Calling All Clutch Experts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'74 3 speed and 1.5F. Clutch was slipping so I had it rebuilt by a place in town that was supposed to know what they were doing. Get it back and I am getting a loud clicking noise regardless of what gear I am in (including neutral) but when I push the clutch pedal in at all, the clicking stops. Does grind a bit sometimes going into 1st or reverse when at a complete stop and with the pedal fully depressed- no issues with any other shifting - either up or down.

I took it back to the shop and got 'its an old 40, they are loud' and basically told me since I supplied the rebuild kit (he didn't want to order from MAF) it is what it is. It almost sounds like this when he removes the clip, but is constant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFveBoqrhI

Any ideas on where to start with adjustments or what may be causing this?

Did they use OEM parts (or at least a known kit) and is there any free-play in the clutch pedal? I'd try every form of adjusting before I started pulling the transmission again. You might pull the clutch cover and get a stethoscope and with helper (pushing the clutch while it's running) find the source of the noise. Be safe doing this, of course.

I presume it didn't click before you brought it in? I wonder if they damaged the throwout or pilot bearing upon reassembly?

Possible improper torquing of the presure plate. It can distort and cause the t/o bearing to bounce off the fingers on the presure plate thus causing a clicking noise. When you apply the clutch you take up the free play and noise goes away. If its really distorted you can feel a pulsing in the pedal. A good honest shop would never let that go out the door. They should make it right.

Was the noise present before the clutch installation?
Whether or not you supplied the parts is irrelevant-the shop agreed to provide the labor using your parts.Blaming an old truck and parts supplied by others is a lame excuse for shoddy workmanship.
I would ask the shop to pinpoint the noise.
Buy the Toyota service manual,roll up your sleeves,grab some tools and go to town.This way you can only blame yourself if anything goes wrong :D

Sounds like a throw out bearing issue. It may have fallen off the clutch fork clips during installation. Pull the inspection cover and look.

Also, it's supposed to grind in 1st and reverse since they're not synchronized.

I vaguely recall that the retaining clip on the TO bearing can be put on two ways and only one of them is correct (?).

Or maybe they left the clips off altogether?

I vaguely recall that the retaining clip on the TO bearing can be put on two ways and only one of them is correct (?).

Or maybe they left the clips off altogether?

Unless they're bent or broken, the three speed clips don't come off without intentionally putting in the effort to do it.

what do you mean by having the clutch rebuilt?

wondering if it is possible to install a diaphram style clutch on a 3 finger flywheel?

Last edited:
As always, thanks for the input guys - I think whitey45 hit the nail on the head, this is the most likely culprit. I called the shop and after some discussion he said to bring it back in and he'd take another look.

3_puppies, it is possible, in fact I'm told that the diaphram is much preferred even with a 3 finger flywheel (there was a reason the 3 finger was redesigned). Also, could be my flywheel wasnt re-surfaced well and isnt flat causing a wobble and the clicking noise is each time the bearing hits a finger?

I have a strong suspicion that your rebuild did not include changing the clutch hub so your fork is now loose on your old hub, making an inconsistent clatter from the TO hitting the fingers on the PP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom