Brief Review: Dobinson’s Suspension (Stock Height) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Bill F - any updates? Also do you have a wheel center to fender measurement after the Dobinsons suspension was installed?

For my purposes (family hauler, overlander, a lot of time offroad but nothing extreme) I'd really like a lift that's 2" or less to replace my worn stock springs. The more I read about lifts the more leery I get about caster issues, vibrations, etc... when what I really need is a bit of added clearance.

@Bill F - any updates? Also do you have a wheel center to fender measurement after the Dobinsons suspension was installed?

For my purposes (family hauler, overlander, a lot of time offroad but nothing extreme) I'd really like a lift that's 2" or less to replace my worn stock springs. The more I read about lifts the more leery I get about caster issues, vibrations, etc... when what I really need is a bit of added clearance.
@ZackR I sold the truck a few weeks ago, and unfortunately cannot take a measurement as such. But 10k+ miles of riding on the Dobinson's stock height, I can say I was pleased and very glad I didn't go with any kind of a lift. Even at stock height, my Cruiser barely (and I mean barely) fit into parking garages and through the port cochere at my condo. And I did not have a roof rack. Any taller, and it would have been problems. And of course no issues with caster, vibrations, etc., so very satisfying from an on-road driving perspective, which was the majority of my time with the Cruiser.

I have just acquired a full Stock height suspension kit and I would like to make sure that what I've been reading is correct, there is no need for caster correction?

I have just acquired a full Stock height suspension kit and I would like to make sure that what I've been reading is correct, there is no need for caster correction?

Correct. No caster correction for stock height.

I have a stock height dob set up and can take fender measurements.. Has about 800 miles with ARB, sliders, and 4x4 labs rear.

Thats right. Caster correction is only needed when lifting the vehicle.

I have the variable rate c59-222/c59-223 set on mine with new oem Tokico shocks. I have an arb deluxe and Badlands 12k on the front, but no extra weight in the back. I can take some measurements tomorrow. I have no idea what the springs were that I pulled off, I assume they were the oem from Toyota. That shocks I pulled off were car quest.
On road impressions vs. new shocks alone; the Dobinsons springs added another level of firmness and predictability to cornering and bump handling. (there's a single humped RR track crossing that I've hit at a few different speeds(legal and not) to see how it did.

hey everybody I too am interested in buying the front and got on Dobinsonsdirect.com and they are sold out for on the "progressive rate (stock height) (C59-210V) anybody know where I can order them, looking for new not used.

Thanks in advance

I have a stock height dob set up and can take fender measurements.. Has about 800 miles with ARB, sliders, and 4x4 labs rear.

Center Hub to bottom of stock fenders, 9.5" on rear, 9.75" on front.

hey everybody I too am interested in buying the front and got on Dobinsonsdirect.com and they are sold out for on the "progressive rate (stock height) (C59-210V) anybody know where I can order them, looking for new not used.

Thanks in advance

They're supposed to be due first week of May (so last week). I've been waiting since end of march :(

I'm guessing it's COVID related, hoping they'll be in this week.

They're supposed to be due first week of May (so last week). I've been waiting since end of march :(

I'm guessing it's COVID related, hoping they'll be in this week.
Yep, should be received and shipped back out by the end of this week. All Covid related delays with this container...

About to replace my dad's 97 with OEM shocks and the stock height dobinson springs. I'll take some before and after photos and post em up. FWIW- the OEM shocks from toyota were like $60 ea and I think theyre an awesome value if you're not going full expo.
Wow, that is a good price for stock shocks.

$228 out the door and they come with new bushings and hardware

IMG_2872.jpg

What's the spring rate one these stock height springs?
Front C59-210V - 160-239lbs - 475/485mm (18.7/19.09")
Rear C59-221V - 166-239lbs - 460/470mm (18.11/18.5")

I put new OME stock height replacement springs and new OEM Tokiko shocks in. Difference was way less wallowing around on the highway. Firmer ride over bumps and potholes, not uncomfy firm, better. A little more confidence in the turns and about 1 inch of 'lift'. The OEM springs I took out had over 350,000 miles, shocks had ?.
I have the exact same setup, I went one size larger on the tires ( 285/75/16 Cooper AT3) , I really like this setup, no caster correction needed, doesn't increase drive shaft angles, with the Wits End kit I can still mount my spare tire under the truck and it works well on and off-road. It doesn't take much to make these already capable trucks extremely capable off-roaders. Surprisingly this had no effect on my MPG, at least on the highway, I still consistently get 15 MPG. This setup was recommended by Cruiser Outfitters, and I couldn't be happier.

Great thread. Everyone still happy with their Dobinsons "stock height" setups? It's looking like a great option to get just a bit of lift along with leveling the truck out. Being able to get in and out of garages (at least for the near term) and still doing a reasonable amount of road miles versus dedicated off-roading landed me in this thread. Any additional pics of others setups would be appreciated. :clap:

Great thread. Everyone still happy with their Dobinsons "stock height" setups? It's looking like a great option to get just a bit of lift along with leveling the truck out. Being able to get in and out of garages (at least for the near term) and still doing a reasonable amount of road miles versus dedicated off-roading landed me in this thread. Any additional pics of others setups would be appreciated. :clap:
I love mine. Planning to jump 31 to 33 inch tires. It is amazing off road especially after it wears in and on road it feels like a cloud. With 33 if it does rub I’ll just change the springs out because you can keep the shocks up to 3 inch lift. Overall great money for high quality suspension🙏🏼

It has worked great for me. No rubbing at all. I immediately felt the difference in body roll coming from the stock springs. I am thinking 35's are in the near future for me so I might be jumping up to their 2-3" lift however.

Last edited:
Yes! I've been slow on pictures from the install but it was very simple. Did help to have the spring compressors and an air wrench! We ended up using a small spring spacer (shim) for the front to make it sit more level. It (like most suspension upgrades) has a slight rake to accommodate gear/weight. With the stock shocks and new sway bar bushings it feels awesome to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom