Builds Fj40 Daily and Wheeler build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well mock up is done. Everything is going to fit. Removed brackets and will clean them up. Also am going to replace the side cover gasket, front crank seal, hoses, water pump, and fan clutch.
20180408_191036-756x1008.jpg
20180408_193159-1008x756.jpg

Wow! Nice bracket fab job!! You should teach a class on that :clap:..

:cheers:

While everything is apart I should do the side gasket and front crank seal since their leaking...
20180410_190809-756x1008.jpg
20180410_203507-1008x756.jpg
side gasket was pretty easy. Front crank seal was tougher and I did the cover gasket and water pump as well. The bolts on the timing cover are different lengths. So I reviewed the Japanese sacred writings...
20180411_201807-756x1008.jpg
20180411_204838-756x1008.jpg
20180411_235508.jpg

Since everything is apart I decided to redo my power steering pump setup. I scored a Volvo pump cheap from eBay about a year ago. My current setup had too large and narrow of a pulley. That bracket was almost impossible to adjust right, and the pump had a press on pulley so the snout was really close to the fan. So I made a bracket for the Volvo pump. I wanted to just buy one, but was unsure of if any of those I found would work with the Volvo pump. It was hard to get it lined up with the other pulleys and in a spot where it clears everything. I think it will work. The Volvo pulley is smaller so should give more assist, I also modified the pressure valve for more pump pressure. My previous pump had difficulty turning the 35s when aired down at slow speeds. My motor isn't near a pretty as a lot of cruisers on this forum, but I am trying to clean things up properly as I go. It does run well though. Part of me wants to do a v8, but the mighty 2f is a big component that gives my 40 the 40 "feel." Also I'm not sure I have the shop resources to do a v8 anyway currently or the finances.
20180412_230651-1008x756.jpg
20180412_231005-1008x756.jpg

For future reference, diff protection...
Toyota 9.5" Landcruiser Diff Armor

Last edited:
A.c. is all done. I trashed my stereo because I don't listen to music in my 40 anymore and installed this cb for the trails. Put a cb antenna in place of the am/fm antenna. The a.c. works well, smells like chemicals when I turn it on, probably from being new. Really strange having a.c. in my 40, never thought I would have it but I'm a wimp in the heat. I need to finish installing the sliders and drive it a bit to make sure their is no bugs. Going to hit moab with it this next month. Hope everything works.

20180419_213440-1008x756.jpg

Last edited:
Can you give some more pix of the Vintage installation please?? Under hood and in cab?? Any weird spots that you did not like or
had to maneuver around to get it in?? I'm doing one with V8 right now and it is a bit of a challenge under the hood!!

Cheers!

Can you give some more pix of the Vintage installation please?? Under hood and in cab?? Any weird spots that you did not like or
had to maneuver around to get it in?? I'm doing one with V8 right now and it is a bit of a challenge under the hood!!

Cheers!

Cheers!
They have a specific kit for v8 fj40s. I went with a champion radiator made for a v8 to help it cool better, I also installed a new fan clutch. It runs cooler now. Under the dash they tell you to drill two holes toward the front of the bottom of the glove box to hold up the ac unit, but gloss over the third hole for the bracket near the fan filter, so don't forget to mark and drill a hole for that. They also tell you to put a white ground wire to the back side of the firewall hose plate-thats almost impossible to reach. I put the ground to the 3rd hole on the bottom of the glove box with a nut. Other than than no issues.

They have a specific kit for v8 fj40s. I went with a champion radiator made for a v8 to help it cool better, I also installed a new fan clutch. It runs cooler now. Under the dash they tell you to drill two holes toward the front of the bottom of the glove box to hold up the ac unit, but gloss over the third hole for the bracket near the fan filter, so don't forget to mark and drill a hole for that. They also tell you to put a white ground wire to the back side of the firewall hose plate-thats almost impossible to reach. I put the ground to the 3rd hole on the bottom of the glove box with a nut. Other than than no issues.

Thank you so very much! That is exactly the kind of data I was looking for...save a few cuss words and scraped/busted knuckles is a very wonderful thing!! Love how you used the original knobs in place of the cheesy Vintage units!!

:cheers:

So rig is pretty much ready to wheel a bit ahead of schedule. So I'm going to install my cruiser crap center console. Took a gander at the instructions, pretty straight forward. First installed the mounting brackets. The supplied hardware didn't really work and some stuff was missing so I grabbed some stainless stuff left over from the aqualu.
20180423_194729-756x1008.jpg
20180423_200828-756x1008.jpg

Nobody is ever done with their 40, but ffs you have got to be getting close.

Nice work!
Ha ya honestly this is probably about it for quite a while except for actually using it. I've been driving it around town a lot trying to see if it's ready for the trails.

Wiring up the a.c. wasn't too difficult. I had a bunch of circuits I've slowly added over the years that were ran to the battery and since the battery is now in the back i put them all on the circuit breaker. Well the circuit breaker stud would not fit one more wire terminal and I came to terms I had to take 2 steps back n do it right. So I pulled all those wires and put them to a fuse box. Looks better,and is how I should have done it in the first place.
20180428_155720-1008x756.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom