This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Collective genius at IH8Mud,

I recently bought my first Cruiser, an 83 FJ60, bone stock, doors and top removed, roll bar added, 150K miles. Found it on CL, flew out to IL, and drove it home to UT. The 1800 mile trip was awesome. It ran fine, pretty gutless, averaged 11 mpg, would get hot from time to time ( I found a pinhole leak in the radiator).

As there are some issues to be addressed, I'm seeking advice on whether there are other parts I should replace while working on the rig. Like unto my house, I'm glad we repainted the walls while I had the old carpet torn out. As I don't have a ton of experience on Cruisers, I need your expertise. The body is in excellent shape, shocks need replaced, brakes need done, parking brake needs repaired, radiator needs replaced, steering damper needs replaced, exhaust (including cat) is rusted through, the trans can be rough shifting into 2nd and difficult to get back into first, and lastly it is leaks a small amount of oil in 2 places and a lot (8 oz over 10 days) of a light/clear colored fluid (similar in viscosity to oil) that I am guessing is power steering fluid.

In particular, is there anything I should replace while replacing the radiator and associated hoses? I plan to replace then power steer with a Saginaw unit, anything else while I am there? For the trans, should I just deal with it the way it is as its not too bad? Is it worth it to replace the cat and muffler, or maybe just the muffler and get rid of the cat (as it is 30+ years old I don't have to get emissions done)?

I don't see any of the repairs being too major, but I'd like any advice on other components that may be on their way out for this timeframe/mileage. Any help will greatly appreciated, thank you! I've attached a picture from the epic drive home, enjoy!
view

IMG_0009.jpg

Psychedelic pic.

The hard shifting into first and second might be your clutch not fully disengaging.

Bet that was a cold drive..

This statement struck me funny :)

"bone stock, doors and top removed"

Interesting first mods by the PO...but looks like fun! If it's not gonna be your daily then I'm inclined to just fix things as you need, or if it makes sense to do while you are fixing one thing (e.g thermostat, hoses, flush while you have the rad out for repair). I'm a fan of keeping major components of each system on like time. Designed wear items an obvious exception.

Bet that was a cold drive..

This statement struck me funny :)

"bone stock, doors and top removed"

the 50% of the remaining vehicle hasn't been touched. :) Should definitely post some more pix though, it looks pretty interesting.

Love that picture! Safety stuff, like brakes, is always a good place to start. Also the cooling system. The power steering uses atf, so should be red not clear, but it can be a little hard to tell the color after a leak...location ought to give it away though. Clean things up, stop leaks, change fluids if service history is unknown. Congrats on the new cruiser.

That's an interesting 60 for sure.

If the PO let maintenance slide, then pretty much everything is on the hit list. I'd make a list of priorities based on safety and drive ability. Most important first.

Don't defer too long on the clutch though, hard shifting can be the signs of a bad pilot bearing. It also accelerates wear on the synchros.
If the pilot bearing friction becomes too great (for example) the input shaft on the tranny can spin free of the race, grinding itself down and ruining the tip...fast.

I remember seeing that for sale. Had to be quite an experience driving it that far. Did you fly in and pick it up?

in for more pictures of this beast. looks like it was shortened to me but it may be my mind playing tricks on me

Drive it and drive it some more...it will tell you what is needed. Safety before anything of course.

Check the shift seat before declaring the transmission is shot. Also make sure the components are working as they should. If one is bad, replace them both. Pretty inexpensive IIRC.

If radiator is original and not falling apart other than the pinhole leak, just get it repaired. I did this with mine and it has been worry free since. 2-3 years holding strong.

Why do you already feel the need to swap over to Saginaw? I still run a stock set-up with 33" tires and have zero complaints.

While you have the radiator out you could do water pump, thermostat and fan clutch if you think it needs it. Hoses should be inspected and replace any that are questionable.

HTH and x2 more pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom