Edit: FJ62 Stolen in Portland, OR - FOUND! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad you found it. I would also like to know how they stole it?
As far as I can tell, no lock cylinders were tampered with and no glass was broken. They probably had a slimjim to pop the lock. As far as getting it running, I think anybody with a moderately worn early 90's toyota key can get these things started. Hell, a popsicle stick would probably work. There were some other vehicles on my street that had been broken into the same night that mine was stolen. They probably got their fill of loot and saw my cruiser at the end of the street and figure it would make an inconspicuous get away car.

A 1911 works great, but then again only if you catch them in the act and they attempt to attack you.....

The 1911 might be the second order of business after the kill switch. If only I can figure out how to incorporate the two?

.45-70 lever action might be better at filling the would-be thief's underwear full of poop!

As far as I can tell, no lock cylinders were tampered with and no glass was broken. They probably had a slimjim to pop the lock. As far as getting it running, I think anybody with a moderately worn early 90's toyota key can get these things started. Hell, a popsicle stick would probably work. There were some other vehicles on my street that had been broken into the same night that mine was stolen. They probably got their fill of loot and saw my cruiser at the end of the street and figure it would make an inconspicuous get away car.
I’ve heard through my buddy who works on these things that the old 60 series are easy to start. If you have a 60s key more than likely you can start many of these rigs with any 60 key. They wear out over time making it easy to steal

I once bought a running parts truck from a mechanic that worked at TLC Van Nuys back when they were off Oxnard St (California). The guy walked up to my car, pulled out an old Toyota Landcruiser key. He proceeded to open my 62 door and start my car. He said he modified it to open almost any combination of tumblers. These old trucks are a cinch to start.

Stock-looking switch in the dash makes a nice kill switch. Hiding in plain sight! View attachment 2521401
Love that idea! This one and this one are direct fit. I use the latter switch for my Hella off-road lights and it looks unquestionably stock.

Another $0 solution is to leave the transfer case in N. Only the Land Cruiser cognoscenti will be able to figure out why it won’t move when put in gear.

The 1911 might be the second order of business after the kill switch. If only I can figure out how to incorporate the two?

.45-70 lever action might be better at filling the would-be thief's underwear full of poop!
A buddy of mine just got a Henry .45-70. Gorgeous rifle.

You'd be surprised how an old 80s Toyota key can open quite a few Toyota vehicles. Land Cruisers, Hilux, 4runner....worn out keys and lock cylinders are quite interchangeable between models.

Get a group in the area together and see if this other rig can be found as well.

Get a group in the area together and see if this other rig can be found as well.
I just saw his thread come up on the Nextdoor app. I believe Rob was able to recover his 60. I’m thinking we need to get a group together and find the culprit who’s been ripping off our rigs. I’ve seen 4 or 5 get stolen just this last week, including mine.

Wellllll, couldn't be happier right now. Got a text from a friend of my girlfriend saying that they had spotted my cruiser down the street from their house (about 1.5 miles away from where it was stolen), but with different plates thrown on. Showed up to confirm that it was mine, and sure enough. No broken glass and nothing stolen, but it smelled like the jerk had chain smoked a few packs of marlboro unfiltered cigs and they left some salmon eggs in it. Called the officer that had taken the report the morning before, he cleared the report out, and I was on my way! Best case scenario.

Now, about security. Any suggestions?
glad you found it...in one piece
about security...yup, 900lbs of underfed rottie or doberman should work :hillbilly:
at one of my dad's workshops/compounds he had a rottie on 15' of chain by the gate, 30' opening. that's what you saw during the day. at night it was anywhere from 45' to 75' of chain. surprise f%$ker!

I live in the Portland area as well and after seeing a few stolen Land Cruiser threads I decided to get one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B0197FV8YU
I've been testing it out in my Corolla as my Cruiser is getting a cooling overhaul but so far I've been happy. You can set it to where it tracks every second, 10 sec, 15, 1 min ect. The GPS is very accurate and the map is essentially google maps as you can choose map or satellite view. Setting it to 60 second recording is suppose to yield up to 2 weeks of battery life and you can get a hardwire kit if you want but I'd prefer to be able to place it somewhere more discrete (the device is about the size of two quarters and 1 inch thick). You do have to pay a subscription but I was able to get 7 months for around 80 bucks. You can also setup notifications (email, but you can have your email send you a text message) that the vehicle has left a customized zone, goes over a certain speed limit, or better yet is MOVING. They also have an iphone app or you can go to their website for tracking. I think GPS tracking would be the easiest way to keep an eye on the cruiser as someone could always just tow the truck away. I plan the combination of GPS and possibly a Club or try and remember to put the transfer case in neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom