Builds Fj40 Daily and Wheeler build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started lengthening the sliders today...
20171231_122822-1008x756.jpg
20171231_133432-756x1008.jpg
20171231_143751-756x1008.jpg
20171231_154621-1008x756.jpg
20171231_154632-1008x756.jpg

My front shackle hangers have seemed strained from all the suspension movement. So I bought some creeper joints-a type of Johnny joint. So out with the old. I put some shielding in place for torching off the passenger side so I didn't die. Also I've taken many steps to get rid of death wobble, I still get the shakes once in a while, hoping this will fix that.
20180101_103620-756x1008.jpg
20180101_151504-1008x756.jpg
20180101_130606-1008x756.jpg

Nice. The welds are much better looking on the new hangers :) In the future I'd grind back the paint a bit more and it would most liely prevent those black soot looking spots in the weld from happening.

Nice. The welds are much better looking on the new hangers :) In the future I'd grind back the paint a bit more and it would most liely prevent those black soot looking spots in the weld from happening.
Does the soot affect weld integrity? In my defense, unfortunately when I do fabrication on my rig it's always at someone else's shop, using someone else's equipment, and depending who used the equipment last can be in great working order or not so much. While I'm grateful for the use of the equipment, I'm always under the gun to get it done and get my rig out of the way. Sometimes after work I'll run to a shop to do fab work and I'm pretty wore out and my hand eye coordination is not at maximum efficiency. Today I had more time, so I sat down with the welder, messed with the settings, did some test beads, and I think I got some nice welds and pretty good penetration. Anyway, I just seem to have days where I weld terribly. Today the auto darkening helmet I was borrowing died, so I grabbed a normal flip helmet which had a crazy dark shade on it. That made it a little more challenging.

Thanks man. Is your rig on the road yet? I remember you were getting close.

Been driving it some I still need to pull the tank back out and fix the suction, its stopped up. Using the return side and keeping it full. still need to adj. the front end properly and get some tires. Engine needs some miles put on it yet to get broke in, runs really well though.

Does the soot affect weld integrity? In my defense, unfortunately when I do fabrication on my rig it's always at someone else's shop, using someone else's equipment, and depending who used the equipment last can be in great working order or not so much. While I'm grateful for the use of the equipment, I'm always under the gun to get it done and get my rig out of the way. Sometimes after work I'll run to a shop to do fab work and I'm pretty wore out and my hand eye coordination is not at maximum efficiency. Today I had more time, so I sat down with the welder, messed with the settings, did some test beads, and I think I got some nice welds and pretty good penetration. Anyway, I just seem to have days where I weld terribly. Today the auto darkening helmet I was borrowing died, so I grabbed a normal flip helmet which had a crazy dark shade on it. That made it a little more challenging.

It looks fine for your application. I wouldn’t be concerned enough to grind it out and re-weld it.

Been driving it some I still need to pull the tank back out and fix the suction, its stopped up. Using the return side and keeping it full. still need to adj. the front end properly and get some tires. Engine needs some miles put on it yet to get broke in, runs really well though.
Cool. Sounds like your on the home stretch.

20180106_165617-1008x756.jpg
20180106_165610-1008x756.jpg
Trying to make my hood more wheeler friendly-as in all the flexing it does, it does so better. First I doubled up hinge gaskets on the cowl. I did this to lift the rear of the hood slightly. Next I painted the bib edge and hood edge. I don't use the factory rubber pads and got some different sliders that are more durable and taller. The extra height will help with hood flex I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom