Buying Diesel 6x series for DD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.handselreid.com
I read through the sticky thread about diesel conversion options before starting this and I think this could be a good new addition to the topic. If not, my bad, delete or move. I'm a forum newb.

I have been researching the different ways to own a Diesel 60 series for my DD for a few months now. The question I am stuck asking myself is whether to find an import (HJ61 or BJ60) with low miles or go with a domestic FJ60 that someone has already done the swap on. I guess my major reason for this comparison is cost of ownership. With the imports becoming more common due to the 25 year import laws it would seem parts are becoming less of a PITA for the foreign diesel models, but of course I could be wrong I am no expert in these matters when it comes to first hand knowledge. Also, I live in Portland, OR and it seems like this is a easier place than most to find good mechanics / parts.

Here are some listings of diesel 60 series for sale right now that I am interested in...

LAND CRUISER DIESEL 1HD-T , 1985,

Toyota: Land Cruiser BJ60 FJ60

Toyota: Land Cruiser HJ61

And incase this thread goes on beyond the life of these links the basic info on thes vehicles are:

1.) FJ60 with 1HD-T swap. $20,000 (seems pricey but I know that engine alone is expensive)
2.) BJ60 with pretty low miles and mostly rust free. $13,500
3.) HJ61 RHD with low miles, some small visible body rust spots. $12,500

So, this seems to be the range of options I keep coming across in my search.
What do you guys think is the way to go for a Daily driver / weekend camper / trips to the mountain in winter vehicle?
Hopefully the actual owners of these listings are members here and can chime in on additional info for the vehicles?
Or maybe you guys/ gals know something about the sellers and can approve / disapprove dealing with them.

Hopefully this is somewhat of a contribution and not a totally selfish post.
Thanks in advance,
Handsel

P.S. I am aware of my gasser options and not interested so no need to tell me how much more convenient / cheaper that would be. =) If I go with a gasser it will be a tacoma or 4runner.

if you buy someone's else's hybrid then you had better know how to work on it, or have local shop that knows. The mysteries of what the original owner does with respect to the engine and or drivetrain swap can be very expensive and likely unknown to the shop.

Also since diesels were not sold new in the US market, finding sources for repair can be challenge.

Stock OEM setup would probably make the most sense.

I have an HJ60 that has been doing DD FOR 2 years. It's a great truck. I am now adding a turbo. If you are getting a diesel, make sure it is turbocharged so that it keeps up with traffic. I only have problems on the biggest inclines, other than that 70 to 75 mph all day no problem.

I have an HJ60 that has been doing DD FOR 2 years. It's a great truck. I am now adding a turbo. If you are getting a diesel, make sure it is turbocharged so that it keeps up with traffic. I only have problems on the biggest inclines, other than that 70 to 75 mph all day no problem.
Man, thats a great looking truck you have there! I embarrassingly keep forgetting about the 2H just because i haven't seen many come up for sale. Its mostly 3B's. Im sure your 2HT is gonna rip! I was thinking if I found a solid BJ60 then I would add a turbo to make it more capable but I would be happier starting with a 2H or 12H-t.
Thanks for the input so far guys.

Hands down the HJ-61.. but I am kind of surprised by that price.. its really low.. Mine should be showing up any day now, i only have 65000 miles on it, but there was a price differnce. I also have the 5spd in mine its so awesome going through the gears, the 12HT is like a tractor... Coming from Japan, for that price over there you're getting a fixer upper. mainly higher miles (km) or rust. That still has the inspections stickers on it for driving in japan.

just looking at the pics i can see fading on the center console and some interior damage, the one rear pic there is some rust where the licence plate goes. that one has 4.11 gears and a lsd. and that paint code matches, which the paint looks like its in really good shape.

24v sucks in general, that has the old school tape deck in that one pictured need a converter to put a different radio in it. If u can go see that in person and get it at that price it could be a steal..

Last edited:
Looking at it closer there is rust issues on that HJ-61.. Driver side door on the bottom has a hole, and if u look at the steering wheel picture that door frame has a lot of rust. So if u can deal with rust issues the drivetrain/engine are solid..

A Lot of the Japanese companies that restore and sell the 60s cut the high roof and make it a standard roof because it rusts a lot from the inside.

Looking at it closer there is rust issues on that HJ-61.. Driver side door on the bottom has a hole, and if u look at the steering wheel picture that door frame has a lot of rust. So if u can deal with rust issues the drivetrain/engine are solid..

A Lot of the Japanese companies that restore and sell the 60s cut the high roof and make it a standard roof because it rusts a lot from the inside.
Yeah I noticed those areas and was wondering how bad it would get and how fast. Or how much of a pain it would be to go through and prevent from spreading. Thanks for the input on that. If it was closer I would love to see in person, but its in SoCal and I'm in Portland. Not looking amazing enough for me to buy sight unseen

I have a 2H (nonturbo) and an H55F transmission. I am perfectly happy with the speeds I can keep on the highway. I can easily cruise at 70-75. I was even passing people last weekend.

Torfab did the conversion for the previous owner, so in that regard I'm lucky.

In short, I don't think you NEED a turbo with the 2H. Maybe with the 3B, though. I also hear adding a turbo to a 3B is a lot easier than to a 2H.

I have a 2H (nonturbo) and an H55F transmission. I am perfectly happy with the speeds I can keep on the highway. I can easily cruise at 70-75. I was even passing people last weekend.

Torfab did the conversion for the previous owner, so in that regard I'm lucky.

In short, I don't think you NEED a turbo with the 2H. Maybe with the 3B, though. I also hear adding a turbo to a 3B is a lot easier than to a 2H.
I have the 2h and it's great. Also the h55. I am adding a turbo cause mo powa. Nah, really cause it still smoke black after my rebuild. It's probably a good excuse to add my turbo.

i have a 1hdt and h55 swapped into my 62 wouldn't do it any other way. i love the engine and love the fact that i have a left hand drive but it's still a 62 body. for me its the perfect combo so it was worth the money to me. others would think I'm nuts but is more than resale value to me. its the drivability and reliability that have value too. its not the only way to go by any means but i love it. i haven't had any troubles with my mechanic working on it so far. its a pretty straight forward engine but i also haven't had to do much thankfully.

I swapped in a 2H 2 years ago and love it. I just recently added an AXT turbo and it woke the 2H up and live it more. It's no hot rod mind you, the closest I can relate to it is swapping out the 62's auto tranny for the 5spd behind the 3FE.

We DD our HJ61, and I am building an FJ60 with a 1HZ/Turbo that I will DD once it's done.

But I will echo the concerns about buying someone else's swap. I have documented my swaps pretty well, but even then I shudder to think about taking one to a shop if they ever need work (especially electrical) just because it's not factory anymore. Any competent mechanic should be able to figure it out, but they will need time to figure it out, which costs you money.

At the same time, so long as you buy a very well done swap (there's a very few shops I would trust here) that wouldn't be a major concern, and daily driving a diesel 60 is just amazing. In fact, our HJ61 came out so well, that my Dad sold his gorgeous FZJ80 once the HJ61 was done and driving, because it just produces far more smiles per mile.

Dan

Hj61, Be patient another will pop up if you don't like the current find, these are great machines, simple, reliable and tractoring good looks and drivability, it's a great all rounder, buy self a FSM (factory service manual), and do majority of maintenance yourself or hand over FSM to mechanic if in workshop , and instruct workshop to follow the FSM

Aaaand.. :rimshot: another vote for HJ61 right here!
We bought our HJ61 2 years ago and it has been our DD since then. Still running strong at 648k.
It is now going in shed for some TLC. Basic maintenance like oil change, some oil seals there and here, rust fixes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom