Budget Snorkel Review (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So with the models listed on Ebay, some show LANDCRUISER embossed on the side, others don't, or appear to be blurred out. I'd like one with the LandCruiser on the side. Has anyone ordered one that didn't show LandCruiser on it? Did it have it on there when it arrived?

No mine came blank from Amazon, looks identical to a safari and for $109 TMD I haven't got anything to complain about!

so whats the difference in the one with the long "arm" that goes along the finder and the one that looks shorter and more boxy ?

any current links to the ones with land cruiser on them from ebay ?

I ended up going with jdm-motorparts on ebay and it did not come with the landcruiser markings It also came with deep gouges in the main area you can see. Not real happy with it so we will see what he says.

Parting lines look horrible.

EDIT______ They say they are shipping me a replacement so we will see how #2 looks_________________________________

Next Edit. #2 came in and looks a lot better my LC is far from perfect so I am fine with how #2 is and will be happy to use it at 1/2 the cost of the name brands. If you have a perfect cruiser and are anal I would say you might want to go with someone else. I will also add that I make rotational molds and we run plastic parts for a living so I may be looking to close at it lol. I did not see anything that would cause it not to preform right but I also have not installed it yet.

snorkel21.jpg

snorkel3.jpg

snorkel22.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking at this guy but I may or may not pull the trigger. If I do I'll post an update.

Go to the 80 series forum and click on "where are all the cheap dorkels?". Lots of info and turned into a riot.

Go to the 80 series forum and click on "where are all the cheap dorkels?". Lots of info and turned into a riot.

LOL yes it did between the purists and the realists!

Just an update they said they are shipping me a replacement so we will see how #2 looks
I was thinking about ordering a 70's series topper from them but now I'm leary!

I feel good about them so far what more can they do than offer a replacement. Now if #2 comes in bad then I would say they suck LOL.
Have you installed this yet? I ordered mine from the same seller, but they sent the wrong one. I ordered the smaller one (pic attached) but they sent me one like yours. They have told me that the one sent will fit a 100 series-and I am ok with either style. After looking close, this is definitely different than the OP's Safari "lookalike" but the same as the one you ordered.

Did it fit correctly?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418911502.237010.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418911515.629890.jpg

I think more companies are making these since a lot of people are buying the cheap versions. That means the molds and plastic grade will get progressively worse. I have seen a few of the "ebay" ones and seems like the first members that bought got the really good ones. I will be adding a real Safari Snorkel to my next 100. Despite the cost, I can't risk the cheap version anymore now that they are sending the wrong styles and damaged finishes.

The long one like pictured in the last photo is the one I got and it fit fine.

I used painters tape to put the template on the snorkel then kind of used it at a reference to see how it was supposed to line up and check to make sure the snorkel holes matched the template. then taped the template in place. proceeded to drill a small 1/8 pilot hole in all locations. I then drilled the large 4 1/2 <I think?> hole and found out the stock air intake is in the fender and needs to be removed before you proceed lol.

Its not all that hard a few hard to reach bolts hold it on and a few at the air box. I then drilled out each hole to 1/16 bigger than the studs and all but 1 fit perfect. The lowest one closest to the passenger door was about 3/16-1/4 low and a bit to close to the door mabey 1/16th. So I used a air grinder and elongated the hole till it fit. Covered the bare metal with black paint. Fit the snorkel without bolting it down to find where the upper bracket mounted lined it up and used painters tape to hold in in place while I removed the snorkel drilled and riveted the upper bracket in place.

Fought like HELL to get the rubber connector on the stock air box. I would highly recommend a second set of hands for that. Tightened up the hose clamp and then slid the other end on the snorkel with little trouble.

I read someplace that you just remove the blinker and try to reach in to attach the nuts to the studs to hold it on. I removed the fender liner to remove the old air intake and had no problems getting to the studs. If I was doing it again I would also take the rim off.

Have you installed this yet? I ordered mine from the same seller, but they sent the wrong one. I ordered the smaller one (pic attached) but they sent me one like yours. They have told me that the one sent will fit a 100 series-and I am ok with either style. After looking close, this is definitely different than the OP's Safari "lookalike" but the same as the one you ordered.

So does yours have gouges in it where it makes the bend ? like in my first photos ?

The one I got looks the same as the OP's other than not having Land Cruiser on it.

Did it fit correctly?View attachment 1006529View attachment 1006530

I tried to edit my post but dont look like it took.

The one I got looks just like the OP's just not with Land Cruiser on it.

So does the one you got have gouges where it makes the bend like my first one did

I installed mine today, and upon a closer look it is very similar to yours, minus the raised lettering. It only took about 3.5 hours with minimal issues. It didn't have the same damage as ScubaJon's, but it wasn't perfect. I didn't have to do any modifications for the antenna, which was nice. Good for the price, IMO.

On a side note, I did save the template. It's not perfect, but if for some odd reason someone is interested in it, I would be more than happy to mail it out.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419292813.398846.jpg

I did save the template. It's not perfect, but if for some odd reason someone is interested in it, I would be more than happy to mail it out.
Is it possible to scan it as a PDF and put it up on the forum?
I know it will probably be 2 sheets, but you could identify a cut line where the 2 sheets would splice together into one. I will be looking at getting a snorkel as soon as I get my armor taken care of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom