Carrying trail tools on a soft top FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Willys jeeps had provision to carry tools on the side like this -
pic67.jpg

Land Rovers carried tools on the hood or fenders like this:
perentiev14.jpg

or on the tailgate like this:
12137859906_2108691dba_b.jpg

How would you carry trail tools (full size axe, 4x4 shovel, pick) on a soft top FJ40?

I'm thinking on the chassis horns behind the bullbar using a few pairs of quickfist clamps.

I used to have the center section of a brushguard, the bullbar , that had notches in it to carry a shovel, axe and a hilift jack. There are some very old (circa 2004) pics on the forum of my rig with this combo. It worked well, and I dont remember now why I got rid of it.

Other than for looks and the cool factor I never understood carrying tools on the outside-exposed to the elements-especially a Jack .If you ever need it you want it to function.You don't want to spend time freeing up the mechanism or hoping it holds OK.
It's like driving around with a cordless impact gun or a ratchet strapped to the roof........if you need it will it function?
Quickfist clamps can be mounted in lots of convenient spots inside the truck.:meh:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have a side mount for my high lift jack, so that's sorted.

Unfortunately the distance between the chassis horns behind the bullbar is a bit too wide to fit the tools, which are a full sized axe, a 4x4 shovel and a pick head and handle.

The plan is to have a steel plate/mount made up to which the quickfists are bolted. The plate is then in turn bolted to the chassis horns using the existing bolt holes.

At the moment I carry an old-style wooden-handled military E-tool for digging cat holes, a small garden shovel for campfire cookery, a hatchet, tree beater and a bow saw. The full size axe and shovel do a better job than the smaller ones. Why not carry the axe and shovel inside the vehicle? Not much room when the vehicle is packed. A bolt-on/bolt-off exterior tool carrier fits my requirements better.

@brian exactly what the 40 is; the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
I have one of those axe and shovel brackets for sale. Just don't want to deal with shipping out of country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom