FRP top question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I contacted him many moons ago about it and we decided it was too easy to screw up having a custom top made without the vehicle local for measurements.

I'm certain his seamstress could come very close to recreating it with a template or exact measurements but suspect it would be even more expensive than what Mr. T wants for a new OEM one, although likely better quality and fancier details.

I have never seen a trollhole top so I can't compare but it will be pretty hard to beat the quality of the Toyota OEM soft top. Just my opinion.

I have not opened it up yet. I too was on the bench waiting on the "core" frames project.

The cost of the window run was low enough I decided to experiment this. You simply can't remove the glass without removing the frame and you can swap the one piece w/s without removing the glass. But, if you remove the latch mechanisms you can slide the windows far enough to each side to allow replacement the w/s when cut in half. I used a bit of black silicone at the joint and it turned out quite tidy and FAR better than my leaky-noisy original w/s. I still need to do the second window but it should take more than an hour now that the process is sorted.

Before look:
20170321_193932-756x1008.jpg

After:
20170321_193919-756x1008.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. An option if your frames are otherwise presentable. My frames need a refinish to suit the rest of the truck.

Nice. An option if your frames are otherwise presentable. My frames need a refinish to suit the rest of the truck.

Mine do too, I'll end up doing this again when I get donor frames.

Chop-chop!

Nailed it!! Sweet!
So details on how you attached to the window, need pics and how you did it.

Took me a while to get to it but pulled the FRP top today and was able to take some pics.

Windshield frame channel, rivnuts in windshield frame, channel bolted to frame:
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG

In the next few weeks I'll be attacking the FRP top window frames and replacing the rubber and will report back.

Is that channel made of rubber?

Look up 'RV aluminum awning channel'
A rope is sewn into the outer sedge seam and then it slides along within the
channel. The material of the awning is pulling tight against the resistance
of rope being held within the channel.

Thanks cruiserpilot. At first glance I thought it was aluminum or some other kind of metal but if you look closely at the pic where jfrench's thumb is...you can see he is able to squeeze the channel portion.

There is an Aiba works roof rack for sale in classifieds sections. Very much like Cruiserdan's pictured in this thread Post #94.
I don't know the seller or anything... It just reminded me of Dan's.

The cost of the window run was low enough I decided to experiment this. You simply can't remove the glass without removing the frame and you can swap the one piece w/s without removing the glass. But, if you remove the latch mechanisms you can slide the windows far enough to each side to allow replacement the w/s when cut in half. I used a bit of black silicone at the joint and it turned out quite tidy and FAR better than my leaky-noisy original w/s. I still need to do the second window but it should take more than an hour now that the process is sorted.

Before look:
View attachment 1425646

After:
View attachment 1425647

Thread revival. When you did this, where did you put that joint? Just occurred to me I need to get this done. Have you got a pic of where it is? I would think up top in the middle by the post.
Thx, J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom