Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can make you feel better. Every year my family would go to Trinity Lake in N. Cal to water ski for 10 days from his house in Oregon City. My dad had a flat-bottom jet that he rebuilt the top end of the motor and didn't finish assembly before we left. He finished at the Lake. Then he started the motor, drove out at about 100 yards from shore something started sounding bad. By the time he got back to shore the motor wouldn't turn over. In his rush to leave he forgot to tighten one of the rocker Ts on the 472 Cadillac motor. Those motors, the oil goes up through the cam galley then down to the mains. The T on the Cylinder number 1 was the one which loosened. It lunched the entire motor.... so we had towed that anchor from Portland to California and back.... never used it.

I can't even begin with the list of s*** that's gone wrong trying to get this thing ready for a trip this weekend. Vacuum leaks, multiple engine error codes (vacuum and ground related), and to top it off WFO sent me the wrong 1350 flange that I needed for my driveline (after paying for 2nd day air). At this point, I'm calling this weekend's wheeling trip a wash and will spend some time over the week trying to iron things out.

What a pile! I tell you what, I will trade you straight across for my 4Runner, no questions asked.

Seriously, though, that sucks man.

Found out today that all of my codes (minus the MAP code) were stemming from having the wrong O2 sensors installed. I replaced the sensors, and the codes are gone!
I've checked off two of three vacuum leaks, the third leak was the result of a bad brake booster. As luck would have it, a friend of mine has a couple of Previa parts trucks and i have a booster to bolt in in the morning. I'll also have the 1350 flange necessary to bolt my front drive shaft in by 10:00 (thankful for FedEx overnight guaranteed delivery).
I'll get that done, and load the truck up for some wheeling tomorrow.

It's nice when the stoke of luck comes your way. See you tomorrow.

Well, Cruisin' the Woods went well and for the most part the truck ran great. I had a couple of issues including a weak fusible link (too small for the alternator amperage) and a learning curve with the doubler set up (bound up the 205 and lost rwd for a bit).
Ended up having a pretty epic night run on some fairly difficult trails and the truck did great. I did have some significant binding due to the rear drive shaft though.
That binding only got worse throughout the day and some serious wear on the rear flange came about. Due to that binding, I'm now going to move the rear axle back four inches so I can get a usable rear drive shaft in place. Probably going to move the axle back with a 4 link.
I did get some carnage today that included a smashed fender (fixable) and I may have broke the tail housing of my transmission. I won't know until I get a chance to tear into the truck.
Photos and video to come.

My favorite was the character you added to your fender. :hillbilly:

Sucks about the the issues you had. But it sounds like it went well for a "shakedown" run.

:beer:

Anxiously waiting to see some pictures! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you this winter, looking forward to following it!

Anxiously waiting to see some pictures! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you this winter, looking forward to following it!
This winter? I'm hoping to have the links done and in within a week of getting parts.:grinpimp:
Anyone have suggestions for coils?

This winter? I'm hoping to have the links done and in within a week of getting parts.:grinpimp:
Anyone have suggestions for coils?

Can you keep a detailed list of parts you use for the 4 link? That’s next on my list.

Can you keep a detailed list of parts you use for the 4 link? That’s next on my list.
I will for sure.
I started going through the garage to see what all I have available and found that I have frame mounts for the lower links, a couple of 7/8 heims I can use in the upper links, and I have twenty or thirty DOM poly bushings. If I wanted to go real cheap on the links, I could :hillbilly::hillbilly: (but won't).

Okay, I've ordered ballistic joints for my lower links and heims for my uppers as well as the necessary brackets to weld things up.
Tomorrow I'll cleanup the axle and frame and with some luck (ruffstuff order has already shipped) I'll burn things in Friday.

Rear axle is dropped, and springs are out of the way.
Also, I found the transmission issue: the rear tail housing is broken. I'll order up a bare case and swap all of my internals.
20171003_141946.jpg

That is quite a change from a single shakedown run. When are you planning for the second shakedown, I want to see this fly afterwards. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom