Edit: FJ62 Stolen in Portland, OR - FOUND! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

glad you found it...in one piece
about security...yup, 900lbs of underfed rottie or doberman should work :hillbilly:
at one of my dad's workshops/compounds he had a rottie on 15' of chain by the gate, 30' opening. that's what you saw during the day. at night it was anywhere from 45' to 75' of chain. surprise f%$ker!
Thanks! Glad it came back unmolested. I'd make my 90lb pit sleep in the car if he weren't such a giant baby. He's not much of a guard dog.

Anybody have experience with LoJack?
It’s been several years but IIRC you pay for the tracker and installation upfront, no monthly fee but I don’t think it does anything special beyond a gps tracker from Amazon.

Thanks! Glad it came back unmolested. I'd make my 90lb pit sleep in the car if he weren't such a giant baby. He's not much of a guard dog.
pops usually got his guard dogs as just weened pups. their diet... aprox 2lbs raw meat daily. n also trained to eat from only 2 pair of hands. if your hands weren't one those pairs......they were the meal :rofl:

I live in the Portland area as well and after seeing a few stolen Land Cruiser threads I decided to get one of these.

Amazon product ASIN B0197FV8YU
I've been testing it out in my Corolla as my Cruiser is getting a cooling overhaul but so far I've been happy. You can set it to where it tracks every second, 10 sec, 15, 1 min ect. The GPS is very accurate and the map is essentially google maps as you can choose map or satellite view. Setting it to 60 second recording is suppose to yield up to 2 weeks of battery life and you can get a hardwire kit if you want but I'd prefer to be able to place it somewhere more discrete (the device is about the size of two quarters and 1 inch thick). You do have to pay a subscription but I was able to get 7 months for around 80 bucks. You can also setup notifications (email, but you can have your email send you a text message) that the vehicle has left a customized zone, goes over a certain speed limit, or better yet is MOVING. They also have an iphone app or you can go to their website for tracking. I think GPS tracking would be the easiest way to keep an eye on the cruiser as someone could always just tow the truck away. I plan the combination of GPS and possibly a Club or try and remember to put the transfer case in neutral.
I have that exact GPS tracker in my rig. I hard wired it so the battery stays at 100% and it sends me a text when there's movement, plus when it leaves/returns within 1/10 of my house. Anywhere else, I get a location update every 30 seconds. I also threw in a small solar trickle charger on teh back side of my passenger sun visor, and leave it down to trickle charge the truck's battery since I don't know what the GPS draws, but sometimes I go a week or two between drives with this covid lockdown stuff. Better than an old phone because it uses GPS, and doesn't need a cell network to tell me where it is. My subscription is under $10/month. and I can toss the GPS unit in anything I want - a different car, kids backpack, dog's collar, etc.

The website and app are kinda clunky from a UI perspective, but the support team is the bomb. They will keep working with you until everything you want is working perfectly. I used their email support for a few questions, and they opened a case on my GPS until and pulled all the data logging info to get me squared away. Took about two days to get what I wanted. Was looking for a good hiding place, plus steady GPS connection, so tried a few different spots throughout the truck, and they let me know which one had the most reliable GPS satellite connection. Very helpful IMO.

In researching GPS trackers for vehicles, I came across some articles that say that thieves can defeat the trackers by plugging an (illegal) GPS jammer into the cigarette lighter, and it broadcasts as signal that muffles the GPS unit's signal. I disconnected power to my cigarette lighter and wired up a hidden one for plugging stuff into. I have an inverter in the truck as well, but clearly 110/120V household outlets prolly won't work for something designed to plug into a CL, and I'm hoping a thief won't start looking for a hidden one - I mean, what idiot would hide a CL socket? :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I have that exact GPS tracker in my rig. I hard wired it so the battery stays at 100% and it sends me a text when there's movement, plus when it leaves/returns within 1/10 of my house. Anywhere else, I get a location update every 30 seconds. I also threw in a small solar trickle charger on teh back side of my passenger sun visor, and leave it down to trickle charge the truck's battery since I don't know what the GPS draws, but sometimes I go a week or two between drives with this covid lockdown stuff. Better than an old phone because it uses GPS, and doesn't need a cell network to tell me where it is. My subscription is under $10/month. and I can toss the GPS unit in anything I want - a different car, kids backpack, dog's collar, etc.

The website and app are kinda clunky from a UI perspective, but the support team is the bomb. They will keep working with you until everything you want is working perfectly. I used their email support for a few questions, and they opened a case on my GPS until and pulled all the data logging info to get me squared away. Took about two days to get what I wanted. Was looking for a good hiding place, plus steady GPS connection, so tried a few different spots throughout the truck, and they let me know which one had the most reliable GPS satellite connection. Very helpful IMO.

In researching GPS trackers for vehicles, I came across some articles that say that thieves can defeat the trackers by plugging an (illegal) GPS jammer into the cigarette lighter, and it broadcasts as signal that muffles the GPS unit's signal. I disconnected power to my cigarette lighter and wired up a hidden one for plugging stuff into. I have an inverter in the truck as well, but clearly 110/120V household outlets prolly won't work for something designed to plug into a CL, and I'm hoping a thief won't start looking for a hidden one - I mean, what idiot would hide a CL socket? :flipoff2:
damn remind me not to steal yours :p

My solution is simple. Garage it when possible. And carry VERY high stated value insurance. So when someone steals it, I go to BAT, and buy a better one next day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom