Builds DRANGED's GX470 build/ownership thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Daugherty slide is iced and shut down. Oregon border in to the slide is closed. I'm standing in Wally world contemplating cables or chains. Subie's only suggest front but I might get for all four corners...

Looks like I'll be headed up to Burns then down Lakeview and over that way, it seems green road conditions all the way right now. 🤙
PXL_20211226_153005764.jpg
PXL_20211226_152833275.jpg
PXL_20211226_153009479.jpg
Screenshot_20211226-071618.png
Screenshot_20211226-071525.png

Last edited:
🤔
PXL_20211226_155828590.jpg
PXL_20211226_160208461.jpg

The answer is you get what's available and fits. The answer is you get what's available and fits.

Dirty slide is ice down. Oregon border in to the slide is closed. I'm standing in Hallmark contemplating cables or chains. Subie's only suggest front but I might get for all four corners...

Looks like I'll be headed up to Burns then down Lakeview and over that rat seems green all the way right now. 🤙View attachment 2875193View attachment 2875194View attachment 2875195View attachment 2875196View attachment 2875197
Best of luck buddy! Definitely a scary beautiful situation!

That fresh snow looks nice! And you lucky you found chains/cables. Yes, first get what's available and fits.

Not knowing much about chains vs cables, I found this link from Napa: Snow chains vs cables

I must admit I cannot tell a lie, when pulling out of the motel parking lot of 6 in of fresh powder, I love driving a Subaru in snow!! If even on all season slicks.!
PXL_20211226_162025059.jpg

Yes all and thank you, I was able to find one pair of cables. The Subaru book says if you wear chains put them on the front only, I was going to default for all four but you get what you get and you don't throw a fit you smile and say thank you. 🤙

Now, coffee and a burrito. Then we hit the road.
Best sight of the morning! 😇
PXL_20211226_161336885.jpg

Last edited:
I must admit I cannot tell a lie, when pulling out of the motel parking lot of 6 in of fresh powder, I love driving a Subaru in snow!! If even on all season slicks.!
View attachment 2875213
Yes all and thank you, I was able to find one pair of cables. The Subaru book says if you wear chains put them on the front only, I was going to default for all four but you get what you get and you don't throw a fit you smile and say thank you. 🤙

Now, coffee and a burrito. Then we hit the road.
Best sight of the morning! 😇
View attachment 2875214
I believe the traction control system on the Subarus, Land Rovers, Porsche, and others is better than the GX470. I have videos from YouTube that show these other mfgs controlling wheel spin way better than toyota atrac. That’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
All this posting of Klamath and southern Oregon brings back a lot of memories. Lived there many years ago, both kids born in Medford. Suby with chains are pretty impressive even in rather deep highway snow. Stay safe and have fun.

I believe the traction control system on the Subarus, Land Rovers, Porsche, and others is better than the GX470. I have videos from YouTube that show these other mfgs controlling wheel spin way better than toyota atrac. That’s just my opinion.
I agree Subarus AWD is superior, BUT you can lock a torsen (ergo the total AWD-4WD). 😈
I've had a 4eat auto Subaru trans and a few manuals. The manual transmission is a viscous.coupling center diff wich is great with a 50-50.torque split until there's slippage. So there awesome as long as you've got all four tires in contact with the ground.... MY IMPREZA is an 03 and the world famous Superu (my s.legaxy.awdan) is a 95, so both way before the newer gem subarus's traction control or.X-mode tech which is rad.

Oh my effing G! ,😱😑
Today was a 12 hr day!!!
The Daugherty slide was iced so the route was closed just across the OR border on NV-OR remote 140 (Warner highway West of Denio junctin) Usually Winemucca to K falls is like 5.5.hours, today was 12! Winnemucce-burns-bend-K.Falls ,😮😖

From bend to Klamath falls took 4 hours!!

PXL_20211226_164115392.jpg
PXL_20211226_171623428.jpg
PXL_20211226_210126911.jpg
PXL_20211226_182501376.jpg
PXL_20211226_213533028.jpg
PXL_20211226_190118779.jpg
PXL_20211226_191803049.jpg
PXL_20211227_000809819.jpg
PXL_20211226_192646075.jpg
PXL_20211226_181050342.jpg

Pictures not entirely in order...;)

Token lifted, ATd, Bend Crosstrek
PXL_20211227_001244667.jpg

And 80 spotted tucked back there
PXL_20211227_001057566.jpg

Hwy 97 shot
PXL_20211227_013226450.jpg

The stuffed wheel wells upon arrival.

PXL_20211227_040250444.jpg
PXL_20211227_040303149.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the BigR in Klamath? If so, not too far from our old house.

Is that the BigR in Klamath? If so, not too far from our old house.
@CO_Hunter, rad!!
When?

I first came up to Klamath falls in 1988, my aunt and uncle moved up here in '86 for my unclecs opportunity as electronics professor at OIT and to raise their kids who were 1p, 12, and 14 at the time. The two brothers ended up being star basketball players for oit during their college years of the 90s, in civil engineering...
One cousin is now a colonol with the national guard based in Klamath but has been on deployment all over (in DC right now).

But lol, No, that bigR was in Burnes en route. BigR is done in K Falls a few years ago coastal bought it out an moved shop to the old K-mart location.
Coastal Farm & Ranch
(541) 882-5548

The building is still there on 39 by Patterson, but vacant.
Dropped pin

BUT, My folks live like 3 minutes from the old Big R location. 👍

There's a Home Depot next door now.

We were there from ‘93 - 2000. We were on Sage way right off Paterson, must have been pretty close! . We would hike Hogback hill to the north where 5000 foot road is. Did some sailing with friends from work, mountain biked, road biked. I worked for USBR as a civil engineer down near the airport on Washburn Way. Used to enjoy watching the F16s doing touch and goes with afterburners. Another cool story about the base but can’t share publicly. Great hunting out there, pretty much lived off game meat of one form or another. Duck hunting was second to none. Too bad about BigR, great store back in the day.

We were there from ‘93 - 2000. We were on Sage way right off Paterson, must have been pretty close! . We would hike Hogback hill to the north where 5000 foot road is. Did some sailing with friends from work, mountain biked, road biked. I worked for USBR as a civil engineer down near the airport on Washburn Way. Used to enjoy watching the F16s doing touch and goes with afterburners. Another cool story about the base but can’t share publicly. Great hunting out there, pretty much lived off game meat of one form or another. Duck hunting was second to none. Too bad about BigR, great store back in the day.
F16 training center! They still do flyovers but that's eventually going to change with the new fleet upcoming.. I graduated (with my 4yr in 7 yes 😎) in 2000 and moved up here to mooch off if my folks until things came together (I've hiked hogsback several times!). lived here for 6 months and went crazy, then scored an arborist climbing job out of Eagle Point before my first biological science tech job score with the feds and moved to Bakersfield.

Hogsback! Yeah that big ponderosa on hogback expired and fell 10-15 yrs ago.
Here's hogsbck from my folks' patio.
PXL_20211228_160850945.jpg

Good times!

1641268359880.png

1641268369147.png

@CO_Hunter I'd forgotten your klamath connection, thanks for the reminder and filling in. 😎 👍

Last edited:
That’s great, small world sometimes! They talked about replacing the F16s when we were down there, maybe they mean it this time… haha. Bummer about lone pine, kinda iconic, you could see it from a long ways off.

@DRANGED I read your post on the charcoal canister (evap canister) for the GX470 and I was shocked to learn how much the Lexus OEM part is (you said it was like $620 when you replaced it). I just helped my son replace the charcoal canister on his 1996 80-series. Toyota doesn't make the part anymore because it's more than 25 years old car, but we found an aftermarket Delco one for $75 in December 2021. It's easily accessible on the 80 from the top of the engine and took me about 30 minutes to replace.

It's crazy how some parts are so expensive on the GX470.

If this is unique to you (meaning others are not reporting the same crack), I’m wondering if the passenger side is stressing/stretching the elbow due to movement of the other sections being further apart from normal.
The more I look for info (albeit not dedicated investigation), I see people say the crack failed at a weld. I'm not convinced mine did, but maybe, then the spiraling crack around the tube ...
1641532334529.png

These engines (same mani design) were in hundos/LXs, 470s, sequoias and tundies.

hundy/LX folks here on mud mention this failuer and of course GX folks. Not much pops up in the Googs besides mud and club lexus stuff, but i'm not looking too deeply either...

some fix with weld, others replace, others DT headers.

this is a good reaffirming read (I'm now a month in with no expected delivery time on the horizon and wifey poking me for having a reliable vehicle for winter trips, upcoming spring and spring break potential not to mention her longing for a good summer vacation)... Anyhoo, part of this updating jibber-jabber post is because I'm contemplating options.

Please PLEASE don't flame me on this 😆 , I've already beat myself up about it because but for the love ... , i can't find the old manifold!!!! EFF!!!! i was thinking i'd weld it up and patch it then reinstall it to kick the can down the road (effing eff, i think i may have tossed it away). So, I'm sorry to say so but sadly its true, I don't have he old mani to repair and install as a temp fix.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking I'd rather weld up flanges to the DT headers than weld the cat to the headers. With flanges I could match stainless steel to SS vs welding the SS headers to the steal cat tubing (cold rolled I assume), AND not recreate the awkward off-kilter weighted design flaw issue of the stock mani.

To @ArBrnSnpr and @Rednexus are your headers just tacked on the outside (but full weld on the inside)? The ilinked review talks of good chamfer-finished welds on one side and kind of flat unfinished on the other (making a poor suface for exhaust gases to flow over when leaving the head).
1641532734002.png
1641532770855.png

I suppose I should do a search or maybe start a survey thread for exhaust manifold failures. I'm curious how common it is... I supposed with enough time it could be a 100% failure rate, but also maybe a reasonable time till failure is at play too (I think mine first cracked the sad in 2019 (so maybe just under 200k? 🤔 🤷‍♂️)

So... Does anyone know others with DT headers long or short? I'm interested in a larger sample size of experiences and maybe experience through time... I've heard early gen headers had cracking issues and I think v 1.0 wasn't stainless at first. i read a long thread about a dude who had a plain steel air-injection tube, when the header was stainless, and the injection tube rusted over. Eventually DT stepped in and replaced stuff, but there was plenty of forum banter and opinion in that thread for a while.

Last edited:
Mostly correct with the exception of the flanges on the shorties. Most people are welding the cat directly to the shorty header, then bolting the Y pipe to the flange on the exit side.

There probably isn't enough room to weld a flange to the shorty header and the cat's inlet union.

Basically, the shorty header ends up resembling the factory manifold with the cat fixed to it.
Hmm. My metalurgical understanding isn't academic-level, but I feel welding the stock exhaust steel (assuming its not stainless) to stainless would impart different properties across the weld. would it need annealing? Are the DT just stainless coated? I think their site says ceramic-coated, so is there some grinding prep to remove that too before welding up the cats to the headers?

BUT, DT says just weld it up with stainless rod and dress it how you like, so i guess there's that...
1641574377538.png
1641574392156.png

But yeah I guess there's not much room, and they say to cut off 5/8" off the top to get appropriate pipe diameter to match the header outlet, and keep length to bolt up to Y-pip. I was thinking you could gain some length by shortening the downstream pipe, but there's not much room downstream of the cat before the stock flange.

1641534165986.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom