Front Axle Snap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SmokingRocks

hopelessly addicted to Cruisers
Threads
OK this is really starting to bother me.

If I accelerate occasionally (more now than before) there will be a pop from the front left ish. I'm thinking its axle related. It sounds like something is binding then releasing.

Then if I brake it will pop again. Last week I had the front drive shaft out and it still occurred.

I've checked the brakes and everything is tight. I'm wondering if there is something going on in the hub? The trunions are tight... The steering bar tie rod does have a ball joint that is starting to show some play but its very minimal. Anyone experience this before??

Birfields?
Hub / Trunions?
Brakes????

Its getting louder and more frequent. I can't replicate it on demand but it always seems to happen when accelerating (one pop) then again when braking (another pop). Like I said it is a binding then releasing sound. I'd get a video of it but its unpredictable. Im getting worried about it since it's now starting to pop at a louder more alarming volume. I don't want to have a hub fall off on the freeway or something. Remember it happens with the driveshaft removed too.

I would say drive flanges but you shouldn't see that with the front DS out.

Right, I thought that too. But since it happens with the DS out I am thinking its related to the torque applied to the hub from the brakes.

You can always try removing the drive flanges to isolate the birfs/diff.

Just a thought.. You sure it is the front axle and not a body mount or control arm bolt loose?

I had thought about this but the front control arms bushings were just replaced with OEM's. They are going to slee castor plates, that are bolted and welded to the axle. I guess it could be a body mount but why would it bind and release?

I'm not a good mechanic by any means, just did my first knuckle job. So as the least qualified person, I would guess a bad wheel bearing considering it's the only other moving part, right?

Right, I will be replacing the bearings and races before cruise Moab. I found out I've been packing my bearings wrong all this time (used molly for everything, but I've been told that I should use the red sticky wheel bearing grease for the bearings).

Doesn't sound like the issue here, but i will toss this out, I had a nasty popping sound from the PS. I would have sworn it was in the knuckle or bushings. Ended up being a loose bolt on my skid plate reverbing down the frame.

I have something like this going on too but it's not loud and it isn't doing it bad yet. I get a snap or pop when braking and turning sometimes. I think it's a body bushing.

I had a worse problem like this and it turned out to be the panhard rod contacting my front diff armor.

For one it turned out to be a loose rear swing out bumper. These noises are hard to chase down.

I apologize for getting off topic here, but this story about not using moly EP grease in wheel bearings has to cease. Have you had issues? I haven't either. For 25 years I have put black moly grease in and on everything. Even the damn container says for "disc brake wheel bearings, etc.".

Have you considered your motor mounts in relation to your current, mystery noise. Just a thought.

yea I can feel it with my foot through the floor. It could be a motor mount I guess but they are new OEM units.

I constantly have the rig in the air on my lift and always check bolts, havent found anything loose.

Sound like a front coil spring moving around? Loose spacer on top of coil? Should be able to see fresh wear/movement marks if it is. John

Sticking caliper?

Lost caliper bolt???
Look inside of rim for a clue.

I'm running 4" TJM springs with no spacers. Prior setup from PO was 850's OME with spacer. Snap was heard prior to and after the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom