Camp Chef Everest Stove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boozewz

SILVER Star
Threads
I just picked up a new stove from Amazon and had it shipped to me in Saudi. The propane set ups we use here a little different than the US, whereby we don't use OPD valves for the tanks.

Can anyone tell me if this flame is good? Is it burning too strong? Too weak? I am running this straight out of the tank, with no regulator at the tank valve. The stove comes with its own regulator at the stove gas line entry. (this is the first time I use a propane stove so have no reference on what is a good quality stove flame)

Also, the grill was glowing hot after only running the stove for 45secs. Is that normal?

Appreciate the help

I think you will find that the longer it runs it will start to pulse and the heat will be irregular. Even though it is warm there, when the tank gets colder it will change too. I broke my regulator and this is what happened to me. I did use it for two months that way, so at least it works.

Your fine. The flame color looks a little red to me but that could be the camera or maybe the propane isn't refined the same there?
Yes, without a pot on the grill it gets red, put a pot of water on and it will cool down.

I've been in touch with Camp Chef directly, but they've not been very detailed in their answers other than the generic manufacturer's statements.

I will run a test to see how long it takes to boil a litre of water, and will check the grill to see if it still glowing. I also found a place that sells all kinds of valves and I'm hoping they have the OPD set up, which will help in narrowing down the root cause for the way this is burring.

Thanks for the tips!

Since you are using the OEM pressure regulator I don't see what impact the type of valve would have.

Since you are using the OEM pressure regulator I don't see what impact the type of valve would have.

Thats what I thought, but it just seems the flame does not burn uniformly, with some red flames. As you mentioned, could be the propane content itself.

Ran a test to see how long it takes to boil 1 litre of water, and I timed it at 2.20mins on a medium heat, albeit there's not much difference between low, medium, or high heat. That thing burns!

Here is a thought, try to get a standard Coleman 1# style cylinder to use as a comparison.

Here is a thought, try to get a standard Coleman 1# style cylinder to use as a comparison.

I've tried to order them online but Amazon doesn't ship them internationally and I checked with a freight forwarder I use and they said no go. They're not sold in KSA either.

Reckon I can just bring one with me when I'm next in the US? Airlines are OK with that?

That would be a NO. Flamable anything is not allowed by FAA rules, makes sense to. If the canister leaked and there were a spark.....Boom!

I just bought an Everest myself and used it for the first time about a month ago- it gets hot quick! I had a (regular size enamel) percolator boil over on me while I wasn't looking. I'm going to guess that yours is actually normal too- I might be looking into somehow modifying it to burn a little cooler, or just learning how to cook differently with it. I burnt a little bit of bacon too :(

I learned really fast that these stoves throw out some serious heat. With that said I've never had the grate glow red on mine, but have never run it without cooking. Maybe you could test the temps with a laser thermometer and someone on here could do the same to compare?

Got the same stove. It puts out some heat. We are able to boil a big pot of crabs with it. Burt though a 10lbs of propane in a weekend with it. Only thing it becomes hard to open if it gets dented.

As I recall, that fat thing your hose is hooked to at the stove is a regulator. Also, I have a different stove, and the grill always glows. It's normal.

I really like my Everest. It does get hot and will burn your food if you don't keep an eye on it. Cooks great for me and the Mrs. And Pappy is correct, the brass pipe coming out of the stove with the larger round item on the end is the regulator/small bottle adapter. If you are using a 20# bottle your hose will go from the bottle to the regulator. It is a special hose available at most camping stores and Walmart. I use an 11# bottle (easier to move around and carry) and it lasts for about 4-5 days of heavy use. YMMV however. We do perk coffee every morning and cook breakfast as well. Use a griddle for bacon, pancakes, eggs...now my mouth is watering! Also use it for burgers, saute mushrooms, onions, chili, etc. Due to the dry weather can't have any open fires.

@boozewz Yeah, mine stays on the lowest flame I can get most of the time, especially with that aluminum or titanium pot like you have there. I bought a couple of these heat diffusers to help even out the heat and to help simmer when I need to slow down but haven't really used them enough to form an opinion. Plus, they add even more weight to the rig!

I have the discontinued Denali which had a small grill between the two burners, and I used it with a hose that screwed onto their metal pipe to let you use a big bulk tank.
I am now using the one lb. bottles to save space in my rig, and I did away with that metal pipe all together, and went with this hose which I like better, it just screws in better.
My stoves sits on top of my checkbox, and the hose works better than that pipe hanging off the side too.

Stansport 30-Inch Hose with Regular Appliance to 1-Pound Cylinder

Also got one of these for the small bottles.
Sorry, cannot undo these big letters.

Stansport Propane Cylinder Base
Amazon.com : Stansport Propane Cylinder Base : Camping And Hiking Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

617ryDw0TjL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EUE214/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom