Builds CK Excursions GX470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, long time member/lurker with my first real build on here. Please note that CK Excursions is not a business, just a FaceBook Page we use to showcase our adventures, check us out if you like.

We have picked up an 08 GX470 with 60k miles on it. This will be our 3rd unofficial build in the last 4 years, hopefully we will keep this one for awhile! This is getting pricey!

The general vibe of this GX will be overland and expedition driven, with as minimal weight and gear added as necessary to achieve the goal, get there and back in one piece. With this in mind, we will be doing all armor in the aluminum flavor, doing a top notch suspension, AT tires, dual battery system, and more!

I'll keep this updated as the project comes together.

Enjoy!

Picture from the day of purchase

phonepics 243.jpg

08 with only 60k miles is a sweet find! congrats

Welcome to the Blizzard Pearl club. You can't beat it.

The first order of business was to get the juices flowing, so I teamed up with Off-Grid Engineering to develop a "bolt in" dual battery system. A few weeks worth of work and it's in! For more info check out my full write up here

A link to the Off-Grid Engineering dual battery system here

3pics.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm loving the GX so far!

I ordered one of those systems the other day, with a little mod to get the arb compressor to mount on the aux battery :p

Very nice Dan, post pics of the install when you get it done. I will be mounting the compressor in the custom rear storage.

I have to wait and see what he comes up with :)

Next on the list of needs, rear storage. I first started off with a CAD design with most of drawn up and room to add things as needed. I decided to go with 1" t-slot aluminum for the frame and 1/4" HDPE for the insert panels. With the combination of the 2 materials, the size and function can be endless and I can modify the box as need be down the road.

Here's a screen shot of the CAD model.

Take 2.PNG

And here is a current progress shot, as of today.
frame 2.jpg

Thanks for posting the frame. Saw a shelf made out of steel on GXOR but started to look into t-slots. Are you mounting the MDF flush against the t-slot? Are you using 10 or 15 series t-slot? Looks good can't wait to see the final product.

Thanks for posting the frame. Saw a shelf made out of steel on GXOR but started to look into t-slots. Are you mounting the MDF flush against the t-slot? Are you using 10 or 15 series t-slot? Looks good can't wait to see the final product.

I'm not using MDF, I'll be using 1/4 "HDPE. This product fits nicely in the t-slot groove, and will be super strong. I'm using the 1"ish square wich is the 10 series.

Where are you sourcing your tslot? I've been kicking around rear storage as well and like the idea of tslot

I'm using Tnutz as my source. EX-1010 – 1″ x 1″ Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion | TNUTZ | TNUTZ

Since there is no bottom plate how do you plan on mounting this down to the floor?

I will use 1/2" MDF as a bottom plate, this plate will bolt into the current rear cargo tiedowns. I will then bolt the frame to that plate.

Will the drawer slides mount directly to the t-slot or to the HPDE?

Good question, I'm not 100% sure at the momment. I'm hoping I can mount to the HDPE because that would allow me to make the overall size of the drawer, a bit larger.

you've just changed my life. I am a huge fan of GooseGear, but a bigger fan of doing things myself. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom