Budget Snorkel Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454627628.521140.jpg
and it got deeper.

Sent from my iPhone

Nice. Looks like a picture in a four-wheeling how-to manual. "Creating the perfect bow wake"

Any concern with transfer case or axle breathers while doing this? I would assume you'd want to extend them first before you attempted a crossing like that, no?

If you hadn't extended the diff breathers you'd better be changing the fluid shortly after!

I am cutting the hole tomorrow, wish me luck. FWIW, I bought mine from eBay seller stoneined2009 and it has the LAND CRUISER raised lettering on the side. I am also, VERY IMPRESSED with the quality, and I own the real deal Safari Snorkel on my 40 for comparison. I do plan on changing the mounting hardware for the A-Pillar bracket from the supplied hardware to my nutserts.

I am cutting the hole tomorrow, wish me luck. FWIW, I bought mine from eBay seller stoneined2009 and it has the LAND CRUISER raised lettering on the side. I am also, VERY IMPRESSED with the quality, and I own the real deal Safari Snorkel on my 40 for comparison. I do plan on changing the mounting hardware for the A-Pillar bracket from the supplied hardware to my nutserts.

Post some photos!

can you supply some info on these nutserts?

I'm using SS rivets myself, just don't have the confidence on doing nutserts myself.

Got it done this weekend. Step by step pics start on page 8 of my build up thread. It was smooth and easy with no hiccups, maybe took 2.5 hours start to finish minus the time I let some paint dry.

IMG_0737.JPG

Last edited:
Getting ready to install my Chinese made safari knock off! Better have a cold one and steady my hand for the fender surgery ;)

image.jpeg
Despite the fact that my template looked like origami when I pulled it from the box, everything went fairly well. I had to widen a couple of my pilot holes more than I had intended but the washers are large and everything fit nice and tight. Now on to extending the breathers!

Reactions: LEX
Got it done this weekend. Step by step pics start on page 8 of my build up thread. It was smooth and easy with no hiccups, maybe took 2.5 hours start to finish minus the time I let some paint dry.

View attachment 1221683

great write up, only thing I'm left wondering about is the antenna... did you have to do any trickery to get the factory antenna to mount, or is it part of the snorkel? Any chance you could snap a picture? Considering picking up one of these but I wasn't sure what needed to be done with the ant. Thanks!

The ebay snorkel is perfectly molded around the factory antenna location. Mounts right up, no trickery necessary.

SNORKEL.jpg

The ebay snorkel is perfectly molded around the factory antenna location. Mounts right up, no trickery necessary.

View attachment 1613236
I think there may be two different EBay snorkels, where one (Safari knockoff) that extends further forward on the fender does allow for the antenna, but the TJM Airtec knockoff does not allow for the antenna because the antenna motor interferes.

Edit: I now realize there are two separate threads. One for each style and this thread is for the Safari style but I’ll leave this response just in case someone didn’t already know this :meh:

Last edited:
@Somebodyelse5

Mine was molded in around the antenna like the pic above.

View attachment 1613236

Awesome! Thanks, I was a little unclear, I guess there is another knockoff that does NOT fit around the ant. Thanks, I will probably pull the trigger on one of these :) Do you have a link for the specific one you ordered?

The Safari knockoff has an antenna bump and says LandCruiser on it, it also has an adjustable top, meaning you can change the direction it points, some folks turn it backwards.

The TJM knockoff does not allow for the fender antenna to be used, nor does it allow to change the drection of the snorkel opening, but it does hug the truck more and looks a little 'sleeker' Most of them have said "POWER FUL" on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom