Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They should have the 1350 rear DC shaft on hand by now. Just in case anyone is in the market for a rear DC shaft. Sand Hollow....
For 80/100 rear apps? Finally

For 80/100 rear apps? Finally
Last August Tom Woods shop told me that they were just waiting for TG to come out with the transfer case output flange. I have not checked back with them since because I was in need of a driveline right then so I had a couple more 1310’s built. Hopefully they have the 1350 version available.

Last August Tom Woods shop told me that they were just waiting for TG to come out with the transfer case output flange. I have not checked back with them since because I was in need of a driveline right then so I had a couple more 1310’s built. Hopefully they have the 1350 version available.
That's not gonna happen. It's just an adapter you need. Someone with a CNC could whip out a batch and slang em, then we can use the Ford style flange easily.

I use 1350 rear CVs for what it's worth

It’s a little after 5am heading off to the Rubicon

32C7169B-13AA-41C6-9D7B-C5F4FD0C9413.jpeg

57BF3368-9EBA-4A1F-860F-638DDAF16AE8.jpeg

Last edited:
Richard - This is the best spot to get fuel. They always have the best price anyware and the station is built for tow rigs. See you Thursday

If you are going in through Loon Lake the best place to fuel up is Fresh Pond Chevron right beside i80 a couple miles west of Ice House Road.
Enough space for semi trucks, close to the trail head and literally on the highway with very easy access.

Richard - This is the best spot to get fuel. They always have the best price anyware and the station is built for tow rigs. See you Thursday

I like to top off @ Fresh Pond Chevron just before going to Ice House.

I'm helping a buddy do last minute wrenching repairs on his 4R. His rear diff gears let loose a few teeth yesterday as he was test driving it. It instead broke, so we spent last night pulling the entire axle housing completely out. His axle housing was already leaking for the past 5 years and we just welded the cracks to buy time.

We were supposed to do his new IFS rear axle housing and new Elocked 529s diff after the Rubthon trip. His truck decides NO and were doing last-minute emergency repairs. So we tore out his entire housing last night. We have his new one prepped and ready to weld in the leaf spring perches and shock tabs tonight. He's borrowing my 529 locked 8" diff since I saved it for my next future build. It's broken in and pretty much like new since it only has 10k miles.

He'll be up and running by tonight and we'll see you guys on Thu.

Well I would say that the Trip was a success.
I was originally signed up for the wagon run, at last count there were 26 Regs signed up for the run including my friend @Shoppy .
We arrived at Loon Lake about 3 in the after noon and set up camp for the nite, shortly after another 80 showed up asking if we were with the Rubithon Run. As we were talking he asked if I was for San Luis Obispo and at that moment Through his new to me beard I recognized it was my friend Adam with his Dad Joe that I had not seen in years and they were signed up for the wagon run as well.
WE ended up hang out the rest of the evening with Keith, his Son and his son's friend, ( they had a 60 series and were signed up for the Wagon run also) Adam & Joe, my Friend/copilot Pat and myself.
WE fired up the BBQ, Eat,Drank and told lies about all beautiful women that would hiding behind every tree along the trail Ha ha.
We woke up early the next morning feeling good and were getting ready for sing-in/teck inspection when Shoppy rolled up and asked if I wanted to run with them early before the wagon run. I told him I was in as long as we had Steve's grace's. After a short conversation with Steve ( Trail leader on the wagon run) he said it would be fine as long as we left a half an hour be form them.
So it was Shoppy, his friends Robert,Sergio,Luke and his Son, Joe and his dad, Pat and myself.
5 80s and one Jeep, we left Loon at 7:15 am 45 minutes before the Wagon run.
All was going well tell just before the Little Sluice when Shoppy droped his rear drive shift onto a ledge and broke it in two.
We discussed our options and it was decided push on to Buck island Like. As the most experienced wheeler in the group, I was elected to drag shoppy to Buck.
Before we proceeded I explained to Shoopy that If any Broke on his Reg well towing him it was his fault and if anything Broke on my Reg well tow him it was his fault also. after he agreed we hooked him up and proceeded to Buck lake.
It was a slow and difficult process. Shoppy using front wheel drive where it was easy and flat, towing where it was moderate and winching where it was difficult ( theirs some tough spots between the little sluice and Buck) We finally arrived at Buck around 3 in the after noon.
Shoppy 80 has a LS to balck box to a split case swap so even though the was some spare 80 rear drive shafts on hand they did not fit Shoppy Reg. But then all the stars aligned for him as there was a Guy with a 79 series that had a spare shaft that bolt right up.
Turn's out we had it easy as by 8pm that nite only 8 Regs from the 23 in the wagon run that set off from Loon had had made it to loon. Some had turned back, some were broke on the trail, and I got word the Keith had flopped his 60 on it side.
I wanted to go back and help ( Steve and others were on the trail helping tell well past med nite) but most of the Whiskey was already gone and I knew that was not the kind of help that was needed.
The Wagon Run decided to stay one one more nite at buck. Our Renegade group of 6 pushed on to the Spring without incident.
I was really happy with the way My Reg handled the Con, zero Issues even after pulling Shoppy for miles.
Super good times with old friends and meeting new one.
Observation point
1624981409705.png

Camp at Buck.
1624981527289.png

Me, my good friend Kenn and his Son and Adam, He had to leave early so Kenn and I went up Cadillac hill on friday with him to see him off.
1624981801698.png

Kenn in his 4runner
1624982764309.png

1624982954432.png

1624983003487.png

I wish I had got more Picks, but I was to busy spotting, pulling cable or hooking up strap for others to take pictures. I could not get Pat my friend out of the passenger seat 🤷‍♂️ 🤔 Oh well.

Last edited:
Sounds like you all had a great time but many others might not have. I wish I had been there to witness all the problems you mentioned. Rubithon, and other such events, draw a good many inexperienced wheelers so the number of issues on the trail have a tendency to increase greatly. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys at Sierra trek.

Well it looks like I spoke to soon. My battery was a little low from running the frig so I thought I would take it fore a spin, as soon as I left the drive way I started to hear a clunk noise, It sounds like a rock or big nail stuck in the tire tread. It starts at 5-8 MPH it's a tick tick tick, almost like your knocking on wood the faster you go the faster the tick.
At about 50MPH it was the loudest on or off the gas if you let off the gas just enough so there was slack in the drive train the noise seems to go away.
So far I have checked the easy stuff. All tire are clean, drive flanges and hub bolt are all tight, wheel bearing are tight, U-joints and drive shafts are tight and feel good, E-lockers lock & lock as they should and getting power to all wheels.
It's hard to pin-point were the noise is coming from, so I had my buddy drive it down the street as fast as I could walk to try to hear it to no avail.
Next I pulled the rear drive shaft confirmed the u-joints are good, there a small amount of play in the splines but nothing alarming and there no vibrations when driving it just the loud ticking noise.
With the rear drive shaft out I used the center lock to drive it around in a attempt to isolate the noise, The noise is still there but it's louder 🤔
Tired & frustrated and getting Late I put it back in the shop last nite.
This morning I well put the rear shaft back in and Pull the front and see if there is any change.
Still hopping it's not something major.
Any thoughts or input is welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:
My Birf’s click like that. More grease in the knuckles helps a bit, but they are just old.

With your new axles that probably isn’t it? Good luck!

My Birf’s click like that. More grease in the knuckles helps a bit, but they are just old.

With your new axles that probably isn’t it? Good luck!
My old Birfs click aswell. This is much louder more of a clunky sound

Well I got it figured out and it's not something simple. I was able to isolate the noise and it coming from the front third. Pulled the drain plug and it's not pretty.
1625450846230.png

Started pulling it apart I well get the third out tomorrow.
1625450948888.png

This is my first major Brake in five years of hard wheeling. I need to remind my self it's not a tow truck 🤷‍♂️ :bang:

Last edited:
They say that 37’s are the limit on our axles due to the weight of the 80. I understand that guys in light buggies can beat the 80 series axles mercilessly with relatively favorable results. You have a deadline s man……

They say that 37’s are the limit on our axles due to the weight of the 80. I understand that guys in light buggies can beat the 80 series axles mercilessly with relatively favorable results. You have a deadline s man……
My guess is Shoppy"s 80 weighs 7500Lbs at least. Towing it was not a good idea. But my motto is leave no one behind, I would do it again if it was necessary.
Should have it fixed in no time.
Lots of guys running tires bigger then 37s with out issue 🤷‍♂️ I don't thing the tires were the problem.

Ra

Take out the third and take pics. One thing to note... If its minor, I would clean it out and keep running it till it gets worse.

On my old mini truck 529s I kept running it with a few chipped teeth for many years before I swapped out.
That's not me the third well be getting a full rebuild !!! Plus it's making to much noise to be minor ;)
I'm ok with it, Like I said it's the first major brake in five years of wheeling and I like the hard lines.

Last edited:
Cryotherapy can help extend life on the gears. Might be hard to find a shop in SLO town though. I could only find 2 shops in the Bay Area that do it. The LA area had more.

Well it's out, I well be calling American Gear tomorrow.
Ouch 🤔
1625539146607.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom