FJ40 shackle angle/ Do I need new springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this is the other way for breaking in stiff springs

P1010297.JPG

P1000119.JPG

Krondor,

Ideally the shackle should meet the spring at a right angle. Your front doesn't look too bad; the rear is definitely bad. I don't think adding longer shackles will do anything to improve that, but if the truck is not yet at its full GVW I'd load it first and then evaluate. I suspect it will still be sub-optimal.

you have skyjacker springs

you will need a longer rear shackles .... skyjackers arch has always been tight like that... you will get alot more weight on the back besides 100 lbs... spare tire carrier.... spare.... needless junk... people... and its the overall weight as well... they will settle a bit as well

make sure shackles are not tight either

I have had my skyjackers for over 20 years with maybe 200,000 miles on them... its a VERY nice soft ride now

not sure your statement on the Skyjackers being naturally tight is correct - I have never had a problem (inherited my truck from the PO with 4" Skyjackers, and also installed a new Skyjacker set of 4" springs in the rear several years ago) - my shackles are the anti-inversion-type from 4-Plus (not all that much longer than stock)

Last edited:
Hangers on the frame are 42.5" c-c
4"skyjacker springs is 45.5" c-c
Stock shackles is 2.75" it is too short and bottomed out and stop compression before the spring get flat , not good ,its the bump stop job to stop compression ,not the shackles job.
3.5" - 4" c-c shackles is ideal

see the place where it hit the hanger with stock shackle like @rkymtnflyfisher point erlier

20200110_163141.jpg

20200110_162956.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom