Builds FitzJ60 1983 FJ60 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 1451964

Got some 70 series parts in this week to see if they would work for the door cards and locker switch. Handles are front handles from mid eighties 70 series front doors. I'm not sure that they will work with the 60 doors without modifications. That's going to be a bit down the road until I make or get a set of partial door cards.

The switch housing fits the bottom portion of the 70 series dash and looks like it could easily retrofit into a 60 series dash. It houses the OEM dash elocked switch.

View attachment 1451963

When comparing to the 62 transfer switch switch to the 70 series locker housing the sizes are very close and makes me want to retro fit the transfer switch to fit the Locker shape/blank. Since I have an early 60 with a 62 lower dash (original was full of holes from the PO mounting things) if I could get this to work it would look very clean.

View attachment 1451962

I replaced the front seat belts with belts from Seatbelt Planet which the front receiver didn't have a wired sensor for the seatbelt light which got me thinking about using the front two indicators under the RPM for front and rear lockers indicators.

Slow progress on #FitzJ60 the rear HJ61 seat mounting has been a challenge to get bolted in. With the level of frustration with trying to get them bolted in has me wanting to finish the interior so I don't have to unbolt them again.

So crusiercrap 80mil getting ordered, MLV from @red66toy on hand, noico acoustic foam then vinyal flooring. Should be pretty quite after all that.

Also pulling the trigger on a center storage console which will need to play well with the 62 heater.

Headed to socal later this week and hope to roll with @xtiaan2000 and check out @mattressking's rig. Should have parts waiting when I get home.

Whaaat, really!? I'll send you a message

Sub'd!

Still waiting on parts to come in for the sound deadening.

I changed the oil last week and have a persistent leak and lower oil pressure than before it looks like the oil drain bolt is not sitting flush due the oil pan being dented next to the drain. I'm also thinking the oil pan skid plate welds have cracked thru and i'm getting some oil through there as well.

I have a new oil pan gasket but am wondering is it's not a huge leak just monitor and hold off until I get to the H55 /clutch change and do it at the same time?

WA snagged a wicked nice day today and we took #FitzJ60 out for a rip up Chuckanut Drive to Taylor Shellfish Farms for lunch and the boy's first oyster.

BE377AF6-87AE-4D3C-A481-DFF85169A9AC.jpg
938F3E91-3F86-435C-82E1-71B739101A2C.jpg
536AA9D2-7C16-4CE4-84BE-4B7B3C63B3C5.jpg

Center console, and deadener arrived from Crusier Crap finally. I have the console mocked up and hope to have everything mounted this week. I'll have to wait on the deadener until after NW Overland Rally. If anyone is planning on being there let me know!
IMG_3296.JPG
IMG_3297.JPG
IMG_3298.JPG

I loaded up the car before my wife came home from work on Friday and told her to pack a bag of clothes. She went with it and we took #FitzJ60 up to Mt. Baker area. It's a sweet campground right on the river. We came home the next day. I hope we can do more trips like that this summer.

444960A9-2AE4-4EA3-8C3C-B645AA3D7FB6.jpg
B229E0D3-B53C-4D48-8339-8A0E5CA76240.jpg
CE53AECD-B2D2-42F7-A156-DC89C2541A0C.jpg
561D6F8F-32E3-414A-9C67-11930DB0A937.jpg
ABBB28AE-8F42-4B03-8824-2DF738B5D1E6.jpg

IMG_3345.JPG
IMG_3348.JPG

Spent a couple hours on #FitzJ60 before work today. Needed to get the rear heater (FJ62) heater center mounted so that I can mount the Crusier Crap center console to the top.

I used aluminum square tube from Home Depot, which I already had from the power steering cooler install. I cut a length and drilled holes to mount to the OEM floor pan mounts which held in the stock FJ60 center console. I cut into the "front" side of the square tube to allow the tightening of the front heat bolt mounted through the top part of the tube. It's not the prettiest mount fabrication but it looks as if it will be functional.

I'm hoping that there is enough rigidity to the structure so that the top of the console won't flex side to side. If there is excessive movement I will fab up a rear support structure (Aluminum channel or angle) that will mount to the same rear heater bolt pattern but "stand" above and help support the rear of the center console. This may have to be bolted together for the short term until I can get my father-in law to help me tig weld it together (or buy my own set-up)

I hope to get the rest buttoned up tomorrow but that might depend on if I can tire out my 2 year old to take a 3 hr nap vs. a 2 hr nap.

NW Overland is next week! Keep on me, in need to knock this stuff out. Felt good to get some progress done today.

Punch List

-Center console install. Done ✅

-Order CB radio.

Center steering wheel / steering shaft bolts / steering shaft shield replace/install

- 3m gasket seal (oreilys) - air canister replacement seal install. Stickers for air intake. Done ✅

-Snorkel install(time depending)

-Tire leak fixed (front driver bead leak)

-Rear hitch / recovery points. Done ✅

-Spare tire carrier mounted. Done ✅

-Rear Aussie locker install. Done ✅

Last edited:
You can do it! Might have to burn the midnight oil.

Few hours of work today.

IMG_3358.JPG

Bent the front bracket of the kit mount to match the front seat mount rib.

IMG_3361.JPG

Front mount bent and trimmed in the new mounting location. Further back from the kit location (see the front mounting holes)

IMG_3362.JPG
IMG_3367.JPG

Here is the front mount angled and fit to the front seat mount rib. I used 2 captured nuts on the seat mount rib to mount the front of the console. The rear mounts are currently the top of the 62 rear heater. (I'll see how that works may need to add a rear frame work to add more support.)

Feels good to check something off the punch list.

IMG_3360.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good Nook.

View attachment 1475004 View attachment 1475005

Spent a couple hours on #FitzJ60 before work today. Needed to get the rear heater (FJ62) heater center mounted so that I can mount the Crusier Crap center console to the top.

I used aluminum square tube from Home Depot, which I already had from the power steering cooler install. I cut a length and drilled holes to mount to the OEM floor pan mounts which held in the stock FJ60 center console. I cut into the "front" side of the square tube to allow the tightening of the front heat bolt mounted through the top part of the tube. It's not the prettiest mount fabrication but it looks as if it will be functional.

I'm hoping that there is enough rigidity to the structure so that the top of the console won't flex side to side. If there is excessive movement I will fab up a rear support structure (Aluminum channel or angle) that will mount to the same rear heater bolt pattern but "stand" above and help support the rear of the center console. This may have to be bolted together for the short term until I can get my father-in law to help me tig weld it together (or buy my own set-up)

I hope to get the rest buttoned up tomorrow but that might depend on if I can tire out my 2 year old to take a 3 hr nap vs. a 2 hr nap.

NW Overland is next week! Keep on me, in need to knock this stuff out. Felt good to get some progress done today.

Punch List

-Order CB radio.

Center steering wheel / steering shaft bolts / steering shaft shield replace/install

- 3m gasket seal (oreilys) - air canister replacement seal install. Stickers for air intake. Done ✅

-Rear hitch / recovery points.

-Spare tire carrier mounted.

IMG_3404.JPG

Getting thru the list.

Rear axle ✅

Retorqued the rear U-Bolt While I was in there. 90 ft lbs, in case you haven't checked yours.

Gotta move on the rest of this stuff.

Should I have ordered an awning?

#NWOverlandRally is Thursday/Friday

(checking if any awnings are Amazon Prime items)

IMG_3391.PNG

It was late las night and I couldn't get the 4th bolt in the tire carrier. Turns out, the bolts are indexed so you don't mount it backwards.

IMG_3405.JPG

My new friends: Meaty & Beefy courtesy of @reevesci aka Trail Tailor

IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3407.JPG

Punch List

-Order CB radio.

-Rear hitch / recovery points. Done ✅

-Spare tire carrier mounted. Done ✅

IMG_3420.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3433.JPG
IMG_3472.JPG
Some cool builds out there. Got to drive a 5.3 powered 85 (last photo) and that was different. The power was nice but I guess i had thought it would change the handeling, which it didn't. (Think my rig with newer suspension and steering handled better)

Kind think a V8 might not the the direction I would go if I was to re-power (down the road)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom