Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here’s a better picture of the skids. They will also be a nice flat spot to use a bottle jack offroad, one I put a block between them and perches.

Also, if doing a SOA using an 80 rear axle, I’d recommend using 3-1/4 U-bolts instead of 3”. The 80 axle has an extra layer of steel and welds that make it a pretty tight fit for a 3” U-bolt, even after some grinding high-spots down. They went on, with a lot of hammering and they kinda splayed open a bit. I will probably change them out.

View attachment 1726304

Cool design on the skids. If I end up going SOA down the line I’ll copy your design.

Cool design on the skids. If I end up going SOA down the line I’ll copy your design.

Thanks. I was initially going to cut some small tube (like 3/4 or 7/8) down the length, this is just what I had on hand.

And to be honest, I they really are over the top and probably unnecessary, almost everyone with a SOA runs the lines under the springs without issue.

I’m probably the strangest girl there ever was cuz I see that brake line arrangement seriously hot. Nice work!

I’m probably the strangest girl there ever was cuz I see that brake line arrangement seriously hot. Nice work!

Hey, I do know how to please the ladies :cool:

I like your little brake like guards, if your in a crazy rock garden they may come in handy. Im considering adding bracing from the leaf spring pads to the housing flange since that is the most likely place a housing will bend. May be something to consider on yours since you got it out of the vehicle. Depends on how hard your going to use it though. I would like to catch a little air here n their with mine.

I like your little brake like guards, if your in a crazy rock garden they may come in handy. Im considering adding bracing from the leaf spring pads to the housing flange since that is the most likely place a housing will bend. May be something to consider on yours since you got it out of the vehicle. Depends on how hard your going to use it though. I would like to catch a little air here n their with mine.

I like that idea but I’m not sure how I’d build a truss there since I lowered the perch on the housing. The perch surface is only 1/4” off the top of the tube. Also, axle is already reinstalled under the rig.

Last edited:
And to be honest, I they really are over the top and probably unnecessary, almost everyone with a SOA runs the lines under the springs without issue.

Your solution looks good.

I ran the lines over the springs in 2 spring overs, just because of concern for damage, and fortunately, I've never had any. Carry some brake lines in generic lengths, and any damage in the wild, you can repair easily. I keep pre-made lines installed on my headliner handles over the doors. Make up a 2 foot, and 3 foot and a 4 foot line with flares and nuts and you're prepared for most failures. I have considered taking flaring tools and NiCu line with me and making new lines in real time, but again, have not had too.

Yeah, in reality the a rear line issue can be solved pretty quick with some vice grips on the frame/axle soft line.

The premade straight sections are a good idea. I’d store them inside a PVC tube in the tailgate...

Body mount clearanced and last original suspension part on my frame gets removed... so glad to finally be done with drill and grinding these stupid rivets out.

03F7134A-8848-4CD2-B49B-9BE8AD178DE4.jpeg

13C7FC51-261E-4811-B4E0-201C68621A6A.jpeg

95DFC1D4-6F0F-4EB1-AABD-1F26CB50F2F4.jpeg

8CFD3CDA-907A-42C1-B199-5F1DD4532CB9.jpeg

A6C3420B-01A0-4DB3-9D05-C6D8E2A60480.jpeg

27C471E4-7184-480D-85AC-7B43CC93FDCA.jpeg

Approach angle looks really good. How far forward are you moving the axle?

Moved forwards, it’s in :cool:
Gotta remeasure to be exact but it’s about 3”.

Matt-I have some really, really, nice Ford style shock mounts. Longer than usual that were custom made about 10 years ago but never installed. Let me know. If you've already got some, then never mind. But having done this before x2, on balance I like shock hoops better and it isn't much more work.

Matt-I have some really, really, nice Ford style shock mounts. Longer than usual that were custom made about 10 years ago but never installed. Let me know. If you've already got some, then never mind. But having done this before x2, on balance I like shock hoops better and it isn't much more work.

I’ve already got a new pair of F250 towers.
PM me some pics, I’m just curious.

Who do you like hoop style more?
I’ve got a JD2 tube bender and some material, but I think the Ford towers are a pretty clean solution.

Hoops just look cleaner to me. Shock towers are perfectly functional.

Anyway, excuse the garage dirt. These are new and never installed.

293A8B0F-9D67-43D4-9FEF-9B9682A953A8.jpeg
CCAD69A6-42B7-4BC3-B7A5-427CBC1FCE7A.jpeg
AF19646A-27A2-48DF-B1A1-4342D55AD2BF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom