Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im glad someone’s finally doing a double sheer setup
While at work I’ve been watching videos of commerce taking place over very crappy roads in third world countries where their lives depend on their machines and concerted labor. They don’t have what we have. In fact they run very old equipment until it breaks and then they fix it with nothing just so they can eat.

I look forward to viewing my next project here. LOL

Last edited:
While at work I’ve been watching videos of commerce taking place over very crappy roads in third world countries where their lives depend on their machines and concerted labor. They don’t have what we have. In fact they run very old equipment until it breaks and then they fix it with nothing just so they can eat.

I look forward to viewing my next project here. LOL
Hi Steve

Few more pictures from the shop. Panhard will definitely need to be cut off and redone. Angles are way too different between draglink and panhard now that it was moved on top of the Hellfire steering arm.

WNo0wBOh.jpeg

P5UKjenh.jpeg

h4zw98jh.jpeg

Few more pictures from the shop. Panhard will definitely need to be cut off and redone. Angles are way too different between draglink and panhard now that it was moved on top of the Hellfire steering arm.

WNo0wBOh.jpeg

P5UKjenh.jpeg

h4zw98jh.jpeg
That's just sexy.

what is the benefit of doing this compared to the previus setup?
A double sheer set up with a heim should be able to take twice the sheer force as a single sheer set up with a heim. I asked an engineer friend about single sheer heims vs tie rod ends. If I understood him right, it seems like a tie rod will be a little stronger because the clamping force applied to a tie rod has a greater threshold due to the taper.

But, I’m not an engineer and I could’ve completely understood him wrong.

what is the benefit of doing this compared to the previus setup?

A double sheer set up with a heim should be able to take twice the sheer force as a single sheer set up with a heim. I asked an engineer friend about single sheer heims vs tie rod ends. If I understood him right, it seems like a tie rod will be a little stronger because the clamping force applied to a tie rod has a greater threshold due to the taper.

But, I’m not an engineer and I could’ve completely understood him wrong.

Main reason for making these changes was converting from y-link steering to crossover steering and redoing the panhard. The double shear was just a while-we're-in-there upgrade. But yeah it does add a significant amount of strength to the mounting which should take some of the stress off the single mounting bolt. Even with safety washers, I never felt comfortable having a tierod hanging below the arms with no bracket underneath to support it. And y-link steering just sucks and should be avoided at all costs.

It looks really good in Instagram shots. 😂🤣🤪
And Double shear is stronger😎

That's all I'm good at lately :/

Last edited:
Thats Stellar...:rofl:
I see what you did, it took me a minute, no more Rolly Polly dead spot in the steering right?
Cool Beans. Now for the 38s....:hmm:

Another video update from Dmitriy, owner of StellarBuilt. New panhard is done, check out how high and flat that draglink is.

Last edited:
Truck is all put back together! Still at the shop though, gonna see about figuring out the front sway bar solution.

IMG_0199_20230111_091259.jpg

Loving how flat the draglink and panhard is now, perfect match on the angles

IMG_0200_20230111_091334.jpg

If you look closely you'll notice they notched the frame near the shock res to clear the draglink during articulation

IMG_0201_20230111_091334.jpg

Checking for clearance

IMG_20230110_195357_535.jpg

IMG_20230110_195407_002.jpg

Last edited:
I assume those steering arms were fabricated by that shop. Is this something they would make and sell in the future or would sales be made to order type of deal. Sweet set up.

I assume those steering arms were fabricated by that shop. Is this something they would make and sell in the future or would sales be made to order type of deal. Sweet set up.

The steering arms or the double shear brackets? The steering arms are the original from my Hellfire knuckles. I suppose the double shear brackets could be made to sell, but I think it would be tough given different heights of heim hardware, misalignment spacers, safety washers, etc. Additionally, my knuckles are the originals from Billy before he sold the design to RuffStuff. RuffStuff has since changed the steering arms a bit and they have a different shape. So I do think these would need to be custom built around your specific setup.

Hellfire from Billy

hellfire knuckles.jpg

Hellfire from RuffStuff

maxresdefault.jpg

Just read through this whole thread. Amazing work and attention to detail. Getting ready to jump down this same rabbit hole later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom