Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

once more question for you on the carpet, did you have any problems getting the side trim pieces to fit over the combo of the fat mat and matt backed carpet? just curious whether it ended up being too thick to use the OEM trim pieces or not?

Very nice , how many sq foot of fat m at did you need to do the whole truck?

I used exactly 150 square feet of Fat Mat, and that includes the roof. Its time consuming, but I am glad I did it.

Oh yeah that's right... That sounds pretty cool. I wish it came in black.

A black cutting board would be pretty slick, but might make it harder to tell if clean or dirty before using it for food prep.

once more question for you on the carpet, did you have any problems getting the side trim pieces to fit over the combo of the fat mat and matt backed carpet? just curious whether it ended up being too thick to use the OEM trim pieces or not?

Good question! I didn't have any issues getting the trim panels to fit again. I did have a little trouble with the center console though. I had to apply some downward pressure on the console as I was getting the bolts started. Once the bolts caught, there was no issue.

;)

Tis true... Really enjoying your thread and I bought a magnetic backer from eBay this morning. I have a TIG machine and I am going to weld up all of my holes too. Just one of the best parts about the 3fe was no trim pieces to worry about just FF's and the roof rack.

;)

Tis true... Really enjoying your thread and I bought a magnetic backer from eBay this morning. I have a TIG machine and I am going to weld up all of my holes too. Just one of the best parts about the 3fe was no trim pieces to worry about just FF's and the roof rack.

Thanks, I am enjoying the build...the next post will have some goodies

20140705_175623.jpg
20140705_175632.jpg
This past weekend I installed my new leathers from Shane at MetricTLC/Labrak. I am really happy with the quality and how well the brown matches the brown trim.

I also recovered the arm rests, center console and the upper portion of all the, door panels...now I really want a matching steering wheel.
2014-07-05 17.58.11.jpg

Tonight i also took care of a busted stud on the front xfer case output shaft. I sliced about 2 mm off the end of the stud and then split a nut in half, put the 2 pieces around the base of the shafts and used a 14 mm deep socket to back the nut off, cleaning the damaged thread in the process. This allowed me to reinstall my front driveshaft. When I have more time I will pull the xfer case, pull the output shaft and press in the new 100 series studs that I got from Beno. For now, it's nice to be able to turn off my center diff lock.

Last edited:
This afternoon I got busy with some last minute fixes before heading out to the Coal Mine Cruiser Classic.

When I installed my dual battery setup, I had to relocate my air compressor...I managed to get as far as removing the compressor but, hadn't yet gotten around to the relocation part.

The only available space that I could find under the hood is in the rear drivers side corner next to the brake booster. I used a piece of angle iron drilled to fit the mounting plate on the ARB and the seam edge that runs along the top of the firewall.

Since I moved the compressor from the passenger side to drivers side, I also had to re-run both of the air lines.

20140716_174005.jpg
20140716_173947.jpg
20140716_192632.jpg
20140716_192609.jpg

While I was working on the air compressor and changing the gear oil, a friend of mine was replacing the emergency brake shoes and hardware. Took a bunch of adjusting to get it to hold on a hill, but it's good now...ready for some wheeling now.

Check out these crusty old shoes
20140716_162836.jpg

View attachment 915018View attachment 915019This past weekend I installed my new leathers from Shane at MetricTLC/Labrak. I am really happy with the quality and how well the brown matches the brown trim.

I also recovered the arm rests, center console and the upper portion of all the, door panels...now I really want a matching steering wheel.
View attachment 915017

What a huge difference some nice leather makes. Keep up the good work. As it is 7/27 and given your speed, the rig should be showroom quality by now.

What are the plans for the rig? Wheeler? Expo rig?

Just saw you're in Chester. I'm about an hour away.

Yummy pads! Hey small world lol your friend thought I was you! My breaks are oh so sweet now :D...nice mount on the compressor!

What are the plans for the rig? Wheeler? Expo rig?

Just saw you're in Chester. I'm about an hour away.

Yeah I am in chester, I am building my truck to be a good all rounder. I am shooting for a solid travel rig with strong wheeling abilities.

Yummy pads! Hey small world lol your friend thought I was you! My breaks are oh so sweet now :D...nice mount on the compressor!

Yeah Ben, your truck was in having brakes done while we were werected wrenching down at Long Hill Auto.

Last weekend I pulled my transfer case out so that I could install a Marks 4WD spool, turning the case into a part-time case. Pulling the case out on your back without a trans jack in not recommended.

Once you pull the rear extension housing off, you may need to modify a pair of snap ring pliers in order to get the snap ring off that holds the viscous couple on the rear output shaft. I took an angle grinder to a pair of mine, which worked well.
DSC_0047 (2).JPG
DSC_0054.JPG

The whole process would have been very straight forward if I hadn't messed around with the shift fork...ultimately bending the detent spring and dropping the detent ball down inside the front extension housing. Due to my own curiosity, I ended up completely dismantling the case and then rebuilding with a new spring, new output and input seals. The case went back in with the assistance of a trans jack...not pressing that beast back up manually.

DSC_0049 (3).JPG
DSC_0062 (3).JPG
DSC_0061 (3).JPG

So far I am really liking the driving characteristics. Steering is lighter, acceleration is slightly more spirited and no vibrations.

Made some progress today. I mounted up my cutting board tailgate. Had to source longer toggle bolts from BoltDepot.com, the originally supplied bolts were a 1/2 inch too short.

I also started sanding down the truck in preparation for monstaliner.

20140906_171233.jpg
20140906_170437.jpg
20140906_170625.jpg

Where did you source the cutting board material from?
I got the cutting board from Shane at MetricTLC / labrak.

The board is good, my only issue was the length of the toggle bolts provided were too short. Note I do have a layer of megamat sound deadener under the board. The lower middle bolt hole is placed in an area of the tailgate that doesn't have enough room to get the toggle wing in, I ended up not using any bolt in that hole for that reason.

What an inspirational build thread. I am going to buy the Metric TLC leather kits for my '94. Do you have any installation tips? I've never done upholstery but it looks pretty easy. As usual I suppose once done, one can do a second job in half the time. I am also very curious about the Monstaliner and look forward to your experience with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom