FRP top question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good cruiserdan..

Thank you. A lot of thought (read beer) went into figuring a way to mount the rack that did not look cheezy....:lol:

When I remove the rack I also take the brackets off the roof. I put the screws back in the inserts, sealed with neoprene washers.

My left drip rail has two bad rivets, I'm waiting for the local place to bring some new rivets, so I'll
repair that when they arrive. But your setup looks solid now, this roof otherwise is good shape.

The FRP outer skin is not very thick and I was not sure the nutserts would hold. I have been pleasantly surprised. You do need to exercise caution when you set them to avoid over-crimping the insert and cracking the top. I used a hydraulic setting tool which is much easier for me to control.

Hey Guys
I just got a LJ73 and I live in the USA. I am wondering if the truck above was lifted? If so, what kit and tires are available for 1989 LJ73

My new FST windshield frame came in today. Thanks @beno !

fst%20frame_zpsggp0s3uu.png

That will make removing and mucking around with the soft top a whole lot easier! Nice! J

I hope so.

I must apologize to the OP of this thread for turning it from a FRP thread to a FST thread. I guess I should create my own build thread.

Has anyone done w/s or window runs on the slider window of a FRP?

Any tips, tricks or tips? I've had the W/S kicking around for a year but haven't had a chance to pull the glass and replace.

I think this is referenced elsewhere on mud but have a look:

Replacing a Sliding Glass Window in 75 series Troopy

These are the set provided for me. What do you know about these?
View attachment 1393900

I have the same ones. Procured from Cruiserparts.net

There are two part number supersession tracks.

62755/62756-60050 window runs DO NOT work on the earlier FRP topped sliding windows.

62755/62756-60040 window runs might work. I don't know.

I hope -60040 works. Planning on doing this job next month including blasting and coating frames so I'll report back.

I hope so.

I must apologize to the OP of this thread for turning it from a FRP thread to a FST thread. I guess I should create my own build thread.
Started as a thread about bolts and seals on the FRP top and turned into something far more interesting. One of the reasons I bought the 73 was the removable top and always had a summer soft top option in mind and some great ideas on here

So one soft top install plan would could be 1. source the toyota oem top 2. fabricate roof bows 3. swap windscreen frames?

i have a second windscreen frame here that I have been thinking of modding to accept soft top.

So one soft top install plan would could be 1. source the toyota oem top 2. fabricate roof bows 3. swap windscreen frames?

i have a second windscreen frame here that I have been thinking of modding to accept soft top.

It's a tiny bit more complicated that that.

I just don't think it can be done with the OEM soft top that easily. You see all these aftermarket kits for the 40 series, why hasn't someone done it for the 70 series?

I just don't think it can be done with the OEM soft top that easily. You see all these aftermarket kits for the 40 series, why hasn't someone done it for the 70 series?
Never sold here. Been selling 40's for 40 yrs here. It could be a rhetorical question,

Should someone want a simple bikini solution after removing the fiberglass part of the FRP top, I think using
the same tracks that Bestop sells screwed on same as on the 40 window frame. Then find a upholstery shop
to make a bikini top that passes over the metal hoop would work really well.

I posted some pics of footman loops welded to the back of the metal hoop, these can me copied and would
keep a nice tight tension on the soft top.

Making a complete soft top to sell, that will have to be someone else. I think it could be done with a factory top
as a template. Maybe even make it better as far as convenience.

Never sold here. Been selling 40's for 40 yrs here. It could be a rhetorical question,

Should someone want a simple bikini solution after removing the fiberglass part of the FRP top, I think using
the same tracks that Bestop sells screwed on same as on the 40 window frame. Then find a upholstery shop
to make a bikini top that passes over the metal hoop would work really well.

I posted some pics of footman loops welded to the back of the metal hoop, these can me copied and would
keep a nice tight tension on the soft top.

Making a complete soft top to sell, that will have to be someone else. I think it could be done with a factory top
as a template. Maybe even make it better as far as convenience.

Like so? Helps to have the aftermarket cage.
DSC02013.JPG

I'm going to try to have a full soft top made that steals some ideas from @Trollhole 's custom 40 series top (think magnets). It's just too appealing to go quickly from full top protecting from rain to open top driving during the summer months here in the Colorado Rockies.

Like so? Helps to have the aftermarket cage.
View attachment 1419447
I'm going to try to have a full soft top made that steals some ideas from @Trollhole 's custom 40 series top (think magnets). It's just too appealing to go quickly from full top protecting from rain to open top driving during the summer months here in the Colorado Rockies.
Nailed it!! Sweet!
So details on how you attached to the window, need pics and how you did it.

I like that setup jfrench.
Thanks
Nailed it!! Sweet!
So details on how you attached to the window, need pics and how you did it.
Will take some pics and post tomorrow. I had originally bought a Bestop windshield channel but the shop that made the bikini top recommended a different type of channel (that they sell :rolleyes:). I put nutserts in the windshield to attach the channel. The rear straps are attached to the OEM tie downs on the floor in the rear.

Are you going to have@trollhole make your soft top? I am wondering if he can duplicate the OEM one as well?

Are you going to have@trollhole make your soft top? I am wondering if he can duplicate the OEM one as well?
I contacted him many moons ago about it and we decided it was too easy to screw up having a custom top made without the vehicle local for measurements.

I'm certain his seamstress could come very close to recreating it with a template or exact measurements but suspect it would be even more expensive than what Mr. T wants for a new OEM one, although likely better quality and fancier details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom