Electric Power Steering on early column? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Is there anyone out there that has done EPS on an early fj40 column? I am wanting to procure a kit to do this on my 1972 fj40 but the only write ups I have seen have been on the later columns and am wondering if it is possible or not to get this done on an earlier column? Any links to threads or pics would be appreciated. I don't want to switch to a later column.

Noah

I also seem to recall he addressed this - if my recall is good (which is questionable), I thought there was some fabrication that needed to be done to make it work. Like cutting of the column, etc.

Yeah, I even checked his website to see if it was addressed. I may have missed it, but didn't see anything.

Hey guys, it's feasible but requires sending your steering assembly to the factory for fab work. The challenge stems from the one piece steering column.

Round trip shipping and taxes will jack up the kit cost to $3000. You'll probably want to rebuild your steering box as a precursor as well. That's why such a setup is uncommon.

DSCN2016.jpg
DSCN2547.jpg

Just when you think you've seen it all....

Hi @Racer65, can you explain what exactly they do when you send them your steering column? I am not concerned about the shifter linkage as I have gone to a floor shift. I looked over my 72 column and it looks like it can be done. My question is whether or not the stock column outer sheath and inner rod can be seperated? I am thinking that a joint could be installed at the box on the other side of the firewall and then the EPS box installed in the normal location after the stock shaft is cut in this location. The only caveat would be making that cut look right where the box goes. I am guessing you could use a piece of proper rounding piping to fit inside the sleeve to firm up that location on either end. Any thoughts?

The original steering shaft needs to be cut, and gear linkage needs to be modified (not sure if that holds true for floor shift).

Once you put the steering shaft in, you weld it to the steering box. Here's what the whole assembly loos like (again, as you can see this is for a column shift car):

image005.jpg

Hi @Racer65, can you explain what exactly they do when you send them your steering column? I am not concerned about the shifter linkage as I have gone to a floor shift. I looked over my 72 column and it looks like it can be done. My question is whether or not the stock column outer sheath and inner rod can be seperated? I am thinking that a joint could be installed at the box on the other side of the firewall and then the EPS box installed in the normal location after the stock shaft is cut in this location. The only caveat would be making that cut look right where the box goes. I am guessing you could use a piece of proper rounding piping to fit inside the sleeve to firm up that location on either end. Any thoughts?

There's a "cut and clamp" procedure they use to fit EPS on early Corvettes. The clamp is not available for Land Cruiser, but you can take a look at the concept.

Attachments

• EPS for Early Corvette.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
thx for that, I think it is possible, do you know if the stock 72 column comes completely apart in two pieces? meaning does the outer shroud come off from the inner shaft that bolts to the steering wheel? as long as it does I should be able to work it up. I am thinking I start with a cut at the manual box and move upward. A joint at the box and then cut the larger shaft where the eps box sits. I am thinking I can fab up a bracket that ties into the stock bracket under the dash to add strength.

Cheaper and easier than what?

Cheaper and easier than what?

well then a comparable minitruck conversion for one. saginaw or fj60 could be cheaper. Anyhow, this is not a "what is cheapest thread". Like I said I want to do this as I have never done it and it leaves much of the stock fj40 parts in place.

Nothing at all wrong with that, I was just caught off guard with the "easiest and cheapest" comment.

I'm very curious how this will evolve :)

Don't plan on ever selling the truck. One-off, custom steering mods like that will come back to haunt you. Having been burned, I'd fork over the $$for a part built by someone with deeper pockets before I'd build something like that.

And IMO, the sector roller won't hold up in the long run.

Don't plan on ever selling the truck. One-off, custom steering mods like that will come back to haunt you. Having been burned, I'd fork over the $$for a part built by someone with deeper pockets before I'd build something like that.

I disagree. You can't call this a "one off" steering mod Mark. Been done a ton in the sand rail and many other custom car conversions. EPS is a fairly common mod really nowadays.

I'm more worried with sketchy frame mods and linkages with the conventional systems. The # of posts on this forum fixing a PO's power steering is staggering. I wouldn't consider trucks with power steering mods when I was searching. With EPS it's a simple bolt-in operation. I bought a spare column for the mod so it can be swapped back. EPS isn't going anywhere. It's been around since the early 2000s at least. Time to evolve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom