Builds Fly By Night (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like POR 15, for certain applications. I used it on my 1970 Ford’s core support and inner fenders 10 years ago and they still look great. It’s the only thing I’ve found so far with the chassis black I’m looking for, besides what’s getting covered in truck bed liner.

Removed the clutch master, brake master/booster, hard lines, pedal bucket, and some park brake hardware.

So, the wife is as excited as me about doing this resto, she even went ahead and ordered me the truck bed liner I’m gonna use.(!) Probably pick up some paint next week.

B5EAEE31-E034-45FC-8961-684B2562A476.jpeg

76285124-F865-495A-A1B8-6CF3C2BAB5C6.jpeg

598F742B-1A8C-4D96-A177-1E00DB6B35C2.jpeg

What are you bed lining?

Gonna line the fender well portion of the inner and outer fenders, the inner firewall, floorboards, and cargo area. Still not entirely sure if I’m gonna line the outer firewall (don’t know if it will handle the heat). At some point I want to re-line the underside of the tub as well.

Been trying to search up some of the insulation guys have used for their headliners and inner firewalls, and can only find the rubber mat that J Mac used (which looks great), and SCRAPDADDY’s 6 coatings of various Lizard Skin products(which also looks great). Any of you who have made your own firewall insulation mat care to chime in with what you used?

Still not entirely sure if I’m gonna line the outer firewall (don’t know if it will handle the heat).

The Monstaliner I used over the LZ stuff has worked fine, no problems with the under hood heat that I know of. Since experimenting with no a/c and the Kansas prairie I've got to believe that those insulating products do work. We were hot, but not that bad.

I am also pleased with the Monstaliner that I put on mine. It looks to be pretty close to the Pro-tex that you are looking at. I say do it and I look forward to seeing it in Utah at pp19.

The lizard skin works. My old exhaust used to cook the floor and it was getting close 300 degrees. Just putting the thermal lizard skin and raptor liner it was only getting to 90-100 degrees. Now that I moved the exhaust it's like a regular car.

I made my own version of Lizard Skin, I used Noxyde, it’s a great elastomeric coating that will last a long time and help prevent future rusting issues as the base material (NOXYDE® ) and bought the ceramic "microspheres" here ( Insulating Paint Additive Makes Paint Insulate ) to turn it into an insulating coating.

I coated every square inch including all the hard to reach areas of the interior roof and floor, firewall both sides, inside door cavities, under hood, wheel wells and undercoating.

Works very well, I have a turbo right next to my fire wall and a three inch exhaust tube just inches away from the passengers floor (foot well). We’ll see EGT’s around 1100° for hours on long drives battling a head wind still trying the go 85MPH and my bride never once complained about the floor getting warm on her bare feet.

I believe the rubber cargo mat I used helps too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom