here before but no one wanted them (condition not worth the shipping cost probably). Maybe one day I will try using them. Here is a pic of them:

IMG_0985_zpshlasj4jg.jpg

IMG_0984_zpsibbc8bfy.jpg

Hmmm, hit me with a price!

Yup, that is what mine look like. Good cheap summer doors. You could pound out the dents and
spray bomb them the right colour for your truck. Then taking the top off would be fun.
This is mine with my convertible doors, paint job pending......

That looks pretty good!

Please do Matt. I've taken mine off and on maybe 20 times. Each time it's gotten easier. Getting a new soft top helped.

Will do. I will take lots of pics. :)

I am NEVER attempting to take the top off again. Whoever said it was a PITA was not kidding. I would not ask my worse enemy to take it off for me.

I had some major issues on the last step in the shop manual where you slide it out of the windshield frame. It just would not buldge. Then when I decided to give up and install it all back on....you really do have to do each step in reverse...do not skip around!...UGH....

It is time for me to go cool off now.

So after talking to @beno , I decided to try again today to remove the soft top. After sharing the pictures with beno, he has confirmed that mine was converted to soft top mostly OEM parts and a few non-OEM parts.

Long story short, it looks like the previous owner added the bracket to the front windshield that holds the FST in place and the way it was done prevents me from being able to slide it out properly...so I just can't remove the soft top all the way.

Here are some pics of my attempt to remove the top this evening:

IMG_2539_zpsscukfpmh.jpg

IMG_2538_zpsxwquagqx.jpg

IMG_2537_zpszpagywyy.jpg

IMG_2536_zpsms0sfecw.jpg

IMG_2533_zpss5b0kvrn.jpg

IMG_2535_zpsazo8as9x.jpg

IMG_2532_zpsynzr3suo.jpg

IMG_2531_zps9lkhwcbb.jpg

And when I get it all back together.

IMG_2541_zpsppsmiowz.jpg

Last edited:
I realize we're talking apples and oranges here but I once removed the canvas top from my Series 2A Land Rover for the Summer. I carefully suspended it from the ceiling of my garage and left it for several months. When I got around to reinstalling it in the Fall the canvas had dramatically shrunk. I literally had to hang weights on the corners for a couple of weeks while I kept it moist. That was the last Summer I removed that sucker.

I didn't realize there was a track along the box rail in the back. The bottom edge of the canvas hooks
over this along the bottom? Or is it just a barrier to guard against backsplash along the bottom of
the window?
I think he welded that flashing along the windshield and didn't leave enough of a gap, looks a bit
crude unfortunately.

I didn't realize there was a track along the box rail in the back. The bottom edge of the canvas hooks
over this along the bottom? Or is it just a barrier to guard against backsplash along the bottom of
the window?
I think he welded that flashing along the windshield and didn't leave enough of a gap, looks a bit
crude unfortunately.

That railing was installed to keep the FST located on the back sides. That is not OEM.

the window?
crude unfortunately.

As beno pointed out already, the railing is not OEM. It works good though, I will give it that.

The only area of this installation that is poor to me is that windshield frame top channel as you pointed out already. I can't get the top to slide out at that point which is the last step in the shop manual for removing the FST.

I have asked beno to order me a new windshield frame with the proper FST channel and I will install my new top that I already have when I receive the frame from him.

Is anyone able to share with me any pictures of what the box section should look like OEM (as without the rails)? I am just curious to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom