Best Mod for under $100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info @Scat Adams and @Webguy I'll check out that door handle - hopefully it's as easy to change as the belt molding!

What am I missing on the tail lights - they look like GX tail lights??

Preciate it! The T20 bolts are located on the doors when you open them up. No cover or anything to remove. The rears I popped out with a flathead and they are the only ones that use clips, the doors slide and bolt back in.

Thanks! Hmm I don't think it will be an issue with heat since the GX seems to have enough room for my arms without touching the black trim, but I also live in a somewhat mild climate and only go to the desert in the fall/winter months.

Bought the tails new, I think on Ebay, not cheap but I sold my old ones for around $80-100 to recoup some of the costs.

Ordered all of the trim from MegaZip.com, came from overseas, here are all the part #'s you need;

Moulding, Quarter Belt, Rh, Toyota
75660-60050 US $17.92 1 pc.

Moulding, Quarter Belt, Lh, Toyota
75670-60050 US $17.92 1 pc.

Moulding, Front Door Belt, Rh, Toyota
75711-60061 US $17.84 1 pc.

Moulding, Front Door Belt, Lh, Toyota
75712-60061 US $17.84 1 pc.

Moulding, Rear Door Belt, Rh, Toyota
75721-60061 US $22.97 1 pc.

Moulding, Rear Door Belt, Lh, Toyota
75722-60061 US $22.75 1 pc.

Thanks for the info @Scat Adams and @Webguy I'll check out that door handle - hopefully it's as easy to change as the belt molding!

What am I missing on the tail lights - they look like GX tail lights??

they are, but 08, so clear turn lenses vs amber ...

@Scat Adams How did you remove the screw for the rear quarter panel trim?

Pic of trim shows the hole that looks like it's for a screw. It's behind the glass though.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9bFxlSUiEw1iHGVu1

The FSM also indicates there's a screw. FSM tells you to take apart the whole inside...
upload_2018-5-29_14-8-29.png

@teejnut I just did mine as well and it wasn't too complicated to get to the bolt. You need to remove some of the trim around the window and on the c pillar . I put some pictures on the "what did you do with your 120 today?" thread a few weeks back of what you need to do.

Sorry! That picture doesn't really tell the whole story I guess. There are a bunch of clips on the panels around the window from what I remember and you just have to pull them off, some are more stubborn and I was worried about the airbag but you don't actually touch it. IF I would have thought to break it off I might have gone that route :doh:
Haha I even followed that picture you posted and still couldn't figure it out. Oh well.

So it looks like I just need to remove the weather seal and then pull out that one panel only?

Sorry! That picture doesn't really tell the whole story I guess. There are a bunch of clips on the panels around the window from what I remember and you just have to pull them off, some are more stubborn and I was worried about the airbag but you don't actually touch it. IF I would have thought to break it off I might have gone that route :doh:

Ok, what am I not getting on the front door trim piece? Just spent about 20 minutes on it, all I have tonight. I see 1 torx screw and removed that. I had to use pliers to start sliding the trim piece back (front passenger door) and I got it to move about 3/4" or so and then I'm not so far able to pull it any farther. Lower the window? help the seal against the window to clear the door frame better? more torx screws somewhere??

@Scat Adams How did you remove the screw for the rear quarter panel trim?

Pic of trim shows the hole that looks like it's for a screw. It's behind the glass though.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9bFxlSUiEw1iHGVu1

The FSM also indicates there's a screw. FSM tells you to take apart the whole inside...
View attachment 1711915

@GonzoShinyPants from my experience once the torx is removed you just need to pull up on the trim piece, I used my hands and definitely bent the chrome trim piece in the process. There are clips on it that are holding on pretty well.

Yep just bend the trim and wiggle it around and pull it up and away from the door. It doesn't really slide off, it needs to be removed vertically.

Ya they tails are a direct swap, they were actually the first thing I did on my GX a few years back. Can't stand the GMC Envoy style lights haha

I agree, the Prado trim is well worth the $$$ especially on a blacked out truck.

@Scat Adams do you recall for the tails if it's just the two bolts? It looks like one side has two bolts an done side has claws that pop in/out. No need to remove any interior pieces for the swap right? I just got my tails in from the 20% eBay coupon.

I jumped on the bandwagon. My moundings are all worn down. In addition to all the side mouldings, i also ordered the ones for the front windshield. Those were beat up too. These front windshield ones were closer to $50 each.

While I was in the ordering mood, I got the rear taillight clear lenses. Megazip.net had a 10% off coupon. Even with coupon, prices have gone up. Shipping is pricey too, but no upfront tax and still cheaper than amazon and Lexus dealers. Discounted prices:

75534-60031, US$47.38, 1 pc, MOULDING, WINDSHIELD, OUTSIDE LEFT TOYOTA
75533-60041, US$47.38, 1 pc, MOULDING, WINDSHIELD, OUTSIDE RIGHT TOYOTA

81561-60790, US$118.03, 1 pc, LENS, REAR COMBINATION LAMP, LH TOYOTA
81551-60860, US$130.72, 1 pc, LENS, REAR COMBINATION LAMP, RH TOYOTA

Its about $150 total, but here are the part numbers to replace the chrome side molding on the GX with the Prado 120 black moldings. I ordered from MegaZip.com. Will post some pictures of them installed once I receive the parts.

Moulding, Quarter Belt, Rh, Toyota
75660-60050 US $17.92 1 pc.

Moulding, Quarter Belt, Lh, Toyota
75670-60050 US $17.92 1 pc.

Moulding, Front Door Belt, Rh, Toyota
75711-60061 US $17.84 1 pc.

Moulding, Front Door Belt, Lh, Toyota
75712-60061 US $17.84 1 pc.

Moulding, Rear Door Belt, Rh, Toyota
75721-60061 US $22.97 1 pc.

Moulding, Rear Door Belt, Lh, Toyota
75722-60061 US $22.75 1 pc.

Last edited:
I still need to swap out the rear quarter panel moldings. Seems like the proper way is to remove the rear quarter panel glass :(

I jumped on the bandwagon. My moundings are all worn down. In addition to all the side mouldings, i also ordered the ones for the front windshield. Those were beat up too. These front windshield ones were closer to $50 each.

While I was in the ordering mood, I got the rear taillight clear lenses. Megazip.net had a 10% off coupon. Even with coupon, prices have gone up. Shipping is pricey too, but no upfront tax and still cheaper than amazon and Lexus dealers.

@teejnut I thought others either cut the screw or were able to remove the inside trim to get to the screw and pull the moulding up and out. Hmmm

Yeah those are the two options it seems. I'll probably try removing the trim to get to the glass just haven't made the time. The screw is behind the glass on the side closest tonthe side door.

@teejnut I thought others either cut the screw or were able to remove the inside trim to get to the screw and pull the moulding up and out. Hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom