Firewood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Copperheads love woodpiles. Usually some mice there for them to go after.

It's the most common venomous snake we have around my place.

I leave them alone when I encounter them out in the woods or a pasture, but when they venture up around the house, my shop or an outbuilding....then they get dispatched.

Copperheads.jpg
CopperHead1.JPG

^^^^^
EDIT
Just a friendly tip:

If you should ever happen to dispatch a snake with a chainsaw (as was done in the second pic) be SURE to use the top of the bar so that it throws the snake AWAY from you. I didn't think about that and used the bottom of the bar and the chain jerked the snake right up under my feet!

Last edited:
Copperheads love woodpiles. Usually some mice there for them to go after.

It's the most common venomous snake we have around my place.

I leave them alone when I encounter them out in the woods or a pasture, but when they venture up around the house, my shop or an outbuilding....then they get dispatched.

View attachment 2436982View attachment 2436984
They are the most common around here too,
We’ve got a big black snake here around the house that keeps them away.

Firewood’s in for the year now on to bow hunting.View attachment 2437343

Good job. Good luck bow-hunting.

Had to give up the old Stick and String last year. After 50 years of traditional bow-hunting (longbows and recurves) my shoulder 'rotator cuff' just won't take it anymore. Archery has always been my 'first love', but sadly I have to give it up.

Enjoyed countless hours hunting and practicing though, so I can't complain.

Good job. Good luck bow-hunting.

Had to give up the old Stick and String last year. After 50 years of traditional bow-hunting (longbows and recurves) my shoulder 'rotator cuff' just won't take it anymore. Archery has always been my 'first love', but sadly I have to give it up.

Enjoyed countless hours hunting and practicing though, so I can't complain.
Thanks, I don’t get to serious, it’s more about hanging out in the woods.
I do both just got my first compound a few years ago.
My dad always told me wheels are for sissies.

CC2D2E9E-012D-487D-A7B6-30050D6F248F.jpeg

Some 20 degree weather and snow in western Virginia made me happy that I got my firewood duties done earlier this fall. Hope everyone is staying warm!

judging by the roof snow, that outside furnace must be very well insulated. Nice.

Summer work is paying off here for sure.

20201211_201258_1.gif

I use these racks to store firewood. Makes it easy to move to the shop or house with the tractor. Currently have ten of them full with another pile split, waiting to be put in the racks and covered on top.

98204346_3329689440395257_1758720946581012480_n.jpg

^^ you may want to think about partially cutting off one side, makes it much easier to load and unload.

There’s nothing like working in the woods!
View attachment 2530743
View attachment 2530744
View attachment 2530745
And cooking over a fire!
View attachment 2530747
Whole roasted chicken
View attachment 2530748
and ribeye steaks... we sure know how to eat!
What size excavator is that? I have been going back and forth whether I want a 10k-11k pound excavator to help clear woods or go with the skid steer. Need to remove a few hundred 4-6" oaks in the woods at the farm. Love the utility of the excavators.

A Mini ex with a thumb is the only thing I use with trees. They push, hold, move, lift...etc. it's the most efficient machine for tree work.
IMG_0355.JPG

What size excavator is that? I have been going back and forth whether I want a 10k-11k pound excavator to help clear woods or go with the skid steer. Need to remove a few hundred 4-6" oaks in the woods at the farm. Love the utility of the excavators.
A mini excavator is about the best money you can spend on equipment. So versatile. That model is about 6500 pounds. Invest in a hydraulic thumb.
Skid steers are great as you can get so many attachments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom