driving without use of the clutch pedal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
i've seen this come up several times in the last few months, both here and in the 60section.
many already know this, but a surprising number seem to be unaware that the clutch pedal, operating correctly is not required to safely drive a manual transmission.
while not the ideal situation to find ones self in, it doesn't mean a time out on the side of the road awaiting help is in order.
i've made a very simple video, crudely demonstrating the technique.

I figured out how to do this shortly after i got my drivers license....in a 1984 2wd long bed toyota. It had a clutch safety switch....it also had a switch to turn off the safety switch. Even the very thought of creating a button to turn off a safety feature these days is unheard of.

Easy

I drove trucks (semi's) for years and only used the clutch to come to a complete stop. It's a good skill to learn for that day when the clutch slave or master cylinder takes a dump. If you have a good runner you can start in gear and keep going.

Learned to drive like this on my Dodge Cummins. I miss that truck sometimes.

I drove trucks (semi's) for years and only used the clutch to come to a complete stop. It's a good skill to learn for that day when the clutch slave or master cylinder takes a dump. If you have a good runner you can start in gear and keep going.

I had never done this before but got up the learning curve really quickly when I lost the clutch master during a winter snow storm.

Wait, hold the phone. Someone explain this further. The video is well done but I need more explanation. Do you rev the engine then completely let of the gas while simultaneously trying to put it in whatever gear you are trying to put it in?

with no load on the gear box you can " shift out " from any speed then if you are in the right rpm / speed you can " shift in " the right speed / shift

It's called 'speed shifting'. Common in the motorcycle world. Also excellent way to fly when too much mud ruins the slave cylinder.

A good tach and speedo will help a novice match road speed to engine RPM. Soon enough you'll be doing it by sound and feel.

Back in my misspent youth, I attempted to count on air cooled VWs for transportation. With the clutch hook, cables,,,, this style of driving was common, it was that or put more miles on the VW shoes!:hillbilly:

It's called 'speed shifting'. Common in the motorcycle world. Also excellent way to fly when too much mud ruins the slave cylinder.
I'm familiar with the concept of shifting without the clutch, but tell me more about mud ruining the slave cylinder?

I'm familiar with the concept of shifting without the clutch, but tell me more about mud ruining the slave cylinder?

A Sunday run turned into a 30 hour mud run when the weather turned. Mud (IH8Mud) oozing up through the body gas tank drain hole, water over the hood at the 'dry' creek crossing, winching down hill at 1AM because stuck up to top of the 33s - going down hill. Because - mud. Corral Canyon in the early 90's. Everyone on the run had serious issues with maintenance for the next few weeks getting everything cleaned out and fixed. Real mud run for sure.

I figured out how to do this shortly after i got my drivers license....in a 1984 2wd long bed toyota. It had a clutch safety switch....it also had a switch to turn off the safety switch. Even the very thought of creating a button to turn off a safety feature these days is unheard of.

2016 Tacoma......
IMG_20170511_194555.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom