FJ55 f engine Carb tune issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aisin carb dated as the correct model for the year(1972) based on the SOR site. Rrecently rebuilt. after a few fixes, I thought I woud attempot to fine tune things. Was planning on doing a lean drop idle adjustment but whne I attemped to use the mixture screw it had no effect on the idle speed. Upon looking further I also attempted to adjust the idle speed screw which, to my supprise wasnt even touching the tab below the screw (that was all the way in) that adjusts the idle connected to the linkage. Turns out the only way I can adjust the idle is by tensioning the throttle cable which i know is incorrect. Seems to run decently aside from an exhaust manifold leak. the installed vaccum gauge show decent vaccum too. checked for vac leaks with starter fluid..
i did not remove any linkage when I rebuilt it and from before and after pics, shows it was reassembled the same way.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue(s)?

throttle cable attachment.jpg
idle adj screw 2.jpg

rebuilt Aisin.jpg
vaccum idle.jpg

Are you sure that that screw is the idle speed screw? It might be the choke idle speed screw...

Are you sure that that screw is the idle speed screw? It might be the choke idle speed screw...
I believe so, I identified both and adjusted what looked like the idle screw , not the choke one. The 1st pic shows the choke idle screw. the one I said dosent touch the tab is facing the head. this pic attached shows both , the idle speed screw on the left.

idle speed  choke idle.jpg

Ok, my 10/73 carb linkage is completely different. I can't see my idle speed screw, i have to feel around for it with a screwdriver. Thought maybe yours was hiding as well

20230805_130856.jpg

If you look down the carb and see gas dribbling out of the primary emulsifier, that will explain why the idle mixture screw has no effect. The idle mixture screw has no effect on the primary. You have to back EVERYTHING off until no gas dribbles out of the emulsifier.

If you cannot get the truck to stay running without gas dribbling out of the emulsifier, then the idle circuit is either plugged (happens very easily) or there is insufficient vacuum to draw gas through the idle circuit.

15” is insufficient.

See Post #10

Ok, my 10/73 carb linkage is completely different. I can't see my idle speed screw, i have to feel around for it with a screwdriver. Thought maybe yours was hiding as well

View attachment 3393464
yep, mine was hiding under that seconcary counter weight , same spot as what you showed. Thanks! Able to adjust idle w throttle cable loosened up. now.

If you look down the carb and see gas dribbling out of the primary emulsifier, that will explain why the idle mixture screw has no effect. The idle mixture screw has no effect on the primary. You have to back EVERYTHING off until no gas dribbles out of the emulsifier.

If you cannot get the truck to stay running without gas dribbling out of the emulsifier, then the idle circuit is either plugged (happens very easily) or there is insufficient vacuum to draw gas through the idle circuit.

15” is insufficient.

See Post #10

Idling now but the low vaccum still is an issue. ISsthe only way to address that chasing down the leak? If so soukds like I'll need to replace my manifold gasket. I can get the RPMs down just below 1k but the vaccum is low (11-13) and as a result runs but sometimes dies.

Read some FAQs. Work on dwell, timing and valve adjustment before fussing with manifold gaskets.

Sometimes, advancing the timing a bit can increase the manifold vacuum AND stop it from dying so much...

Sometimes, advancing the timing a bit can increase the manifold vacuum AND stop it from dying so much...
Thanks . tomorrow I am gonna check points, plugs and timing. I havent replaced any tune up parts yet so I think I might start there although cap looks in decent shape and so did the plugs but all new basic tune up items might be a good idea. 😏

ok, so I moved onto adjusting the valves. I adjusted the 1st sequence of valves in the pic below at TDC. very easy. how can I align the cam so I can do the remaining valves, 4,6,8,10,11 12. IT says to rotate crank 1 full turn which would put me back in the samne position. "align timing marks" does this mean on the BB? Thanks

1692561882575.png

ok, so I moved onto adjusting the valves. I adjusted the 1st sequence of valves in the pic below at TDC. very easy. how can I align the cam so I can do the remaining valves, 4,6,8,10,11 12. IT says to rotate crank 1 full turn which would put me back in the samne position. "align timing marks" does this mean on the BB? Thanks

View attachment 3406250

maybe this is related ?

Post good clear up close pics of yours ?

thanks

2FAAFF69-F800-4B31-81E5-38848A355F0B.jpeg
D124DADD-C32D-4483-ADB3-59E4258FEB0B.jpeg
E265B0B4-667C-4DE5-9A8C-D56A128DAFAA.jpeg

4D926285-2A11-4477-9364-FD6BCBBB2DD5.jpeg

IMG_1716.jpg
IMG_1714.jpg

One full turn doesn’t put you back in same position. Turn the motor over one rotation after your first adjustment, the other set of exhaust and intake valves will be ready to be adjusted, just like magic.

Of course its related to the issues but, I'm still going through and adjusting valves. checking the poiint gap etc. heres a pic of my rebuilt Aisin.
I have a feeling the idle channel may be clogged tho. This unit had only 300 miles on it before it was parked for a few decades...

rebuilt Aisin.jpg

Of course its related to the issues but, I'm still going through and adjusting valves. checking the poiint gap etc. heres a pic of my rebuilt Aisin.
I have a feeling the idle channel may be clogged tho. This unit had only 300 miles on it before it was parked for a few decades...

View attachment 3406349

remove your IDLE screw

- see if the TIP is perfect CONE or no ?

- use carb clean down the empty idle screw bore

blow out compressed air using KID GLOVES here

report back any difference ?

this 5 minute thrik may help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom